Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ideas wanted – temporary shelter
  • DT78
    Free Member

The problem:
    Live in a mid terrace, back door opens straight into kitchen. Missus has been getting irate about mud & mess from biking – so now I have to pretty much strip in the garden in the rain(caught neighbours son smirking the other day…)

Does anyone have some suggestions of some form of temporary shelter? Needs to be able to withstand some winter winds or be quick to put up/take down. I suggested screwing a few pieces of wood together to make a porch but she doesn't want to damage the render or block light to the dining room….

yossarian
    Free Member

get a cheap tarp and put it on kitchen floor

skidartist
    Free Member

Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed! Heaven knows whats going on in there

Pigface
    Free Member

Wendy house

BigJohn

Doormat.

Can't decide if I mean you or the kitchen floor.

skidartist
    Free Member

Or you could go the full steampunk bathing machine option

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

shed?? spare clothes/dressing gown in there before the ride?

falkirk-mark

What about one of the canvas canopies that screw onto the wall
    http://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/?source=googleads&gclid=CLH02–aup4CFaBb4wod2ElLmw

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

think you better remind who is the boss!!! 😛 please god dont let my SO see this post.

snowslave

One of those pop up tents from decathlon?

skidartist
    Free Member

Isn't it quicker to mop the floor than erect and dismantle a shelter?

Simplest thing would be to jury-rig one of these

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

She just doesn't like you riding.

You have offered sensible solutions yet they are not acceptable. Kick her out and start again.

DT78
    Free Member

I also suggested a tarp, however the kitchen is small and she is often cooking when I get in, and generally no matter how tidy I try to be I get crap everywhere – even if I clean up it winds her up – hence changing outside.

I'll take a look at the awning suggestion. Anyother (helpful) ideaS?

Edit – small garden and small shed (which is full of bikes so no space for me to change either)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Lean-to shed/greenhouse alongside the back door? My Grandad used to have one up against the backdoor on Hoy (a place that is very good at winter weather) – kind of like a conservatory but much cheaper and more basic.

And you can grow tomatoes in it 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Come home, take plastic bag out of backpack, take my shoes off outside, take off socks usually my feet arent muddy, walk to the bathroom get in bath, take off clothes, put in bag, have a shower clean bath of any mud – done.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think you've misunderstood her. She's just dropping subtle hints that she wants some new cleaning products as a Christmas present.

gusamc
    Free Member

free – let neighbours smirk and strip off in garden (I do) when at gfs
    (*if attractive lady neighbous write phone no on bum in case they are using binocs)
    few quid – shower curtain (etc) on floor, dump kit, bath+washing machine as appropriate *you won't fit in one
    expensive and silly – Stalker awning with home attched curtain

snowslave

Seriously, get a cheapo pop up tent. They'd be great for this.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think you've misunderstood her. She's just dropping subtle hints that she wants some new cleaning products as a Christmas present.

Joke of the week for me 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

im in the same situation but at the back of our house it goes into tiny room before i walk into the living room. i normally strip off in the tiny room.

what is the problem if you walk into the kitchen, must have tiled floor? just get a big mat and chuck all your bits straight into the washing machine???

the awning's are crap unless you spend the wonga on a tidy one, but then you could have probably stuck up a tidy shelter for that money!

i feel sorry for you as my wife just laughs when i come home covered in crap.

bigbloke
    Free Member

what about one of those rubber boot liners that have a raised lip around the edge?

you can then pick it up and chuck all the dirt out in the bin or wherever.

just a thought.

something like this……..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-FORD-FIESTA-RUBBER-BOOT-MAT-LINER-2008-2009_W0QQitemZ330353475665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cea9a0051

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ideas wanted – temporary shelter’ is closed to new replies.