Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ideas for building a 30lbs all mountain hardtail
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Hey all,

I’ve decided to jump in at the deep end and build a bike from the frame up. I was going to buy a complete but then a Sinister ridge frame came up for sale and I couldn’t resist!

What I’m looking to build is a ‘do everything’ bike. The bike needs to be able to climb reasonably and do xc type riding as well as blasting downhill and doing jumps and drops. Ideally I’m looking to get it around 30 lbs as that seems to be a good balance between being hardcore enough and not a total dog on the climbs. I have a pretty limited budget, so most of the bits are going to be from ebay.

Ok so I have the frame and have a fairly good idea of the forks I’m after (140mm, pikes, marzocchi all mountain etc) but the rest is undecided.

I’ve been out of the Mtb game for about 15 years, so am not up on all the new gear.

What are the areas I should be looking to spend a bit more money on and which bits can I get away with spending less?

If you had 500 quid to build a hardtail (frame already paid for) from second hand bits what kind of stuff would you choose?

Ideas for drivetrain, wheels, brakes, etc would be great 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sell the sinister and make a cheeky offer for this:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-cotic-soul-large-3

?

lardman
    Free Member

Deore disks… cheap as, and very solid performers built onto deore hubs, laced to any durable mavic rim.
    Easton vice stem, easton bars. Good, cheap, and strong.

SLX cranks, mechs, and shifter bits.

Go for older second hand Marzoochi fork(pre 2006), reliable, and bombproof.

You might be able to get most of these bits new for 500 (if you can find a second hand pair of forks..

wors

Get the deore kit from merlin 300 quid leaving 200 for forks

thomthumb
    Free Member

might be tempted by this

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Groupsets+-+MTB/Deore+590+Disc+Groupset++MT15+Factory+Wheels_2200.htm

although i appreciate the change doesn’t leave with much scope for forks/ seat bar and stem.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

**** that, go 2nd hand.

I built my mate a similar sort of hardtail for £450ish and that was with a brand new drivetrain, near enough new brakes and forks and a decent set of hope/mavic wheels.

kudos100
    Free Member

Pretty much looking for second hand bits only as I’ll get more for my money. Cheers for the suggestions so far 🙂

RustyMac
    mboy
    Free Member

Forks – 2nd hand Pikes for defo, coil ones as they work better and are more reliable
    Wheels – Something like a Mavic X719 rim (not too heavy, not too light) on something like Deore or XT hubs probably. Any nicer hubs will blow the budget.
    Brakes – Anything Shimano. They all work pretty well, all are reliable, you can pick up something like a Deore setup with rotors for pretty cheap I’d say
    Cranks – Forget ISIS, go for some Hollowtech 2. The bearing life is getting better now, the cranks are all very strong. Anything from Deore up is HT2 now.
    Gears – Deore is perfectly adequate and works well, so will take care of your shifters, mechs, casette etc. Spend more if you want to, but it’s worth keeping your money for elsewhere if you’re on a budget
    Bars/Stem/Seatpost – Look for brands like FSA, Easton, Raceface. You probably won’t afford Thomson. Be wary buying 2nd hand bars, look for very good condition and potential crash damage.
    Saddle/tyres/grips – Your preference. Don’t need to spend much on a saddle these days, £20 gets you a Charge Spoon brand new. Grips probably Lock ons of your preference. Tyres wise, can’t go wrong with a Maxxis High Roller of some variety.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi Kudos, I’ve got loads of spares I want to get rid of but I only ever get round to putting a few at a time on the classifieds.

Could do you a good deal if you wanted to buy a number of bits: Seatposts, bars, stems, saddles, tyres, mechs, chainsets etc.

My email is in my profile if interested and I can do a list.

cam1275
    Free Member

my advice is dont go any higher than XT level or youll wear it out fast if you ride alot!!!!

kudos100
    Free Member

Thanks mboy, really helpful. I have no clue about hollowtech etc, last time I was riding it was square bb and not much else!

I’d be interested to see what you have chakaping, will send you an email.

BadlyWiredDog

my advice is dont go any higher than XT level or youll wear it out fast if you ride alot!!!!

Is that a convoluted way of saying don’t buy XTR on your very tight budget? And isn’t anything going to wear out if you ride a lot? But good advice 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

is that my Sinister Ridge Kudos? Picked up in London on Sunday?

kudos100
    Free Member

Yep that’s the one simon 😀 Turns out it is a large after all

mogrim

3rd Deore brakes, excellent vfm. Deore drivetrain will work just fine, too – you can start upgrading as bits wear out.

psychle
    Free Member

Yep that’s the one simon Turns out it is a large after all

Thought it was just too big to be a medium… what year model is it, did you figure it out?

kudos100
    Free Member

Thought it was just too big to be a medium… what year model is it, did you figure it out?

Just waiting to hear back from FTW. He asked me to send him some pictures so he can have a go at identifying it.

Xylene
    Free Member

I built a 21″ Wanga frame up to 31.4lbs for under 500 quid.

XT front and rear mechs 2nd
    FSA V-line (?) cranks new but 2nd
    New deore rear cassette new
    new dp17 rims on formula hubs new but 2nd
    Tora RS 318 forks 2nd
    Titec Hellbent bars new (9.99, bargain, still on offer i think)
    Exxotic Stem new
    WTB V something or other seat new but 2nd
    Titec seatpost 2nd
    V8 copies
    Geax barro mountain tyres (new) secdon hand
    cables all new.

Came in at 31.4lbs, I was chuffed at that considering it included the cost of the frame, it was a smidgen under 500

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Forks – 2nd hand Pikes for defo, coil ones as they work better and are more reliable
    Wheels – Something like a Mavic X719 rim (not too heavy, not too light) on something like Deore or XT hubs probably. Any nicer hubs will blow the budget.
    Brakes – Anything Shimano. They all work pretty well, all are reliable, you can pick up something like a Deore setup with rotors for pretty cheap I’d say
    Cranks – Forget ISIS, go for some Hollowtech 2. The bearing life is getting better now, the cranks are all very strong. Anything from Deore up is HT2 now.
    Gears – Deore is perfectly adequate and works well, so will take care of your shifters, mechs, casette etc. Spend more if you want to, but it’s worth keeping your money for elsewhere if you’re on a budget
    Bars/Stem/Seatpost – Look for brands like FSA, Easton, Raceface. You probably won’t afford Thomson. Be wary buying 2nd hand bars, look for very good condition and potential crash damage.
    Saddle/tyres/grips – Your preference. Don’t need to spend much on a saddle these days, £20 gets you a Charge Spoon brand new. Grips probably Lock ons of your preference. Tyres wise, can’t go wrong with a Maxxis High Roller of some variety.

+1 it sounds like my bike.

br
    Free Member

I’d be aiming for something lighter.

My 456 came in at under 30lbs with 2.4 tyres and a pair of Fox 36’s.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’d be aiming for something lighter.

My 456 came in at under 30lbs with 2.4 tyres and a pair of Fox 36’s.

I wouldn’t complain if it was lighter, but I doubt that it will be considering my budget.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for building a 30lbs all mountain hardtail’ is closed to new replies.