Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ideal position for an on/off switch for a helmet light.
  • juiced
    Free Member

Soon to rebuild my helmet light and wondered what you guys would think is the ideal position for a one inch long on/off switch.It has a thumb operated switch and is held by the fingers in a cletched fist motion. I usually use this alot during a ride and i.e. do not just turn it on/off once.

Previously had the switch about two inches from the actual light bulb, behind the bulb, with all the wires going straight back into my backpack behind my head and to the cells which worked well.

This worked well as i just pushed my hand up and if i couldn’t find the switch just felt the lapmp unit casing which then led the the switch. Also the switch was faced backards so felt naturqal for my thumb to operate it.

Just wondering if I could improve this at all.

I could also run wires under my arm from the backpack and to the side of my neck, thus enabling a switch to be positioned near my chest or clipped on to the chest hardness of my backpack. However don’t like the idea of pulling my hand into my body so much and the underarm wires may be a bit prone to snagging and clashing with the hydration pack’s pipe.

Any ideas/ views?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just had 2 ‘lamps’ each arround 240lumen.

one on all the time

one on and off when I needed more light

switches on the back of the lamps

worked just fine.

I’d love a ‘tech’ button on the bars though, that dropped the seat, unlocked the suspension, turned the lights up, etc etc, would be ace!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have done this 3 ways when home building lights. On the back of the light unit as a pushbutton – compact and relatively easy to use. simple wiring.
    As a toggle switch on the side of the helmet just above the ear – easy to use. In line switch so wire from light unit to switch to battery

As a toggle switch on a longer flying lead so it can be placed on the rucksac strap. wires ran from lamp to a junction on the top of shoulder then from teh junction one to switch one to battery.

Side of helmet is best IMO

juiced
    Free Member

thanks guys that’s great. Side of helmet sounds good, although I may need to add some velcro to my pisspots due to lack of holes. I think the ideal position allowing for helmet type swaps for a helmet mounted switch and my inch long barrel shapped switch push button switch, would be to attached it to the actual helmet strap somehow, running from ear to top of head, with switch at top.mmm

juiced
    Free Member

i’ve successfully mounted the switch on the chinstrap of my pisspot at the side vent ofmy xc helmet. using a thin shoe string and curley wire that wraps around the strap. button is on the bottom.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ideal position for an on/off switch for a helmet light.’ is closed to new replies.