Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • IDE HDD enclosure
  • stayhigh

Morning all

I’ve got an old 160gb ide hdd that I was going to give to my son to use as an external drive for his xbox.

I can’t seem to find an enclosure that’s big enough for it as it comes in at a hulking 4″ wide.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of something suitable please?

Thanks

CraigW
    Free Member

A standard 3.5″ hard drive is about 4″ wide. So just look for a 3.5″ IDE hard drive enclosure.
    eg this should work: http://www.ebuyer.com/454208-dynamode-usb-2-0-powered-external-housing-for-3-5-sata-ide-usb-hd-3-5si-1-a
    Or plenty of them on Ebay.

Note it will probably require an external power supply, it won’t get enough power from USB.

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s a 3.5″ IDE how about one of these? Probably worth more than the drive though, and the separate power supply’s a PITA.

Edit – too slow. Mine’s cheaper though!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

4 inch?? 3.5 Shirley?

EDIT. You snooze, you lose 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

4 inch?? 3.5 Shirley?

What’s commonly referred to as a 3.5″ drive has a platter size of about 3.74″, so 4″ form factor is about right IIRC.

stayhigh

That’s great, thanks for that 🙂

mattyfez

Empty hard drive caddys are available for about £10.. Ideal for plopping in old hard drives.. Yes they are more bulky than buying a purpose manufactured external drive.. But hey, whatever.

Cougar

What’s commonly referred to as a 3.5″ drive has a platter size of about 3.74″, so 4″ form factor is about right IIRC.

It’s known as a 3.5″ drive because it fits in the same drive bay as a 3.5″ floppy drive. The floppy disks are 3.5″ so the drive is a bit bigger than that.

Dunno as it’d be much cop for an Xbox One drive though, it’s not very big (capacity wise) and will probably be painfully slow. (And AFAIK, you can’t add an external drive to a 360 in any sort of useful manner.) You’d be better off getting a nice USB3 job for the purpose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘IDE HDD enclosure’ is closed to new replies.