Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • iDave recipes please, no arguing, just recipes!
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been done to death, but searches only bring up arguments from people with no intention of losing weight.Yesterday was day one for me and my dinner was delicious!

http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-crock-pot-moroccan-chicken-chickpea-and-apricot-tagine-137530

I left out the cornflour and used carrots instead of apricots and served with butterbean mash and broccoli.

Dinner will be easy, it is quick breakfasts and lunch that seem more difficult.

rewski
    Free Member

I just had a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, to save time I micro for 1 min then stir, add salmon trimmings, dead cheap, stir again, black pepper, done. Might add beans tomorrow.

Get some gram flour too, make chapatis if you’re missing bread.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Sounds good, except I hate salmon! I’m sure I can find some tasty meat to substitiute with though. Flat bread sounds good though.

Stoner
    Free Member

cant stand gram flour, but have fallen in love with Qunioa.

great lunch snack: Qunioa made with tom yam soup paste. Drop some flakes of chicken in it too and whatever chopped peppers/spring onions etc you fancy to make it into a dinner.

Scrambled eggs and poached smoked haddock for brunch.

Normal dinners with carrot and swede mash with lashings of butter and black pepper.

BoardinBob

Butter isnt allowed???

Stoner
    Free Member

Im not a fundavementalist

scruff
    Free Member

Bacon & Egg,
    Sausage & Egg,
    Steak & Egg,
    Ham & Egg,
    Chicken & Bacon,
    Bacon & Ham,
    Steak & bacon,
    Lettuce.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m spotting a common theme there scruff. 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Spam
    Spam & Egg
    Egg & Spam
    Spam, Spam, Spam & Egg

BenjiM

4 Bean Salad. 3 Meals worth.
    Sainsburys currently have 5 for £2 on al tinned pulses.
    Mixe 1 tin Aduki Beans, 1 tin Kidney Beans, 1 tin Borlotti beans, 1 tin Black eyed beans. Rinse thouroughly.

Vinaigrette dressing from White wine vinegar, mint sauce, some chilli flakes, lazy garlic, olive oil and black pepper.

Grilled turkey/chicken breast as much as you like. Or chorizo (cooked as this gets rid of a lot of the fat if you fry it.

Snack – Home made houmous (can control the amount of garlic in it at least, so as not stink work out and so my wife comes near me. with a whole celery.

Prawn Lentil curry (a few meals worth)

Red Lentils, Curry powder (however hot you want it), Onions, Prawns, Garlic, Tinned toms. Pretty simple to put together.

Tip of the day get some small snap lock microwaveable boxes that you can use for individual dinners. Don’t need anything massive particularly, but allows you to amke them all in go for the week or freeze if necessary.
    Something like This

CaptJon
    Free Member

any meat or fish + salad

Bagstard
    Free Member

Good stuff there BenjiM, I have a mixed bean, tuna and chilli salad for lunch today.

iDave
    Free Member

cauliflower rice: grate a whole cauliflower, chop an onion up tiny small, and stir fry the buggers together, with seasoning and spice/herbs to suit what you’re cooking

cauliflower is also great for mashing with parsnip, butter beans, garlic, olive oil. My kids now prefer cottage pie with this mash over spud mash.

I tend to just make normal food, minus the starch and sugary stuff. Replace with veg and beans. Lots of Moorish food, which is quite moreish.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I will try the cauliflower, sounds good!

Stoner
    Free Member

like the cauliflower tips. Will have a go.

I tend to just make normal food, minus the starch and sugary stuff.

Pretty much how Im interpretating the diet. And it’s going well. weight loss slowing down (lost about 9lbs), but Im trimmer (Mrs S giving compliments! 😯 ) But I feel better. That’s the definite plus.

And when I do snarf on naughty cabs before a ride, I go like a bloody rocket 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ha, good stuff iDave. Just as well we bought cauliflower futures last week.

Everyone. Eat more cauliflower. Eat less eggs.

iDave
    Free Member

Cauliflower and cauliflowered cauliflower, in a cauli and flower sauce. Egg free and healthy. Yum.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I make a big beef stew at the start of the week with Carrots, parsnips, celery, tomatoes, onion, garlic.
    add in a couple of tins of mixed / borlotti beans or lentils
    Season and a bit of paprika to taste.

That then serves as lunch all week at work

Breakfast is scrambled egg and meat of some kind, maybe some veg if theres any left over from the night before ?

Dinner has been stirfry with veg beans and Chicken in piri piri seasoning
    Venison Burgers, home made Guacamole, little bit of cottage cheese, and bean/cauliflower/parsnip mash

Omelettes are always a winner too

there is a 4hr body recipies pdf floating around somewhere….. I have it saved if you want a copy ? but I dont have the link ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oops.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Meant to ask too…..
    Found I had the really pleasant “atkins breath” last night which I wasnt expecting ?
    Has anyone else had this ? what am I doing wrong ?
    I`m drinking plenty of water, I can only put it down to needing more veg / legumes in the diet ?
    Anyone ?

I`m second week in now, weight loss has slowed on a day to day basis, but I suppose a lot of the first week is water loss anyway ?

Any advice gratefully received
    Cheers
    Dom

cr500dom
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Oops.

Am I doing it wrong ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No dude, I had an attack of double postage. 🙂

BoardinBob

Last night’s dinner was braised chicken thighs with turnip mash

Chicken thighs

Season some chicken thighs
    Lightly crush three cloves of garlic with the back of a knife
    Add two table spoons of olive oil to a frying pan and put on a high heat
    Once the pans hot fry the chicken thighs on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown
    Once browed add 150ml of hot water, the crushed garlic cloves and some sprigs of thyme to the pan & reduce the heat to low
    Cover the pan loosely with a lid
    Cook for 20 minutes then turn the chicken over and cook for another 20 minutes
    Once cooked leave the liquid in the pan and remove the chicken and keep it warm
    Turn the heat up to high and reduce the liquid in the pan to about a 1/4 of the original volume

Turnip

Peal and dice a small turnip
    Add to a pan filled with cold water and salt
    Put it on to boil with a lid on
    Once it starts boiling remove the lid slightly and continue to boil for 10 minutes
    Once cooked drain the water, mash the turnip and add plenty of black pepper
    Because you can’t add milk or cream the turnip will probably be quite dry so once mashed, add the reduced liquid from the chicken pan to the turnip mash and mix well. Yum.

Plate up and serve

scruff
    Free Member

Butter bean mash is nice, especially with loads of garlic.

motivforz
    Free Member

I believe atkins breath is due to going into ketosis, where your body is pretty much burning fat only. This is good if your aim is body fat reduction, but obviously isn’t a pleasant side effect. I think the solution is to eat more carbs (through beans and vegetables), but someone else who knows more will be able to confirm this I hope.

If you do exercise then you could have some simpler carbs (pasta/bread) afterwards, which might kick your body out of ketosis? I’m just posturing here though, the exercise bit may stop you from coming out of it.

Bagstard
    Free Member

cr500dom, if you could send a copy that would be great. Email in profile, cheers.

Some good ideas, keep them coming.

BoardinBob

I’ve got ketostix at home and I find that post exercise I’m in ketosis but generally come back out once I’ve had something to eat.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m just posturing here though,

Postulating, shirley?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Well yes, the aim is certainly to burn fat, and I know it wont do me any harm but I had hoped the iDave route would not involve dinosaur breath like Atkins 😀

I have my stew for lunch but just been up to the canteen for coffee and they have veg on today so I`ll get a plate of veg to go with it.

Bagstard, I`ll fire it over 😉

simon_g

We do cauliflower rice, but I just grate and bung it in the microwave for 3 mins. It’s usually going with a curry of some sort so doesn’t need anything else in the way of flavouring.

We do a breakfast of scrambled egg and gram flour pancakes (pudla? like this, but grate up whatever veg are handy and allowed). Make up a big batch, goes in the freezer in small tubs, take one out each night for the morning.

Lunch for me is normally chicken* salad of some sort, sometimes soup.

Dinner – bean chillis, stirfrys, curries (mung beans are good as they don’t need pre-soaking), veg sausages & butterbean mash, etc.

* I’m veggie at home as my Mrs is, but normally make or buy lunch and it’s an easier protein fix!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i just go half a tin of baked beans for lunch, breakfast is 2 eggs quikly scrambled. dull are’nt i!

cr500dom
    Free Member

Are Baked beans “Allowed” on iDave then ?

Only wondering as it would make beans for breakfast bearable….

I had a look at the “Reduced sugar and salt” ones but they still have sugar way up on the ingedients ?

iDave
    Free Member

Not allowed on my version, apart from on Saturdays

maxray
    Free Member

half a tin of baked beans!! That is like a lunch kicker before the real thing.. 😀

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Baked beans ming anyway. Chickpeas and vindaloo sauce, much more like it.

zilog6128

iDave

Not allowed on my version, apart from on Saturdays

is it best to have the same day off every week or does it not really matter?

jamest
    Free Member

Day off up to u, I make it Saturday, works well with curry and beer schedule, though last week it was Sunday as I had a huge roast dinner with Roast tatters

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Bummer. I’ve been doing it wrong then. Baked beans have been a staple “nothing else in the cupboard and I can’t be arsed preparing anything” option.

A decent breakfast option that adds a bit of variety is huevos revueltos – Mexican scrambled eggs.

Chop a pepper, a chilli and a couple of spring onions, let them soften gently in some oil, then whack in some beaten eggs and a bit of fresh or frozen coriander and just cook them as scrambled eggs till you get ’em how you like them.

These go well with refried kidney beans – chop up an onion and slice or two of bacon and soften it in oil, whack in a tin of kidney beans and a splash of water, mash the beans in the pan and mix through with the onions etc, and adding more a little more water if the mixture gets too stodgy, until you end up with a rough, beany, oniony puree. Season liberally to taste – it can be a bit bland if you don’t.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cauliflower. Eat more cauliflower.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

damn. i thought baked beans were fine.

is it just because of the sugar then? otherwise they are just haricot beans and tomato sauce, both of which i thought were ok.

oh well, back to the chickpeas and tuna lunch for me then!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘iDave recipes please, no arguing, just recipes!’ is closed to new replies.