Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • I'd like to lock them to the railings and remove their fingers one by one . . .
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

. . . with their bolt croppers! 😈 👿 😈 👿 😈 👿

**** scum!! 👿

Came out of work this afternoon to find my Abus Steel-o-flex cable lock all but cropped through – New York Lock was intact but one of the school railings was half cropped also. The b@stards were either disturbed or had gone for more tools. This was the Slopestyle's last commute as I've been becoming increasing paranoid of late (not unfounded either after today's events) and just treated myself to a BMX cruiser for town duties.

RealMan
    Free Member

Using a bike like that for commuting you're very lucky it didn't get nicked sooner. Unless a bikes being kept indoors somewhere totally secure, using anything worth over £300 for commuting is just nonsense.

You're very lucky they didn't manage to nick it as well.

Have fun on the bmx, they're awesome.

zaskar
    Free Member

Unlucky, hope it was insured.

B'turds!

using anything worth over £300 for commuting is just nonsense

Why shouldn't he use a nice bike to commute instead of rding a pile of rusty cogs?

mamadirt
    Free Member

It's safe behind me Zaskar 😀 . Reckon it may have been a different story if it'd had been my day to stay until 3.30.

Funny, you assume that two pretty big locks would be enough. You live and learn, eh?

RealMan
    Free Member

Funny, you assume that two pretty big locks would be enough.

No, I think the most any lock can hold a thief for is about a minute. So two locks might mean 2 minutes. If they want your bike and they have the tools, they will have it. Locks only delay thieves and stop opportunists. That's it.

Why shouldn't he use a nice bike to commute instead of rding a pile of rusty cogs?

For the exact reasons this thread was started, of course. And just because its under £300 doesn't make it "a pile of rusty cogs". Two of my favourite bikes are both under £100 each.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because it WILL get pinched eventually.

Dylan08
    Free Member

commuting on a Slopeside – are you a complete nutter or just a show off?

Its 2010 chap!

Enjoy the cruiser tho!

highclimber
    Free Member

Price makes no difference IMO. these people are opportunist scoundrels. they are just after the buzz of nicking! its twisted but i don't think a scally would know a halfords special from his santa cruz cameleon! maybe?!

Bregante

I mjust admit I sold my carbon sirrus and got a fixie about 2 years ago for the same reason. then I sold the fixie because they started getting swiped too as people caught on to the fakenger thing. I now ride a crappy yellow roadie covered in stickers that won't draw too much attention. funny thing is it goes like stink and there's something deeply satisfying about riding something really cheap to work. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I rode my Dura Ace and Power Tap equipped Trek Madone to work today. Hopefully it'll still be there later…

foxyrider
    Free Member

my 2p 😉

No reason you can't ride a ncie bike to work, however I ride my moderately valuable bikes to work but I don't padlock them outside out of eyeline – I put it in our tea room – pride of place – I do have to mop up the floor in the winter though 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Price makes no difference IMO. these people are opportunist scoundrels. they are just after the buzz of nicking! its twisted but i don't think a scally would know a halfords special from his santa cruz cameleon! maybe?!

No, they know an expensive bike from a cheap one.

zaskar
    Free Member

I agree with you Realman, it may attract more attention, but any bike will get nicked.

But it should not stop anyone using a nice bike for anything.

Why should we let the criminals ruin our enjoyment of riding a nice set of wheels? why should we have to ride shoddy bikes or disguised nice bikes? its like bowing down and saying fine you win.

Leaving a Ferrari in a dodgy neighbourhood is one thing but thats why its insured. You have every right to walk down a dark alley but you could get mugged…

Get your bike insured, lock it safely and chop those theiving hands off.

mamadirt
    Free Member

commuting on a Slopeside – are you a complete nutter or just a show off?

Both Dylan 😉 . No, I do like being just a one-bike (at a time) woman . . . it gets ridden everywhere (I'll think twice about that now though), plus I work just mornings and having a cracking little d/h ride home through the woods. Still, it'll be interesting on the cruiser.

Get your bike insured, lock it safely and chop those theiving hands off.

Yeah, I was pretty convinced it was safe . . . two substantial locks, in full view of several classrooms. I'm guessing it happened at lunchtime and the bike was pretty well hidden behind a 'visiting technician's' van 😕

wwaswas

why is everyone assuming that mamadirt is a bloke?

I do like being just a one-bike (at a time) woman

albeit that there always seems to be a new one on the way 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Its impossible to lock bikes safely though. Unless its in your office under your eyes all day (or similar) its going to be a target.

I commute either on my 2nd hand decathlon road bike, which cost £100, and has done me well for around 10,000 miles, or my bmx which I paid less then £100 for. I love them both. I love riding them both. For commuting they are both quicker then my £2.5k mtb, and just as fun, if not more.

There's nothing to stop people from riding their nice bikes to work, if they want to risk lots of money just so they can show off to the other commuters, that's fine. Its their choice. But you can't just say "oh this world should be a happy and fair place, where we don't have to worry about things getting nicked". Because it isn't.

foxyrider
    Free Member

if they want to risk lots of money just so they can show off to the other commuters

Pehaps some people do it because its just a lovely bike to ride and makes commuting more pleasurable 🙂 Not just for the superficial bling factor 🙂 Just a thought 😉

njee20
    Free Member

if they want to risk lots of money just so they can show off to the other commuters, that's fine

I ride from a village in the middle of nowhere about 16 miles to a relatively rural part of a town, my bike is insured, if it got nicked then sh1t happens, very annoying, but it's a risk I'm prepared to run to enjoy my ride more. Strangely I don't really care what other commuters think of it!

I don't normally ride my Madone at least, although it was over 5 minutes quicker this morning than the usual Allez. I doth my cap to you for enjoying your £100 road bike, I wouldn't.

PJ266
    Free Member

I tried the crap bike route but soon realised just how crap it was. Ive been spoilt by nice bikes and hate riding anything that isnt tiptop. Thats just how I am.

njee20
    Free Member

I tried the crap bike route but soon realised just how crap it was. Ive been spoilt by nice bikes and hate riding anything that isnt tiptop. Thats just how I am.

+1

I have to enjoy my ride in, or I won't do it! My Allez was a real change for me, but it is functional and I've grown to like it, although the geometry is still pretty awful, and it weighs more than my Fuel!

RealMan
    Free Member

So what, anything below £1k isn't good enough for you or something?

wwaswas

Real Men don't ride anyhting worth less than £1k 😉

I'd rather risk a niceish bike than commute on a crap one over anything more than a mile or two.

PJ266
    Free Member

Easy tiger, it doesnt have to be expensive 😉 just good.

People are so fixated on money these days…

mamadirt
    Free Member

foxyrider – Member

if they want to risk lots of money just so they can show off to the other commuters

Pehaps some people do it because its just a lovely bike to ride and makes commuting more pleasurable Not just for the superficial bling factor Just a thought

Exactly foxyrider. I love riding to work on the SS, even moreso coming home the scenic route and I don't give a monkeys what 'other commuters' think. I want to ride it every day, everywhere, and I'm feeling pretty damned evil that some flinkin' scumbag is going to take that pleasure away from me 👿 . Despite a lovely new cruiser, next week is not gonna be so much fun 😡

Last week I bought an expensive heavy-ass lock for town duties from CRC but returned it for a refund as it weighed almost as much as my bike. I'd love to see what the scumbags would've made of it . . . I'd probably be stumping up for a replacement school fence. Hence the commute/shopping bike questions on the forum.

RealMan
    Free Member

I'd rather risk a niceish bike than commute on a crap one over anything more than a mile or two.

And your definition of crap is anything below a certain price tag? Have you ever had a bike nicked?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Folks, chill out (OK, me excepted 👿 ). This was just meant to be a thread about someone's pride and joy potentially being taken from them (regardless of monetary value).

Pigface
    Free Member

mamadirt are you in Newport?

wwaswas

And your definition of crap is anything below a certain price tag?

no, not really hence the smiley thing.

but, my experience is that it's difficult to put somethign I'd enjoy ridign together for much less than £500 (either for an MTB or road bike) so I'd probably set that as an arbitary limit for 'crapness'.

Other people may set the limit lower and that's obviously their choice.

[Edit] – sorry mama – can you lock it in the school grounds somewhere?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yes I am Pigface . . . says it all doesn't it 😉

can you lock it in the school grounds somewhere?

Reckon I'm sorted for next week – a squeaky clean BMX is a lot easier to store inside than a muddy d/h bike.

Pigface
    Free Member

Sadly it does, glad they didnt get away with your ride. Bikes get robbed from the Patent Office with full security, a gate house and shed loads of CCTV.

Have you seen the Newport Facebook site 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Well if buying new price is generally directly proportional to 'niceness', so I guess there is a threshold somewhere!

My Allez was £800, I personally wouldn't have got the base model as there were some bits that I didn't want, so I guess £800 is my 'threshold' 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Bikes get robbed from the Patent Office with full security, a gate house and shed loads of CCTV.

No hope for me where I work then 🙁

Have you seen the Newport Facebook site

Gotta link?

Moses

I not knocking Newport, BUT
    when I worked there, we referred to the main river bridge as Ugly Bridge because of the average standard of beauty crossing it was so low.

😯

mamadirt
    Free Member

I don't go that way Moses 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘I'd like to lock them to the railings and remove their fingers one by one . . .’ is closed to new replies.