• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • i'd like a 1/4 drive torque wrench tell me about yours !
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

what value/quality 1/4 bike torque wrenchs are out there guys…

Any recommendations ??

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t have a value one at 1/4″ but I do have a MHH Torqueleader, very nice to use indeed

Jamie
    Free Member

I just have a small one for little jobs…

geoffj

Norbar innit

LeeW

That’s a tiddler Jamie!

If you’re going to buy one, get a known brand. In my experience even Stanley ones aren’t that great.

Torqueleader/MHH Engineering, Norbar, Bahco etc are good quality, reliable and most of all accurate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Teng here 5-25

Would buy wera 0-25 next time but twice the cost

jkomo

My mate got a norbar one made for him here in Banbury.
    The calibration certificate was done the day he picked it up.
    My screwfix one doesn’t see the light of day now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Screwfix dont make torque wrenches,

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got an X-Tools one, same as the Shimano one. I check bolts by feel after I’ve used it and it seems pretty accurate.

PePPeR

Another vote for Norbar, a great company.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got a snap on, that is 10% out, and couldn’t be calibrated, but as long as I know it’s 10% out, then I can compensate!.

LeeW

You’d be surprised how many aeroplane parts are built doing the same thing Nobeer.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Bought a nice torque driver from Machine Mart about 7 years back – unfortunately they don’t seem to do it any more – and can’t find an equivalent anywhere.

The reason I recommend it is that it goes from 1Nm to 10Nm, which is all you need for a bike. It’s easy to find other 1/4″ torque wrenches, but many don’t go lower that 5Nm which is a tad to high for some bikes.

cardo

Ended up plumping for a Park after my X tools ratchet broke… It’s been faultless too , which i was hopeing at the price 😯

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

After some advice from here I got a Norbar one off ebay for £55. I think it’s 4-20nm (on a boat right now so cannot check). Never had a problem with it on either the bike or the car.

I think mine’s a Teng, I’ll have to wait till I’m back at work to check.
    Whatever it is, it’s whatever was on offer at the time. We get them calibrated every six months through work and it always passes.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful £31.80
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Automotive+Wrenches/sd3332/Torque+Wrench/p34759

and a preset 5nm torque key one that lives in my tool box

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 for norbar

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mines called Steve and he’s very good at hiding.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

LeeW – Member
    You’d be surprised how many aeroplane parts are built doing the same thing Nobeer.

POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

No I wouldn’t, I worked on aircraft engines for 16 years!

LeeW

🙂

I look after 10+ stds laboratories, most of which have UKAS accreditation in torque. In reality, if you get a cheap one, make sure you wind the torque off after using it (good practice for any TT really) For the amount you’re going to use it and for what you’re actually going to use it for, a cheaper/more reasonably priced one won’t make any difference.

Even if it’s 10% out at 5Nm, it’s only more or less the equivalent of hanging a 10g weight off the end of a normal 8″ spanner (If I’ve done my sums right)

reedspeed
    Free Member

Thx guys,seen as the weathers shite today,i’ll be internet trawling so should find something,thx again..

Hallsy
    Free Member

Have used Norbar ones at work – seem good quality.

Halfords Professional are said to be decent as well, but I’ve not used one personally.

Make sure you leave it wound out when not being used.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Norbar SLO here.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘i'd like a 1/4 drive torque wrench tell me about yours !’ is closed to new replies.