Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Iceland weekend
  • drewfus
    Free Member

I’m going to Iceland for my 40th in March staying in Reykjavik.
    Anyone been? would like advice for hotels packages etc..
    Going to Blue lagoon and hopefully see some Aurora Borealis
    Any ideas?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Blue circle trail (I think it’s called) going to see the waterfalls, a glacier and geysers.
    Whale watching trip.
    The hill above Reykjavik with the man made Geyser
    The big church in the middle for the view from the top (missed this last time)

Take extra money for food that you plan or eat and the bus station cafe near the city airport.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Icelandic Krona are hard to get outside Iceland, and tend to be more expensive as a result. I went there in 2012 and found this, so on going back in 2014 I just put my card in an ATM when I arrived. Compared to my friends who bought Krona in the UK, it was cheaper, and easier. The fee for the cash withdrawal was less than the extra they paid on the exchange rate.

For most purchases you can just use a card, even small amounts.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Golden Circle tour….. not Blue, sorry

trevh
    Free Member

Liefur erikson small hotel 3 star literally right opposite the big church hallgrimskirk just don’t eat the rotting shark for breakfast the tour is fantastic with the geysers and the waterfalls and you walk between the tectonic plates and see an extinct volcano or 2 .The ice bar in Reykjavik is worth a visit. Blue lagoon fantastic. One of the best short breaks we have ever done. And I wouldn’t say the food is any more expensive than a night out in London . Brilliant place would love to go back you will love it.

chewkw
    Free Member

It will be cold … very cold. 😀

trevh
    Free Member

Ps the rooms smell of rotten eggs because of the sulphur get bottled water to brush your teeth otherwise you will tegret it. You get used to the smell

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Hotels you say.
    We stopped at the inner city airport hotel and found it good value and comfy but out of town a little but worth it for the walk

drewfus
    Free Member

Cheers guys, thanks for the Krona tip didn’t really think about that..
    Anyone done a package weekend thing or is it better to get flights and hotels
    Then sort accommodation somewhere else?
    I have already got weekend sorted as such but before I pay is there owt else?
    Also can you book tours when/ where once arrived

Ambrose

If you can, get out to Skogarfoss, one of the most iconic waterfalls in the world. You’ll know it when you get there- remember the Scottish Widows advert? On the way to Skogarfoss you’ll pass Seljalandesfoss, what a place.

The Golden Circle Tour is really interesting but obviously touristy- if you can find a way to do it independently, either via public transport or via a hire car (GO ON, it’s your birthday!)you will get to see Geysir, Gullfoss and all the other amazing places in peace and quiet and at your own pace. And get to miss out the tedium that is Hveragerdi and replace it instead with an hours walk up to bathe in the hot river pools.

The sea food is sublime, the beer expensive. The locals are affable, the scenery is stunning. It’s great to stay in town but staying slightly out gives a better experience. We’ve stayed in a few places but the best has always been Hotel Floki on Snorabroaut/ Flokagata. Sitting in the garden, drinking a beer with some Greenlanders jammin’ on an accordion and some drums takes a bit of beating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Iceland weekend’ is closed to new replies.