Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ice spiker tyres whats the general Psi for ice /snow on a fully loaded hardtail?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Planning a bike packing night out and its going to be hard packed snow/ice trails on the route I,m going to use just wondering about a bit of comfort but not wanting a pinch flat as the are an arse on my rims to change!
    Anyone out there with real life experiences of the tyre?

Rich

adi66
    Free Member

Make sure you have run them in first… To bed the spikes into the treads.

I run my ice spiker tyres pretty hard TBH on my rigid hard till winter bike. 20+ psi

The grip on sheet ice is literally amazing …. Once you pluck up the bottle o experiment a bit.

postierich
    Free Member

ran them in last year and have used them! 20psi really was thinking 35 rear 30 front!

Northwind

Depends on you and the terrain- basically you do want them to be as low as you can for best results imo, it’s not like normal tyres where you’d be looking for a single reliable pressure, it’s worth setting snow/ice tyres for the ride you’re doing. Also do bear in mind you’ll tend to hit things much less hard- slower speeds, and snow cover.

postierich
    Free Member

will drop them down a bit then! will just take it easy on the trails.

Noticed another thread about people loosing lots of the spikes wonder what pressure they were running and if it has any impact on loss!

Northwind

My pros are always losing spikes. You can buy replacements though (thanks bigdugsbaws). Never really sure if the replacements stay in or if it’s new ones that are falling out!

Woodentop
    Free Member

I had the issue with loosing loads of spikes after one ride, I ran them in for about 40km on the road at about 15 psi, then ran them offroad at at 30psi. Awesome tyre, just lost abit of confidence with the longevity of them.

MoreCashThanDash

Never lost a spike out of mine – checked when I fitted them tonight.

I tend to run my tyres fairly hard, set them at 40psi for the commute, but I’m over 13 stone (again!), and the commute is on surfaced paths all the way in.

12 miles takes forever on spikes though, so glad I went for the Pros!

scotroutes

I used to run mine at 35-40psi. Never lost any spikes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ice spiker tyres whats the general Psi for ice /snow on a fully loaded hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.