Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ice skates and socks
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some decent socks for ice skating in? Me and my boys are starting ice skating in bauer hockey skates but want some socks to wear that are probably a bit t thicker than normal ones.

Any advice?

Russell96

Wouldn’t worry just normal sports socks, you’ll not suffer from blisters with the correct fit and your feet wont get cold unless you have the laces too tight.

knightrider3
    Free Member

I play Ice Hockey and free skate all the time and I find the best thing to wear in hockey skates is just thicker sports socks. 🙂

What rink do you go to btw?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I just used to use footy socks which were also good as a cushion between my legs & leg pads.

Still got my old Bauer 90’s but we don’t have a rink for miles else I go for a skate.

SaxonRider

I’ve got a lovely pair of Graf goalie skates (because I am one), and found that my normal day-to-day socks are fine. Much depends on how you tighten your laces as to how comfortable you are in terms of fit and temperature.

My cousin in Canada used to wear his skates with bare feet, even if he was playing outside in the middle of winter, as he swore it kept the blood circulating and his feet warmer.

What I can attest to is how bad his skates smelled. 😐

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

we go to guildford spectrum – if your ever there ill be the one falling over all the time.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My cousin in Canada used to wear his skates with bare feet,

A couple of Canadian guys that played for Durham Wasps (when they were on the go) used to do that.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

I used to wear a pair of thin running socks, if the skates fit you properly you don’t have too much spare room for socks!
    Talking of smells, try a Canadian Hockey rink changing room! The stench of kit bags and pads took some getting used to.

Russell96

I used to work at a rink and play ice hockey too, agree with the kit room comments.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I found my gloves were the worst culprits.

SaxonRider

I found my gloves were the worst culprits.

Oh lord, yes. The brown leather of my old blocker, held tightly against the stick, stained my right hand a yellow-y/orange-y colour, and the glove itself absolutely stank to high heaven.

Russell96

Gloves, hmm the tiniest scraps for the palm holding the fingers/thumb onto your hands, so you had vastly better feel control of your stick and you could quickly pop your hand out for some roughing without dropping your gloves. 2nd/3rd line centre man.

antigee

youngest antigee plays ice hockey and she wears whatever socks she has on

“What I can attest to is how bad his skates smelled”

as said above though will have zero impact on the stench that is a hockey changing room

kerbdog
    Free Member

I wear the thinest socks i can get, Bauer ng core performance socks are quite thin but expensive for what they are.. Marks and spencers black socks which can be bought in packs of five pairs are just as good.
    Thick socks will allow your foot to roll/move about a bit in your skate which is something you dont really want.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ice skates and socks’ is closed to new replies.