Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ice crash – Disproportionate damage :o(
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Was driving home in my little mk6 fiesta on saturday in fairly icy conditions.

Went to turn (90°) onto my road and knowing it's usually the last place to thaw I slowed right down to 5-10mph. Long story short, I turned, car didn't and I hit the kerb (stopping the car) with the offside front wheel.

Car hit the kerb at about 45° and I was still hoping it would grip up to the point of impact, so I had full lock on. Looks like the wheel hit the kerb pretty much fully side on.

Took it to the local Kwik Fit – extremely helpful, incidentally – who diagnosed one very bent alloy wheel. I sourced a replacement and they swapped the tyre over for free.

On leaving the carpark it was still making some disconcerting noises moving with the wheel anything but straight ahead. The steering wheel doesn't point where the wheels do (about 10° off anticlockwise) and when driving in a notional straight line everything is a bit 'floaty'. They had it up on the ramp again and said that I've possibly bent the subframe and/or the wishbones and/or the driveshaft.

Clearly, it's not going out on the road again, but before I get a full assessment from Ford, what should I be preparing myself for?

It's an 05 plate fiesta zetec, 1.4l with about 55k on the clock…
    Probably not worth much more than £3k?

I wouldn't mind if it had been a 'proper' crash, but I was barely moving.
    😥

On the other hand I am fine and – bar a bruised elbow – noone was injured.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Bent track control arm, bent front wishbone, blown shock (would account for the floaty feel). At that speed you could probably have done all the above but I dont think you will have bent the chassis.
    Unfortunatly hindsight is a wonderful thing but any front wheel skid straighten the steering wheel release the brakes to regain control and cadence brake whilst attempting to re steer the car (if you dont have abs) at least if your wheels are straight on as you hit the kerb and not locked out by the brakes you should minimise the damage. Trust me it works, done it in mine and the companies cars when its gone wrong in really bad conditions when those that have to drive have to drive ie emergency services.

dmiller
    Free Member

Kwick fit will be wrong. Honestly. Take it to a different garage to get it checked…

Suggsey
    Free Member

Front wishbone (subframe is about £30 I believe as a whole unit with the bushings already in it). Check your engine and gear box mounts as they too can rip with that sort of impact and will cause the car to 'run' out of line. Oh and dont forget that it will have knocked the tracking seriously out even if it has not bent the track rod end or control arm.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Thanks all. Not sure if it's good news or not though – I was preparing myself to hear the words 'write off'.

So a couple of hundred to set it right or is that hopelessly optimistic?

Suggsey
    Free Member

No mate that should be more than enough if you go to a cheaper non dealer garage.

singletrackmind

And you will have screwed the wheel bearing in the process , unfortunatly.
    It might not show up straight away, but an impact like that will have cause damage to the bearings or carrier.
    Also , again maybe not immediatly apparent , but the cv joint will have taken a battering as the wheel clonked the kerb. Like a large leverage load on the knuckle, might last 100 miles, might last 10,000.
    Neither hideously expensive , Allow £100 – £200 .
    I bet you are kicking yourself as you knew the corner had a history of being icy. The car is a lump of formed metal, and you are not injured , just out of pocket and inconvienced. It can be fixed up , and chances are you will never notice the repairs, you will just have to put off the groupset upgrade and week holiday to pay for it.
    soz

DT78
    Free Member

I had a similar curb to wheel impact about 6 years ago. It took 3 months and a ridiculous amount of chasing for me to get my car back from inchcape peugeot (will never ever use them again)

In the end it needed a new alloy, steering rack, power steering, gearbox and brake disk plus new bumper, and some other bits and bobs.

I was going under 20mph. It was however a big curb.

Smee
    Free Member

Just get the wheel alignment done and it'll be fine.

kevonakona
    Free Member

ex of mine claims this sort of prang blow the seat and curtain airbags in her zetec focus as well as writing off the wheel. Mind you she was/is a compulsive liar.

hora
    Free Member

OP- they didnt notice the damage to your suspension. Take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

DO NOT TAKE IT TO FORD – They'll have you' and any good indie should be just as good as a Ford main stealer and can source the parts etc.

onandon
    Free Member

I did this a few years ago and bent the steering rack.
    it and cost a grand total of £30 for the part and some beer tokens for my mate who helped change it over.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i had a clio wishbone/strut replaced for 55 quid…i wouldnt worry to much mate…im pretty sure the car will have minor damage…i think by law cars have to withstand 3 or 5mph crashes without causing damage (other than dents).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ice crash – Disproportionate damage :o(’ is closed to new replies.