Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Ibis Mojo SL or Yeti ASR 5 – what do you think?
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

I now its apples and pears but what would you get if you wanted a fun, light, and nimble bike that can handle a good days cross country followed by a challenging session at the trail park.

Currently riding an anthem x but keen on something slacker and a bit more fun

What would you get – or would you get something else?

Oli

sweaman2
    Free Member

There are several threads on this. I looked at both and for me a key difference is fit. Yeti’s have a long top-tube for the frame (24.6″ on a large) while Mojo-SL are very short (23.6″ on a large).

olibluegoat
    Free Member

what did you go for?

slowmart
    Free Member

Aesthetically the Ibis will age better. He carbon weave on my mates is much more robust than my Yeti.

It doesn’t matter to me the above and I wouldn’t swap my Yeti for the Ibis.

Fwiw the only opinion tats matters is yours after test riding both.

thered

Neither, get a Blur LTc

sweaman2
    Free Member

I went for the IBIS SL – I was biased by fit though. I’m 6ft but with a 34″ inside leg and a correspondingly short torso so the top tube for me on the Yeti was just too long. I was coming from an ETS-X which is also short.

I like the Mojo SL; it’s a huge improvement on my ETS-X (which isn’t surprising as the ETS-X was 7 years old). Lots of people like the Yeti as well though; for me it just wasn’t comfortable.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I am in the same boat. 6ft with 34 inside leg and shorter body. What size did you go for

skywalker
    Free Member

Neither, get a Blur LTc

That would be my choice, or maybe even the Blur TRc.

skywalker
    Free Member

Double post

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Santacruz is a bit rich for me but nice

skywalker
    Free Member

They also have pretty short top tubes so not for everyone I guess.

mrmojo
    Free Member

I owned the original Ibis mojo carbon and thought it was good bike but sold it on and purchased a Yeti 575.

So having rode both I’d have to say my Yeti feels more of an all round bike better on climbs and takes more a thrashing on the downs but that’s just my personal opinion I’m sure other folk on here would disagree.

Ibis size up small espically the top tube if your over 5,8 you’ll need a large where as Yeti’s size up large in comparison.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i desperately want an ibis mojo… i have however just bought a yeti asr5 (alloy)

i’m 6ft with a 34″ inner leg and the yeti fits like a glove. i have two stems – a 60mm and a 80mm depending on terrain and neither stretch me out too far at all (having said that, i am used to a cross country position)

may sell the yeti in a month or so if i can find a nice mojo… i like changing bikes and there is a whole host of bikes i ‘must have’ before i die (haven’t even got started on the intense tracer 2 or santa cruz yet)

sweaman2
    Free Member

Interesting hearing peoples sizing.. as above 6ft with 34″ inside leg. Went for a large Ibis Mojo SL running a 90mm stem; the large Yeti just felt too long for me but the one I tried had a 90mm stem as well.

rickon
    Free Member

Get a Turner Flux instead.

105mm travel that feels like 140mm, with a 120mm fork and sensible kit it’s an amazing trail bike; stick some light kit on and it’s a fast XC race bike 🙂

Om nom nom nom….

bigjim

6’4″ and a little bit, 34″ leg, on a L asr5a with a 100mm stem, feels great, might try a shorter stem, though I do have a long upper body so probably not a 50mm. I still have 10 cm to go to the limit mark of a 40cm post. I don’t like really big frames though, some people do like a larger frame.

ASR5 is an amazing bike, just get a test ride of each and it will be clearer which you want.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Carbon Nomad in the silly lime green

stewartc
    Free Member

Went from Yeti ASR-5 (alloy) to Blur TRc, add that to the mix.

kevolution
    Free Member

I’d get a mojo HD for the riding you describe.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Mate has an ASR5c and had a bunch of test rides. Some on the alloy ASR5 but the Yeti guy he was talking to warned him that the 3 sizes of carbon bike are not exactly the same as the middle 3 alloy bike sizes so bare that in mind. Can’t remember the exact differences, wasn’t me shopping, but it was enough to influence his choice of size.

huw
    Free Member

Try the Anthem with a 120mm fork? Slackens it off really nicely but doesn’t take away its raceyness. And it’ll save you a fair few quid buying and selling bikes.

That’s the setup I had on my Anthem and I rode and raced everything on it, proper technical local trails, 7-day stage race in Canada, 24 hour solos….

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I guess i fancy a bit of a change – so many of my mates have anthems and much as i love mine it just doesnt feel special. I have poentially a great deal on an a new Ibis Special Blend.

Was told that you really have to ride the ASR 5 hard to get the best from it – what are peoples thoughts on this.

Would love a Blur TRC but think i would have to sell a kidney to get one.

Campfreedie – how did you find the ride on the ASR 5

campfreddie
    Free Member

Get a Turner Flux instead.

105mm travel that feels like 140mm, with a 120mm fork and sensible kit it’s an amazing trail bike; stick some light kit on and it’s a fast XC race bike

Om nom nom nom….

that is sooooooooooooooooooooooo last year! lol… this is what i sold to make way for the Yeti!

oh and by the way… that seatpost and stem set-up worked for me at 6ft and 34″ inner leg… the frame size was a large… if i was buying again, i would look to go XL as Turners come up very small (although it does make it easier to throw around at trail centres)

campfreddie
    Free Member

oh and this is the latest toy (apologies for the poor set-up in the photo… the reverb seatpost is actually set 2″ higher to suit my 34″ inner leg… frame size is large)

olibluegoat
    Free Member

what size is the yeti and how does it ride?

Looking at trying out a yeti and ibis the weekend after this one. Was set on the yeti originally but i spoke to the guys at Rutland Cycling an they insited i try out the ibis – said it was just a great alround bike – but would be interested on how you got on with the yeti

How does it compare with the Turner as the Ibis also has the DW linkage

thered

Campfreddie- That looks surprisingly nice, bit too minty fresh for me i’d say but I kinda like it

rickon
    Free Member

I think the question is, whether you want the DW linkage – which will feel quite (not the same at all though) to the Anthem, in that it deals with pedal bod through the VPP and arc of motion of the rear triangle.

Or… whether you want single pivot, which relies on the use of propedal to manage pedal feedback and squat.

I’m not a fan of single pivot, as I really hate pedal feedback and pedal strike and really can’t be bothered to keep switching between shock settings – but there are merits to single pivot in terms of bearing replacement, plushness and simplicity of maintenance (i.e. there’s less places for dirt and grit to hide in single pivot over a complex linkage).

I do like the look of that Yeti though Alex 🙂 And the shock is high enough that propedal is easy to reach.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Rickon. What bike are you riding

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve ridden, race bike wise

giant anthem
    Scott spark
    trek ex 8
    whyte e120
    Turner flux

the fastest feeling has to be the spark, but it has a very low bottom bracket, great for cornering but rubbish for anything technical ascending wise, especially as its single pivot.

The Anthem is very involving, and gives you a false sense of speed. its quick, but not as quick as it feels.

I’ve not spent enough time on the flux to give good comment, but it has the most traction of any bike I’ve ridden ascending, and descends like a 140mm bike. it feels as if the whole bike compresses, not just the back end.

I’ve yet to ride a Yeti, knowing me ill have one at some point though.

I did look at an asr5, but I really don’t want another carbon bike, even if its just the backend. its comfy, yes, but is prefer not to worry about falling off and cracking the frame or swingarm.

campfreddie
    Free Member

oh by the way… if you buy a flux or a 5-spot, it would be a good idea to buy boots rather than shoes… i’ve tw*tted my ankle bone so many times on the chainstay of the flux… and it hurts!!!!

Toasty

Found my XL Mojo far too short, riding a 22″ Five now, much happier.

Really wanted to like the Mojo, the big ones are just so crazy short compared to everything else on the market, to get it in perspective, XL (21″) Mojo wheelbase = M (17″) Stumpjumper FSR wheelbase.

bigjim

I think the question is, whether you want the DW linkage – which will feel quite (not the same at all though) to the Anthem, in that it deals with pedal bod through the VPP and arc of motion of the rear triangle.

Or… whether you want single pivot, which relies on the use of propedal to manage pedal feedback and squat.

I went from a Trance to the ASR5 and find the rear end fine, the propedal seems to take care of everything perfectly. It does feel different but I don’t know how to explain it really, the maestro system you kind of don’t notice until you top out, and the yeti feels more lush, but not bobby. I’m not used to having propedal as an option yet so tend to leave it on all the time.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m not used to having propedal as an option yet so tend to leave it on all the tim

That’s kind of my issue with single pivot, it requires propedal – which is great for fireroad, but technical ascents you really need to have the shock open to gain traction – with a low BB and a single pivot that pretty much equals squat and pedal strike. I’m not sure how that works with the Yeti’s geometry though.

Again, this all depends on where you ride and how much of an issue that would be to you – for me it’s a deal breaker now, having dealt with a huge amount of pedal strike for most of last year – which resulted in need to increase the level of propedal, or compression damping – which ruins the plushness.

After trying out quite a lot of suspension systems, the best I’ve used is the Maestro and DW-Link – but again, where you ride, and how often you ride on technical ascents will dictate whether or not you’re that bothered about complex, higher-maintenance systems. (Although Turner use journal bearings… i.e. bushings, which only require a squirt of grease)

Toasty

I guess it depends how you climb too, I’ve never felt like a “need” pro-pedal, and I’ve always felt like I’ve got much more traction with it open than DW link ever gave. Depends on the bike I guess, my FSR bikes on the other hand I always did find crazy bouncy uphill.

Smaller volume shock and/or higher compression tune with single pivot?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Trying the ASR5 and Mojo out next weekend. My heart seems to be moving towards the Mjo though especilaly as i have a mega deal on one. I really like the ASR5 but a few people have told me the Mojo is just a really fun bike – it looks bloody amazing as well

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo SL or Yeti ASR 5 – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.