Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ibis Mojo chain issues – anyone experienced this?
  • cinnamon_girl

Would really appreciate input from Mojo owners please. 🙂

I have the basic model (I believe around 3 years old) and on fast rough descents, the chain bounces around noisily when in the middle ring. Sometimes when changing from middle to granny, I get chainsuck.

This has been happening regularly since I got the frame around 6 months ago. Sram chain was put on new, chainrings are not completely worn and basically running XT.

I don’t want to have the front mech adjusted again as it doesn’t seem to be curing the problem.

From a quick Google, others have had this so would be particularly interested in hearing from people who have fitted some kind of gizmo thingy.

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

dhrider
    Free Member

Chain suck is generally caused from worn drivetrain. Did you change the cassette at the same time as changing the chain?

If not that’s a likely reason as the cassette teeth will be worn and the chain won’t.

RealMan
    Free Member

on fast rough descents, the chain bounces around noisily when in the middle ring

Why do you have it in the middle ring? Put it in big.

Sometimes when changing from middle to granny, I get chainsuck.

I’m pretty sure you can chainsuck any bike if you shift badly enough. Are you shifting under power?

dreednya

I have a SL and did have the same problems, but I checked chain length and had to remove a couple of links. Usual method of releasing all air in shock and compressing fully and then chain round big/big (not through rear mech) and add two links.

I also use velcro on the chain stays instead of a normal chain stay protector and I think that deadens any noise a fair bit. Looks good as well :).

I have also gone 2×10 via 2×9, which may have made a difference as well.

mikey74
    Free Member

I thought the idea that you have to compress the suspension to set the chain length was a load of rubbish. Never had any problems on any of my full-sussers and I’ve never done that.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies. I’ve found some info on the Ibis website although this made me chuckle, one gem is when in mud don’t put it in the granny. 🙄

It’s a Summer bike so hasn’t been used in the wet. I will double-check the state of the cassette and chainrings but certainly when it was built, all was OK.

Never used the big ring and don’t shift under power. Had wondered about dispensing with a chainring but feel I need all the help I can get!

shredder
    Free Member

When I had my Mojo I deadened sound both with a normal chainstay protector. Also sought out a local rubber sheet manufacturer bought some adhesive backed thin ish rubber wiich I stuck to the inside of the seat stay etc. Looked neat and worked perfectly.

Also this was at one point advertised and talked about on the Ibis web site and mtbr forum.

http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-edge-chain-catchers/mountain/k-edge-acs.html

Hope that helps

PaulD
    Free Member

CG,

The K-Edge is the device I mentioned to you.
    Jon has one and we await his comments/winning recipe.

The new Stickler extension trail in Swinley is truly excellent…I hammered it both ways and look forward to next time (possibly Monday).

PaulD.

br
    Free Member

Change the rings, chain and cassette and then invest in a Park chain measuring tool – change chain regularly.

Also is the BB spaced correctly?

DeeJay
    Free Member

Try this for the chainsuck issue

Nicola at the Dales Bike Centre had some problems with her bike and came up with this – worth a try – I have.
    click for bigger pic

grumpyrs

Hi CG, not sure if you’ve come across this, published by Hans from Ibis.

MTBR Ibis Forum Chainsuck

Hope it’s of use.

cinnamon_girl

Oooh, more replies, thank you all. 🙂

I’ve been trawling through the MTBR Ibis Forum and, interestingly enough, at one time Ibis did make their own gizmo but no longer do.

Had seen the chainsuck article and as I mentioned above, this business of not using the granny particularly with easy-ish cogs – well, I just can’t manage without in dry conditions! I find it hard-going on climbs, probably due to the big fork.

Paul – thanks, will look forward to your friend’s findings. Glad you enjoyed Stickler Extension!

DeeJay – what is actually used there please?

shredder
    Free Member

Cable tie around the metal bash plate

DeeJay
    Free Member

@ CG – Wot shredder said – 2 ties with the wide bits positioned on the edge of the chainstay

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo chain issues – anyone experienced this?’ is closed to new replies.