Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • I would like to move to Cornwall…
  • billybob
    Free Member

I hear Porthemmet has some good holiday homes…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I love Fowey personally

mogrim

No – just doing something rash and without thinking it though because his wife suddenly decided it would be a good idea!

Nothing rash about doing something when her indoors has already decided it's a "good idea", tbh.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nothing rash about doing something when her indoors has already decided it's a "good idea", tbh.

3 months ago they were going to the Isle of Wight as it was a good idea.

A couple of years ago they were going to New Zealand to live because it was a good idea.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Surfmat, that would be great if you could pass on details to me, I've been a mechanic for 15 years so I'm not too bad at it :-)Did have a word with Roj at the Bike Barn, he seemed positive on me having some work but I haven't heard from him since.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does it not rain in Harrogate then?! It's lovely down here out of season and Truro has plenty going on for cold, wet days.

I've been to Cornwall all different times of the year, and apart from about 3 weeks in summer, it's either freezing or raining or both. The Atlantic coast in particular can be very bleak indeed.

When it is sunny it can be nice, but I'm particularly prejudiced against the Bude area, as I have relatives there who'd insist I went out for a 'good walk' get that city smog out of your lungs. What, and get Pneumonia instead? No, I'm not a fan of that bit, I must say. When I did foolishly once take a bike there, I found there was **** all places to actually ride, because it's all footpaths. And if you do ride on the footpaths, people will moan at you. And if you're Brown, they will call the police (true, did actually happen- a nosy neighbour saw me and thought I'd come to burgle someone).

South coast is lovely in summer. Really nice. Truro is a lovely little town, but I reckon you'd need a few quid to settle there. Things to do? Hmm. It's got a cathedral and a museum, and a nice park I spose. And lots of little art galleries full of really twee and often quite shit paintings of landscapes and stuff. A few restaurants. Erm… No sorry I'm struggling here.

Yeah Cornwall's got it's good points, but a fair few bad ones too. Surf Mat seems to have a very rose-tinted view of the place. But then, he's from Surrey…. 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

I bet the locals love him then!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nmd – can't find your email address and would rather not post his details on here.

Mail me on polzeyboy@hotmail.com and I'll whizz you his details.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Moved from Surrey when I was 14 – 21 years ago….

Bude is quite bleak and remote IMO – no useful roads nearby and not a lot going on.

No rose tinted view here – lived in Bristol, Surrey, Wales and London so got plenty of experiences of other places.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Depends what you want from it I think, if you're a townie( not saying you are personally) then there aren't many shopping centres etc so it may not be for you.

I'd prefer to bring my children up somewhere like Cornwall where it's chilled and poeople have something in common, even if it's only a love of surf, than a city where everyone wants to fight you 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'd prefer to bring my children up somewhere like Cornwall where it's chilled and poeople have something in common, even if it's only a love of surf, than a city where everyone wants to fight you

Yeah, I think a parent would see that as something important, certainly my Uncle and Aunt did. But then their kids grew up bored and restless and couldn't wait to move out. One now even lives in Surrey! 😀

I think some parts of Cornwall can be quite cut off from the outside world. Bude certainly is (no trains, not many busses). I think a balance between tranquility and excitement is very difficult to strike successfully; both my cousins say they would rather have grown up somewhere a bit livelier. Two kids living in a village with mainly retired folk and hardly any other families would yearn for the things other kids have.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What like Playstations and big TVs?

Growing up in the countryside/near a beach is the best thing for kids. Good schools around here too – private and state.

Depends what you want – if someone's idea of fun is hanging around a shopping mall then it's pretty poor. If it's playing on beaches, boats and in the countryside then it's ideal.

Most leave the county for a bit after Uni but most come back as soon as they can.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Growing up in the countryside/near a beach is the best thing for kids. Good schools around here too – private and state.

Is it? Neither of them are remotely fussed about outdoor activities, drive cars everywhere and seemed quite surprised that their townie cousin was into mountain biking.

And they both went to fee-paying schools some distance away, as the standards of the local schools were so poor.

Most leave the county for a bit after Uni but most come back as soon as they can.

Neither are planning to go back any time soon. They're both in jobs which don't exist/aren't available in Cornwall. Neither are particular fans of the place. One is really into music, and loves big cities for all the different events that are on, and the other works for a pharmaceutical company, in a job and for a salary that simply aren't available in Cornwall.

Oh, and further to tiger-roach's comment below, both met their current partners elsewhere….

tiger_roach
    Free Member

poeople have something in common

Relatives?

nmdbase
    Free Member

OK, I did't mean this to turn into a debate 🙄

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Is it? Neither of them are remotely fussed about outdoor activities, drive cars everywhere and seemed quite surprised that their townie cousin was into mountain biking.

Seems to suit a depressing number of families. A sure ticket to obesity and poor health. My idea of hell.

Yes jobs are scarce down here – you need to run your own show or get a senior public sector post (preferably as a doctor) to make decent money but then that's true for most "pretty" counties.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Jobs situation there isn't as bad as where I am now……..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Matt – is there a McDonald's near the college/Homebase in Truro?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MF – there is. Is that where he's working? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No – it is where his wife works at the local one at the moment and we have been joking that there must be one near to their new gaff – she will have insisted so…

He works for NCR repairing hole-in-the-walls and till machines etc.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I agree with surf-mat completely that growing up in the country is the best childhood you can get. I have just moved back to Devon at the age of 30 after a stint in Manchester expereiencing life where their are shops and buses more than once per day. It was great for a year, then I just sat inside watching telly and getting fatter for a few years, it then took another 3 years to sort out houses and job's to enable the move.

Kids only really know about what they have expereinced if they have grown up in the country then in the main they love it, their is a great party seen in the country its much cheaper than pubs and clubs and I think much safer for the 14 – 18 year age.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don't think anyone can say one option is 'betterer' than the other. They are simply different and give a child different life experiences.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

But some have experience both sides so can make an informed opinion of which they feel is better.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But some have experience both sides so can make an informed opinion of which they feel is better.

Better for them. Not better for everyone.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I meant to add that… 😉

We all make the most of our situations/possessions/whatever unless we genuinely hate them.

I suspect some people genuinely like living in Croydon or Doncaster…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am sure they do – never seen Croydon but Doncaster isn't all that bad really. Fairly typical of many Yorkshire working towns and nicer than some (Cleckhuddersfax for example).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Both Doncaster and Derby repelled me big time. As did some towns in Essex.
    Croydon is just horrible.

Kevevs
    Free Member

just move then! why do you need the affirmation of this lot?. just do it! You won't die. Make up your own mind. you have your reasons, right?

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘I would like to move to Cornwall…’ is closed to new replies.