Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • I would like to move to Cornwall…
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

…is it a stupid idea?

jon1973
    Free Member

Isn't it full of Londoners?

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh god, is it? what's the work situation like down there? I'm pretty damn talented at, well everything.

emma82
    Free Member

It's a very nice idea, depends why you want to move there, are you thinking non stop surf or doc Martin?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It's full of people who live in London ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My brother, Yorkshire through and through ( with White Rose tattoo to prove it) has just had an offer accepted on a house in Truro. He seems happy about the idea so it might be a good one.

duntstick
    Free Member

Can you roll yer rrrrrr's?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I would like to find a single story barn thing with a sea view, work on doing it up, have a home office where I could work remotely doing whatever, a garden to grown foods and things, maybe a hot tub and oh oh oh and a cannon, I'd love to have a cannon too.

jacko54321
    Free Member

what's the work situation like down there?

less jobs and probably less money if you get one, but the price of life is cheaper and the quaity of life is alot better,

i would hate to live in the city

I would like to find a single story barn thing with a sea view, work on doing it up, have a home office where I could work remotely doing whatever, a garden to grown foods and things, maybe a hot tub and oh oh oh and a cannon, I'd love to have a cannon too.

think everyoe else had that idea 5 years ago, do well to find any in prime location

MrNutt
    Free Member

ok, when do I start?

Kevevs
    Free Member

Is it just an age/mental/life paradigm shift or sommat? I got totally fcuked off with living in London in shared houses and all that crap on little money. realised I could just have a much better way of life on a menial job if I moved to North Wales, on little money. I am happier for it. Depends what you want. Have a goooood looong think. write lists. What is wrong with a change in perspective. You can always change back.

oh, sorry, it's just some middle class dream. i didn't realise.

MrNutt
    Free Member

well I'm a country boy, sick of the town & city, would prefer to be out of that hell and somewhere where I could enjoy the area I live in.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It's very nice down here!

MrNutt
    Free Member

giz a job 😀

crispybacon
    Free Member

Nah you'd hate it down here mate, I'd stay in Swindon if I was you 😉

We've got nothing down here to rival the trails in the woods behind the Nationwide you have up there & everyone knows it's as flat as a pancake in Kernow.

Don't get sucked in by all that Doc Martin crap on the telly, it's so bad down here we've even got to charge people leaving Cornwall on the Tamar Bridge – we do let them in for free tho.

All the barns have already been done up & sold to the Chelsea tractor brigade, all the spare plots of land have been turned over to growing pasties courtesy of the EU CAP & hot tubs are now banned on H & S grounds, can't have people bathing outdoors down here.

Finally sorry to disappoint you but all the cannons have been melted down to make Orange P7's. If I can be of anymore assistance please let me know 'moi ansome' 😛

billyboulders
    Free Member

It is nice down here….but
    Finding a job is tricky (unless you want to be a care assistant on min.wage)
    Wages are generally a fair amount lower than elsewhere
    Property prices are relatively high (very high in some areas, e.g. Padstow)
    The cost of living is not as low as you would think (water rates, for example, are extortionate as the local water board are responsible for keeping the beaches/inshore waters clean and that cost is passed on to the consumer)
    Public transport is diabolical, as is the road network. Especially this time of year when the roads just choke with the extra numbers. It takes AGES to drive anywhere. There are quite a few nice B road runs once you get to know them tho 😉
    There are no venues for decent live music, theater, comedy…in fact any cultural activities come to that.
    It has to be said the riding is not great. What at first appears to be miles of open countryside is in fact pretty much all enclosed farmland with little or no public access and there are no big hills at all.
    Very high average yearly rainfall

Biggest bonus would have to be the beaches, although if you think mountain biking has it's share of wannabe poseurs wait 'til you sample the surf "scene" 😕

BillMC

I think Devon would be a much better option eg Barnstaple with town/community life, surf, offroad cycling, none of the Kernow chauvinism nonsense.

MrNutt
    Free Member

what is this Doc Martin thing? is it the boots? I'm not a fan of laces (did the whole 18 hole malarky at secondary school)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Isn't hell living there during summer with traffic?

MrNutt
    Free Member

thats fine, I don't mind walking 🙂

rexated
    Free Member

barnstaple is an ace place to live in as an mtber , exmoor, dartmoor, and quantocks all within striking distance. cheaper than kernow too and the coastline is just as good.

that said, there are a high number of chavs…. so i'd live in the outlying villages (if i didn't spend all my money on ridiculously expensive mtb kit).

walking is a good option in tourist season, especially if you have some nice sturdy doc martins.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Walking? no no no

Good excuse for a roadbike though!

MrNutt
    Free Member

what?!? actually ride my bike? are you out of your mind?!?!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I like it down here.Peacefull and some good riding.

MrNutt
    Free Member

That's what I'm taking about! I'd like somewhere near st just

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Solution to Summer crowds? Get a boat. Nowhere in the World I'd rather be.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Of course! A rib would be awe, er, fantastic! 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I lived there when i was younger and remember spending about 4 years looking out the window at the near constant rain. And when it stops, the tourists turn up in there 1000's.

Also, as other people have said, property places are very high, except in the rubbish run down areas like St Austell.

if you've got the money though to live somewhere nice and you enjoy the sea, it could be great.

billyboulders
    Free Member

St Just Penwith (OK riding up on the nearby Moors, like I said before, no real hills to speak of tho just a few good 2-3 minute descents) or, more expensive property-wise, St Just-in-Roseland?

daleman
    Free Member

Was born in cornwall and would not live there for anything, it's OK for a summer holiday but during the winter months it can be very bleak ,full of moaning OAP"s and it takes hours of driving if you want to get some place else. moved up north to Preston and love the fact i can be in the lakes north Wales peak district in two hours.
    Traveling down to Plymouth soon for the newnam 60 and visit family put dreading the journey.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Lived there for a year – loved it, but it gets wetter and windier than you think, is a hell of a long way from anywhere, nearest half decent airport is Brizzle. And way too busy in summer.

Try Devon

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hmmm – strange views some of you have.

Living in Cornwall –

Nip to the beach after work
    Have a surf before work
    Bring up kids by/on the beach
    Very little crime
    Amazing scenery all over the place
    Now plenty of good places to eat
    Laid back people with a sensible view of life
    Nip by boat to Falmouth/St Mawes/secluded beach by boat on a sunny afternoon
    Tonnes and tonnes of great MTB trails

Sure a good job won't find you – it needs searching out – but if you can live down here, it's total paradise for the "right" people.

Cornwall vs Preston 😯 😆 😆 😆 😆

billyboulders
    Free Member

Tonnes and tonnes of a few short but great MTB trails

-Fixed that for you 🙂

Sorry-compared to other areas in the UK we just don't have the altitude gains/losses to make good trails. Just take an hours drive up the road to Dartmoor and have a proper ride and you'll see what I mean. Having said that it is nice to be in the woods almost straight out of the front door and all types of users seem to get on better than in other areas I've ridden.

I love living in Cornwall been here most of my life, and as you rightly say it's a great place to bring up my children but if you think the riding down here is awe..er I mean fantastic then I'm afraid I would have to disagree

trailmonkey

it's total paradise for the "right" people.

you make it sound really welcoming, i'd imagine the op is on his way down immediately.

Kevevs
    Free Member

So, MrNutt, having absorbed all the fantastic wealth of knowledge and experience on STW, are you gonna make the move? downshift from being Damn Talented, sell shells on the sea shore!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Billy – you aren't looking hard enough.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Mat, I've lived here pretty much all my life and ridden mountain bikes for well over 20 years. I do know the area very well, and there are some good trails but take a look out of your window- where are the big hills? Where are the 10-15 minute flat out downhills, where are the full day out off road rides? They're just not there I'm afraid.

Nip by boat to Falmouth/St Mawes/secluded beach by boat on a sunny afternoon

Do you mean that sunny afternoon back in June or the other sunny afternoon we had back in spring 2006? 😉

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Having said that it is nice to be in the woods almost straight out of the front door

i have the penwith moors on my doorstep, but where are there woods near st just?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ive got skye 1.5 hours from here.. torridon about 1 hour 20 mins.lots of 20+ min descents but i would rather be down there.

getting sun stroke in Newquay a few decades ago wont keep me away.I remember the south end of Fistral beach with no buildings on the hill above it. The last pic i saw it was built up a bit since then. maybe the way its turned out would peeve me off. Has Newquay gone quiet for the end of summer yet or is it still silly busy?

jam-bo

Newquay never goes quiet anymore.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘I would like to move to Cornwall…’ is closed to new replies.