Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I waterproofed my hands…
  • medoramas
    Free Member

… while “nikwaxing” my rain gear yesterday…

I thought it was absurd thing to happen – the hands are waterproof by nature, aren’t they?

For some reason I forgot to wear the classic yellow Merigolds. “Hand wash mode”.
    Two jackets, two pair of shorts. First in the Tech Wash, then the waterproofing stuff.

It’s been about 15 hours since then, I did few water and soap (or other detergent) involved actions (shower, bathing the kid, dish washing…) and my hands still feel really weird! A bit similar when you get a candle wax on your finger…

But it looks so cool seeing how water bounces off the skin! And no towel required – just shake the hand few times and voila! 😆

Rubber_Buccaneer

hands are waterproof by nature, aren’t they?

No! Your skin breathes, it is vital to your survival. If you nikwaxed your whole body you would die (fact) so always remember to leave a patch of untreated skin in the small of your back.

survivor

Oh lord your on borrowed time now. Your skin won’t be able to breath and you’ll suffocate from the inside.

Make peace with enemies say goodbye to your family and prepare for the worst.

or it’ll probably come off in a few days. ?

Cougar

If you nikwaxed your whole body you would die (fact) so always remember to leave a patch of untreated skin in the small of your back.

Have you been watching too many James Bond movies? That’s not (fact), it’s simply not true.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I may have seen Goldfinger once 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh lord your on borrowed time now. Your skin won’t be able to breath and you’ll suffocate from the inside.

johndoh
    Free Member

or it’ll probably come off in a few days.

Or if my North Face jacket is anything to go by, a few short hours 🙁

Rubber_Buccaneer

Buddhas lost some weight 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Unless you have that kind of figure ^^^^^ then this thread is NOT useless without pics…..

medoramas
    Free Member

If I covered my feet in the stuff – would I be Jesus-walking on water?

hammyuk
    Free Member

It is true actually.
    Mythbusters did the Goldfinger experiment and Adam was very ill as his core temp rocketed due to not being able to sweat and cool down.

Cougar

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp

Although it was still widely believed at the time Goldfinger was made (1964) that we “breathe” through our skin and that closing off all the pores in one’s body would result in a quick death, we now know this to be false. (Another commonly accepted part of this concept was the notion that leaving a small portion of the body unpainted was sufficient to ward off disaster.) As long as a person can breathe through his mouth and/or nose, he will not die of asphyxiation, no matter how much of his body is covered with paint (or any other substance). This isn’t to say that painting yourself isn’t unsafe, however — clogging all your pores prevents you from perspiring and could eventually cause you to die from overheating, and toxic substances found in paint could contribute to your demise if you stay in a painted state too long.

sandwicheater

Worst super power, ever.

wwaswas

does seem odd anyone believed that then – it’s not like there weren’t aqualungs allowing prolonged submersion and no air getting to your body.

nickc

Yeah you’d die eventually through overheating, but not asphyxiation.

stumpy01

I waxed my Wife’s car at the weekend and got quite a bit of wax on my hands from the sponge I used to put in on the car with.

That made my hands quite hydrophobic for a while – took several scrubs with soap to get the wax layer off.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Does it mean you don’t go all wrinkly if you stay in the bath too long?

If you covered yourself in neverwet, would you float?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q2xZfrUwbc[/video]

Remember when neverwet 1st came out, everyone was talking about coating their bikes in it… has anyone tried it yet?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I waterproofed my hands…’ is closed to new replies.