• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I was just riding along…. broken 575 swingarm :o(
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Back from the alps now… managed to snap the swingarm on my old style 575 :o(

I was 'just riding along', down a 'french red' trail in Valloire (which is an awesome place by the way)… rode around this corner:

and this happened:

BUGGER!

I have emailed Yeti in the states… so watch this space to see what happens!

Dave

clubber
    Free Member

Bad luck…

Out of interest, how old, what's the warranty on it and just what are you expecting?

The fact that it broke when you were JRA just means that it had got damaged enough to break earlier when you were probably giving it more beans.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

OUCH!

I hope mine doesn't do that!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeti are usually very good with the warranty…… I never tested it though but I know someone that did

alfabus
    Free Member

Its a 2006 frame… I didn't buy it new; I bought it from the classifieds from GoogNoog (now called goog, I believe).

The JRA claim was a bit tongue in cheek… I've ridden this bike properly for quite a while – this is its 3rd summer in the alps, plus plenty of fun in Wales.

But! I still don't think it should fail at the weld like that; I think the weld went (possibly assisted by the turning moment from the brakes), and the carbon hinge went as a result.

I'd love for Yeti to give me a brand new ASR-7… but I would be over the moon if they gave me a new frame, or even just a new swingarm.

Most likely, I expect they will sell me a new swingarm at cost; and that would be fair of them. I've sent them a friendly email saying that I love the bike, and can't really afford to replace it at the moment.

We shall see :o)

Dave

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds like you're about right with your expectations there though fingers crossed that they do better!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

You'll be lucky getting warranty / crash replacement on a 2nd hand frame unless you have the original receipt…

cynic-al
    Free Member

That goog is teh gnarl!

Seriously though it is irrelevant where it broke – it was cracked for a while, just waiting to go, thankfully not while you were pulling out in front of a bus etc.

From my lbs days…

customer – "My gear cable has snapped"
    Me – "where?"
    customer – "Just by the chip shop on Dalkeith Road" 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

If it was googs it was only minced on 8)

oldgit
    Free Member

No chance.
    I know of two local 575's where the carbon swing arm has 'just' gone. One at least was witnessed by a few of us and the bike was out on it's first 'proper' trip.
    As everyone on here said when it happened 'tough' 'stuff breaks' etc etc.
    The old swing arm is still in the shop, you can see it's imaculate not an external mark anywhere.
    The guy still rides his older ASR? light full suss?? everywhere.
    Not good.

tangobravo
    Free Member

by the amount of yeti rear swing arm replacements i see on peoples backs at events like mayhem, i think they break quite often…

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

There seems to be a problem with carbon chainstays on the latest models of 575. The Yeti forum has several guys who have had theirs break. Of course Yeti maintain that there is no design fault, but one break is unlucky, two is a coincidence and three or more seems to indicate a problem. Why would anyone want carbon chainstays on a mountain bike? They are in the line of fire for all the crap thrown up from the trail – an accident waiting to happen. I bought alloy stays on my 575, and have had no problems.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

You are dreaming if you think you'll get a warranty for a second hand frame… They haven't made a dime from you, so long story short, you are not their customer… Warranty only applies to the original owner and is non-transferrable. That is the policy of all manafacturers. It will be interesting to hear how they word it, but the message will be the same. Sorry.

Pete
    Free Member

I'll be having a closer look at my 575 swingarm, its done a couple of Alps trips, Scotland Seven Stanes, Wales etc.. What size disk have you got on the back, looks like a 180mm.

alfabus
    Free Member

It is a 180mm xt – which is what their documentation says is the maximum allowed.

And it is the alloy swingarm (as the pictures show!), not the carbon one.

I know that the chances are slim, considering that I'm not the original purchaser, but hoping they will at least let me buy a swingarm… with some sort of discount!

Dave

DezB
    Free Member

@skidsareforkids – have you read all the postings? Thought not.

Gonna check mine over tonight… I suspect my jammed on crank will be the only problem though. And I think I'll stick with the 160mm rotor on the back. I'm expecting to keep my 575 for a good few more years yet.

Good luck with the claim Dave, hope Yeti sort you out with something.

AndreyE
    Free Member

Is there any update to this case?

Has Yeti come up with anything?

alfabus
    Free Member

Yeti have passed me on to Evolution Imports (Bromley bike). I'll update when something happens.

Dave

easygirl

those discs look bloody hot!! 😯

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Dont want to stray from the Oroginal post but this happened just under 2 months ago on my brand new 575, 20 mins into my first ride. Luckily my mate had a spare mech hanger so just replaced it. No problems since, touch wood.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Discs look pretty normal (for an alpine descent) to me easygirl, certainly my hope mini rear looked like that just before it boiled and stopped working entirely 😀

genesis
    Free Member

Seems to be a normal Yeti faliure that's where they tend to go.
    JRA to the pub/shops is oddly the most common form of warranty issue 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's amazing just how harsh JRA can be! Imagine the stats behind warranty claims, they must be begging for people to take them racing offroad, failures are so unlikely like that!

ojom
    Free Member

BrokenCollarBones – sure that wasn't a rear mech problem… it seems to have sheared the drop out off. Like when you pedal when you shouldn't when your chain is jiggered.

uplink
    Free Member

IIRC a replacement rear triangle is around £400 under Yeti's crash replacement scheme

I could – however – be confusing it with something else

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

thebikechain – happened as i was going up a climb, chain did slighty jam but thought the mech hanger should have been alot stronger.

MattF

mech hanger stronger = busted XO mech. Did exactly what it's designed to do in my opinion.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Thanks MattF – never thought of it that way.

Alfabus – hope you get your rear swing arm sorted

Del

as above, if you weren't the original customer they might help, but they're under no obligations.

and yes – the mech hanger is a sacrificial part, more to protect your frame than anything else.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I was just riding along…. broken 575 swingarm :o(’ is closed to new replies.