• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mcj78.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I want to learn how to build my own wheels
  • breninbeener

I work shifts so would struggle with an attendance course.

so is there an online tutorial, or book that can teach me what i want to know?

Im not a mechanical numptie, and would really love to learn.

thanks

Ian

wwaswas

The Roger Musson book plus a reasonable jig, dishing gauge and you’ll be fine.

I started re-rimming a couple of wheels to get a feel for it without having to worry about spoke lacing.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown & Rodger Musson are your guides.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another one for Roger Musson.Just follow the process. If you’re not a mechanical numptie you’ll find it all quite straightforward.

qwerty
    Free Member

I started re-rimming

wwaswas

You, in the cheap seats, settle down!

🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

The Roger Musson book

+1. i bought this and a true pro a few years back. i must have built around 6 pairs of wheels since. great fun. 😀

breninbeener

Is it all e-book?

kayak23

+1 Roger Musson.

Built three wheels so far. Not perfect but still together.

tthew

It’s a bit old fashioned, some outdated theories in the light of modern rim/hub design and materials but Jobst Brant’s book is pretty good if you like a proper printed book.

Personally I think a spoke tensometer is more useful than a dishing tool. Others may disagree.

timraven

Wheelpro

Very easy to follow, I had a mate build the truing stand.

Very satisfying to build your own wheels, but I wouldn’t call it fun 8)

Rosss
    Free Member

Is there an up-to-date physical book out that is decent, I fancy a bit of evening reading on this

paulwf

I printed out the wheelpro (Musson) one. Was pretty easy to do, and I am happy with the stand!

takisawa2

Much to the Wifes annoyance, I took Roger Musson to bed. I’ll admit to drifting off during the more techy bits, & he was on the floor when I awoke, but something must have gone in because next day I went on to pre-lube 32 nipples. Good old nipple driver helped stop me going too deep. First one was on the dining room table, but the Wife came home early & hit the roof. Next one was in the garage, but finished a few off in the garden last summer too. Old chap next door even watched me finish one off from over the fence.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I built several simply using Sheldon Browns’ guide and some zip ties on the fork leg, and my fingers to gauge spoke tension.

I’ve no doubt they could be built to a higher standard, but mine have lasted just fine. I think this is because i’ve not gone super lightweight so there is a margin of error (rather than me having exceptional wheel building skills)

I’ve built mine using Novatec hubs, ACI DB spokes (i.e, nothing triple butted and 1.5mm thick) and mid-weight rims (e.g. in the past i’ve used Halo Aerotrack for disc road wheels, or Arch EX for MTB).

I also built some using those 288g road hubs on eBay, however the front 24h wheel came out a little flexy, and the rear 32h started breaking spokes after a couple of years. Nonetheless, they survived two seasons of racing, cost < 140 quid, and weighed around 1500g.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Roger Mussons book, all the way. Lots of detail and easy to follow instructions. It’s only a few quid, so go buy it. You can also email him if you have any problems. He’s been very helpful whenever I’ve asked anything.

I would definitely recommend building a truing stand. There’s plans for building one out of MDF in the book and the materials don’t cost much. I did make a modification to the stand by adding a micrometer. Was about a tenner in Toostation. I made the lateral and radial trueness guides as described in the book, but found it much quicker and easier using the micrometer, rather than eyeballing the gap between the rim and the guides I’d made.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

no question roger munsons book, i hate ebooks too, print it off, and work through step by step. i went through all the resources i could find and hands down it was the best. think you get lifetime downloads of the revisions too.

once you get the basics the jobst brandt one as well if you want more info, very similar but some different ideas and advice.

i would definitely buy a stand, even a basic one, and i would also buy a dishing tool. i did my first wheel with a bit of card and it really was not that accurate.

i could’nt even true a wheel before i bought roger’s book.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I believe a beard is required to build wheels. It’s near enough magical wizard level of bike skills anyway.

But other than that, a fair bit of money required for the stand, and patience. I’ve not built a wheel from scratch but just trying to true one a little bit out was a mission in itself.

dudeofdoom

+1 for Rogering Musson 🙂

I’ve got a park stand which is lush but I’ve heard the cheaper jobsworth ones aren’t to bad..

you can get by without a disher just a bit more arsing around and a tension meters nice but tbh again you can start wiv out.

I haven’t got a beard but tbh some of the wheels are cheaper bought made than building yourself..IMHO

willej

Gerd Schraner’s The Art of Wheelbuilding is very good too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I built stans arches on hopes with 2 pages of print outs from the internet, a bit of time to kill, some common sense and a bottle of beer. It went fine and they didn’t eben need truing after it bit of use.

It’s not a black art, it’s just being methodical.

andywill

It was easier than I thought it would be. I found a youtube video to explain the lacing and I think it was a Sheldon brown article that I used to do the trueing. 2 more wheels to do soon

breninbeener

Guys, this is ace. Thanks for the input. Im def going to do this asap

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve built a couple of sets using the Roger Musson ebook thing – first set I built have done around 3-4000 miles & never been touched since, used the upturned frame / forks as a jig & patience, lots of patience – be methodical is the best advice. I find finger tightening the nipples (fnarr) until they start to grip then working round every spoke & giving them a full turn or two each for starters, after that a full turn / half a turn each until the tension starts to build – address any issues as they appear & check for true each time you get back to the starting point. I try to get the dish close as I go – if it looks off centre as you build the tension up, give one side a half turn instead of a full turn, if your tension is too high once you start to dish, every slight adjustment makes a massive difference to the shape.

You’ll also need beer & some high grade swear words.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I want to learn how to build my own wheels’ is closed to new replies.