• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by km79.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I want to get rid of all my DVD's and stick them onto a hard drive.
  • thered

Can you help. I understand that I will need NAS drive’s and that these can be accessed when the computer is off but I then need an interface to play the DVD’s.

What’s the best way to go about this?

sirromj

Kodi on a Raspberry Pi works as an interface to media on NAS drives quite well, cheap too.

xora

Kodi on a Raspberry Pi works as an interface to media on NAS drives quite well, cheap too.

Once you add cost of PSU, SD card, case, your normally best off just getting a “kodi” box on ebay straight from China. Just avoid the “fully loaded” ones.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Do Kodi boxes act as media players as well? I’m using a Rasberry Pi, kodi and a western digital my cloud hard drive.

Cougar

Amazon Fire stick and a NAS that has a Plex server.

cranberry
    Free Member

Plex
    Plex
    Plex

Get a NAS, install Plex on it. Plex on whatever you want to use as a player.

For the NAS – Qnap or Synology.

To rip, I use AnyDVD and of course, Handbrake.

footflaps

To rip, I use AnyDVD and of course, Handbrake.

I find it far quicker and simpler just to torrent the films / CDs.

Ripping DVDs and even CDs is pretty slow and tedious.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Copyright Police to the forum please 😀

km79
    Free Member

I find it far quicker and simpler just to torrent the films / CDs.

Ripping DVDs and even CDs is pretty slow and tedious. This. I started ripping my collection once, it got tedious fast. It was quicker and better quality just to torrent them. Probably just as copyright infringing as well.

cranberry
    Free Member

I tend to copy a whole bunch of disks to my computer when I am working from home and then set Handbrake running for as many hours/days as it takes.

OK, exciting it isn’t, but it is not such a bad job.

I have however helped friends who already have a disk to save a little time if I have already ripped it.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I ripped all of mine to a silent media PC with the aid of an external dvd drive and another PC. Can’t remember the exact software.. might have been handbrake.

Boot up time with the SSD etc is seconds and having the PC hooked up to the TV is useful if you ever want to watch online stuff on a proper TV

thered

What is Plex?

thered

Hmmm. On investigation 4K seems to make this less attractive.

Am I right in saying that an average 4K movie will use 150GB of space, therefore a 10TB drive is filled by 6 4K films?!?

simondbarnes

Am I right in saying that an average 4K movie will use 150GB of space, therefore a 10TB drive is filled by 6 4K films?!?

Umm, I think your maths are wrong – that would be about 66 films

km79
    Free Member

Hmmm. On investigation 4K seems to make this less attractive.

You have 4K DVDs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I want to get rid of all my DVD's and stick them onto a hard drive.’ is closed to new replies.