Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I want to do 120+ miles Sunday
  • oldgit
    Free Member

But I doubt I’ll be arsed 😐

Riding on my own so always easier to keep the pace. Going to do 70 come what may. Suppose I’ll just have to add another circuit.
    This is where it’s nice to live in bigger countryside. Where I am it’s great little lanes, but turn after turn.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ll be happy with 15 miles, probably 3/4 of them up to the axles in mud

sambob
    Free Member

Did about 15 miles today. A very hilly, windy, muddy 15 means I’m shattered.

GW
    Free Member

This is where it’s nice to live in bigger countryside. Where I am it’s great little lanes,

is anywhere barring central London more than 15miles from that?

RealMan
    Free Member

Thinking about 50-60 hard miles with the club, then off to the bmx track for the first time in ages 😀

Dickyboy

if tomorrow’s weather in the chilterns is anywhere near as good as today you’ll love if – there was like a plague of cyclists out there this morning 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll be touching the Chilterns, got my route nutted out in my head.

Jase
    Free Member

What time you starting as daylight may be an issue 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Leaving at 10am that’s why I’m on my own. I was intending to do the usual Club 100km i.e the Luton CC RT route. Then slap a 46 mile Tring/Wendover/The Crong loop on.

flap_jack
    Free Member

venture a little further north. really quiet in the triangle bounded by the A421, A422 and MK V4, but not too twisty. Can average over 20mph on a good day (obviously not for 120 miles though).

Jase
    Free Member

Thats where I’m off to tomorrow.

allthepies
    Free Member

28 miles of Surrey Hills today, trails pretty dry considering 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

flap jack, that might be the final leg if I do it. It’s not the distance, it’s doing alone.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’ll wave as you ride past me. Average 16.4 last weekend. Pitiful.

oldgit
    Free Member

It was windy last weekend. Going to Google map that triangle. Our club often heads out north of MK, but I don’t lead those

oldgit
    Free Member

Not sure where the V4 bit is, but we head out of Leighton Buzzard the head for;
    Cranfield
    Turvey
    Olney
    Towcester
    (cross the A5 not sure where we go)
    Nash?
    Deanshanger
    Then head back, it’s about 72 miles.
    We have a few riders from MK in our little club.

flap_jack
    Free Member

My route is:

Out of MK on the Calverton Lane, then

Upper, Middle, Lower Weald.
    Passenham
    Deanshanger
    Wicken
    Wicken Toys
    Lillingstone Lovell
    little bit on A413, sorry
    Bycell Road then right to
    Chackmore
    Radclive
    Gawcott
    Padbury
    Thornborough
    Nash
    Whadden
    and so back to the start.

You might find some of that entertaining, very minor roads so doesn’t suit a big group.

njee20
    Free Member

If you start at 10 then surely daylight could well be an issue, even at 20mph you’re looking at 6 hours, doesn’t leave much contingency!

A very nice 65 (road) miles round the Surrey Hills for me today, really busy, great to see!

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m heading out from Swindon, over the Severn Bridge and back tomorrow. About 100 miles on the nose. But my hero Tommy Godwin would have done 192 in 1939 more info here

Flapjack, you say not averaging 20mph over 120miles…he did. Men were made of girders in those days.

oldgit
    Free Member

njee20, I’ll ride a clover leaf route, so I’ll have cut offs. Just want to kick start 2012. Got three days to use up as well this month, so intend to do a 3 day midweek block.
    Then it’s back to proper training Saturdays and club runs Sunday.
    First road race mid March.
    March, April, May road racing.
    June, July, August, September Road and XC racing.
    September onwards, cross league.
    Some might call that a boring year, but not me.

lazybike
    Free Member

you say not averaging 20mph over 120miles…he did. Men were made of girders in those days

there must be plenty of decent riders that can do that….not me I might add, not even at my mediocre best

Kevevs
    Free Member

cheers DavidB, that Tommy Godwin FAQ is fascinating. 100000 miles on a staple of bread, eggs, butter, tea and cheese! No gels or energy drinks then? Makes modern cyclists look like complete pansies 😀

flap_jack
    Free Member

ahem, I am in my 50s so a bit past my prime…

oldgit
    Free Member

Wimped out. Been getting up at 4.30am and did today, so went out early for a regular 100km. Actually my excuse is that my tyres are on their last legs…no seriously. New ones ordered 😐

Jase
    Free Member

Me and Rich agreed this morning that our ride with you guys last year was one of the most enjoyable so expect us back in the spring.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ahhh you are sweet.

flap_jack
    Free Member

conditions perfect at the sunday morning worship at the church of the curly bar.

Just downloaded stats. 18.0 mph, that’s more like it, av power 270W. Still buzzing.

xcneil
    Free Member

270w avg power output, what system you using ?

RealMan
    Free Member

Ended up doing a 10 mile TT (didn’t realise it was on until last night), and then off to the bmx track. Very nice day. Tired now though.

aP
    Free Member

Nice steady 50 miles this morning including a quick trip through Brooklands to look at the Hunters and then MercWorld to watch the S-class spinning on the skid pan.

singletrackmind

OG . Those BellVita breakfast biccys you like on your road rides are half price in Tesco atm . Worth buying a few boxes as they are handy for a jersey pocket , and at £2.70 a box tad expensie , but £1.35 is bearable

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wussed out too. I wanted to do a decent ride over hardknott and wrynose, the weather was ideal – not much wind and only a bit of drizzle. Set off in that direction but I was a bit hungover and my legs felt dead so I wimped out and did a fairly easy 40 miles. Maybe next weekend.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll get some, my missus bought the ones with fruit in them and they take a whole ride to chew.

flap_jack
    Free Member

270w avg power output, what system you using

something rather inaccurate I suspect.

Polar 725 guitar pick-up thingy. I do calibrate it regularly against my Tacx Flow, and mess about with the chain weight and length parameters until I get a similar reading over 30 minutes, using different brake settings / gears etc. Of course, I have no idea how accurate the Flow is so it might all be nonsense, but it does keep me entertained.

Kuco

Got a new road bike just before christmas and have only been out on it a few times due to various reasons 🙁 Hoping all that to change as from tomorrow up to April i’ve got every Monday and Friday off so hoping to build up some decent road miles 🙂

Cheers for the heads up on the BellVita breakfast biccys 🙂

smell_it
    Free Member

First decent length ride on my new to me px team alu, which has taken over winter duties from my snapped principia. Popped in just over 90 miles going from crumpsall to bakewell to drop a birthday card in at my aunts. Fortunately they were out, weather was good, and ride time was just under 6 hours. Didn’t really push it, but was chuffed at how well the alu frame rode with some cheap pro-lite forks, felt pretty fresh and not beaten up. Considering frame, fork and headset cost me less than a ton, i’m a happy man.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I want to do 120+ miles Sunday’ is closed to new replies.