Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I want to buy some artwork – where to look?
  • brack
    Free Member

Up and coming contemporary artists…

Where is the best place to look?

jon1973
    Free Member

do you want to buy as an investment or just to enjoy?

fontmoss
    Free Member

ahem, a gallery….

unless you know what you want its gonna be hard to point you anywhere. the artist that did radioheads covers sells stuff online, up and coming then you need to go to galleries where there are good art schools esp around end of academic year or head to art fairs eg battersea affordable art fair etc

brack
    Free Member

Well financial appreciation would be nice …obviously. But it has to be liked first and foremost. I have jsut finished the renovation of my own house and have a large wall that is crying out for some canvas art.

Love Pollock, John Squire style random splash/ flick.

Goldsworthy is hugely inspirational but want to steer clear of photographs.

ojom
    Free Member

if you like this stuff http://www.pollychandler.com/ she is lovely,

i bought my favourite of her work a few years ago for a very reasonable sum. she was so shocked i got in touch, very gracious an self effacing. see more here>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/polly_chandler/4207426915/

ojom
    Free Member

just saw your photo comment… too late! oops.

roper
    Free Member

Love Pollock, John Squire style random splash/ flick.

Buy some canvas, tins of coloured paints and get some sticks and paint brushes. Give it a go.

To be honest you might find it difficult to find any up and coming artist painting in this way. (At least I hope so).
    You'd be better off going to as many openings and shows as possible. Get to know what it is you would want if you are unsure or who you would like to produce it.

brack
    Free Member

I have been tempted to do that…thinking how difficult can it be?? But time and the fear of screwing up an expensive canvas keeps stopping me.

Mcmoonter they aren't my thing mate but thanks anyhow

TooTall
    Free Member

Find a local gallery and frequent it. My parents go here:

tallantyre-gallery

They have a couple of pieces from some very new and rapidly-gaining-in-popularity artists.

teagirl
    Free Member

There's an old guy in Todmorden who has an experienced eye for comtemp stuff and over the years he never has got it wrong. Buy what he recommends and likes and you'll be set up. Has a gallery in central Tod, not posh (tatty actually) at all but an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Other than that just buy Kurt Jackson or anything (almost) from Lemon Street Gallery in Truro.

lister-hooded
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I bought one by Nikky Corker

Original not a print and not silly money for what is a 1 off

roper
    Free Member

Canvas isn't very expensive, depending on the grade and you can buy it already primed if you would rather.
    Just lay it out flat and work over it. Dribbling and flicking paint from above using your elbow and shoulder rather than just the hand and wrist. Try not to focus on one point but use your whole vision. Enjoy it too, it could be lots of fun an you might learn something new.

You can see how it's done here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrVE-WQBcYQ

Really give it a go. If nothing else it will give you a better understanding of what to look for.

Break a leg. 🙂

dawson

have a look at this clicky

UncleFred
    Free Member

Have a look at my brothers site.

Readerswives Collective

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We have paintings from both Amy Marshall and Andy Craig. Both coast themed. Nice.

SaxonRider

This artist is fairly close to Todmorden:

http://www.kristahowell.co.uk/

vooomvooom
    Free Member

Have a look at this http://www.everynicething.com/

grantway
    Free Member

Find some Urban spray artist and let them spray the wall

thats what im looking for to spray my dinning room
    chimney breast cool art different and cheap.

woffle
    Free Member

buying art for financial gain is a real game of pot luck. My parents bought a fair few bits by an artist that they loved in the 1990's – I think by 2002 they'd tripled in value. However, they're now worth pretty much what they paid / maybe a little less as the artist is out of fashion. They don't care as they love the work rather than it's £££.

MrsMoo
    Free Member

If you don't mind buying off the internet, try :

http://www.minigalleryworld.com/

There's all sorts on there, orginals, prints, photography, etc, from lots of different artists.

I bought a canvas off there a couple of years ago

TooTall
    Free Member

Find some Urban spray artist and let them spray the wall

thats what im looking for to spray my dinning room
    chimney breast cool art different and cheap.

erm….cool – batchelor pad I take it?

nowthen
    Free Member

Go to Havana, Cuba… we got some amazing acrylics for less than the cost of framing them…

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorted.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just do it yourself, maybe have a few practice attempts then go for it, not particularly hard id imagine, not like painting a decent landscape.

Paying money for it and looking at it as an investment seems like a mad concept.

Or you could get a cool cutting edge street artist to do it for you, yeah man!

Lardy_biker
    Free Member
    hitman
    Free Member

brack
    not sure what sort of price you're willing to pay but IMHO most of the art I see displayed is ridiculously overpriced. You need to find someone who is an artist and who is hasn't yet become commercial – easier said than done. Luckily for me I have a friend who is a talented artist – had a place in art school, didi'nt bother going and then picked up a brush and started painting, drawing, photographing and sculpting again after 15 years. The problem is that he doesn't want to sell his work so if you ask him how much for a piece he sets a ridiculous price. In the end I took a piece from his house, rangt him and offered him a reasonable amount and he was happy!? I know his partner is getting sick of the amount of paintings etc in the house – I'm sure this is the sort of person you need to find.

the-muffin-man

How to make money from art…

• Find up and coming artist.
    • Buy all their best work.
    • Have artist meet a nasty fatal accident.
    • Paintings triple in value!

…Bob's, your mother's brother!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I want to buy some artwork – where to look?’ is closed to new replies.