Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • I want a private reg (poor scorn upon me)…
  • BigJohn

I saw the SIS rep at Swinnertons once. His reg was S15 REP. The boss of RRP mudguards has BO55 RRP on his Tesla.
    But I really like the ones that demonstrate a collapse in status like V8 BMW on a clapped out Micra or B1TCH on a divorcee’s range rover that the embittered ex bought for her.

jimjam
    Free Member

BigJohn

But I really like the ones that demonstrate a collapse in status like V8 BMW on a clapped out Micra

That’ll just be someone with a good sense of humour or irony. But “M3 —” on a 320d or similar, not so much.

MartynS

There was a white Range Rover sport in Stockport with the reg Pu 55y…

jimjam
    Free Member

MartynS – Member

Some people really do love cats.

Nobby

I really don’t see the problem if there’s no moving/mishaping of letters/digits or random use of screw caps etc to alter the actual appearance.

In response to the OP, I don’t think you can trace a vehicle’s owner unless you have a valid reason which I doubt includes wanting their reg no.

stevied
    Free Member

On a blacked out Merc, driven by an Middle Eastern looking fella, in Putney…

J1HAD 😯

Nobby

MartynS – Member

There’s a more subtle Qashqai in Farningham with VA61 NAL.

garage-dweller

I have taken a pause from watching a movie to reply to this.

Scorn? I will pour nothing of the sort. It is a poor substitute for boiling tar and feathers which will block your pores to.

I just need to get my paws on some tar now.

Has nobody suggested

TO55ERS yet?

If you want a personal plate go for it. Get whatever you want. Just don’t be one of those tools who spaces them illegally with extra bolts. When I am promoted to chief accomodation officer in Hell I shall allocate a whole special extra hot, super sharp pitchforked level for them, people who tint their front windows and this morning’s weapon of an XC90 driver.

Music on this level will consist of the spice girls least catchy tunes, Bjork and Back Street Boys and there will be no pudding EVER.

sc-xc

stevied – Member
    On a blacked out Merc, driven by an Middle Eastern looking fella, in Putney…

J1HAD

POSTED 46 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Not only is this clearly untrue, there was an recall on (real plate) JH11 HAD recently by DVLA.

sc-xc

In fact, there’s a few claimed on here that just don’t exist.

bencooper
    Free Member

Still my favourite:

sweepy
    Free Member

There was a white e type jag in Kenley in the eighties with 007 as the plate. I can still remember the picture in the local firelighter when he crashed it, it was carnage.

Houns

I had one many, many moons ago, I got it when I was young, dumb(er) and not full of ….. it kinda said Houns. When the car it was on died I didn’t bother sorting the transfer out.
    I just think they’re daft, on the rare occasion you see a good one that makes you chuckle, but there are too many ridiculous ones around.
    The ones that make me shake my head are…..

B16 *** anyone that has “big” or “mr big” has penis issues

BO55 *** see above

A plate relating to manufacturer or model of car….. You’ve spent £250+ to tell us what car you drive, you do realise the cars badges are only a few cm away from your rear plate?!!

Any football team names. WBA is popular around here; did the football club buy you the plate as a sponsorship deal??!

Oh and one final one that I often spot…. there’s a car with a plate that ends in ROG, the owner has stuck a sticker with ER next to the plate on the bodywork

Two of the ‘best’ I’ve seen lately

Almost admire them for this one

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I bought a car that had a “private reg” on it.

I felt like a tit driving it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say get one if you want and ignore the detractors, it’s your money.

Just don’t missalign the letters and make it illegal.

Which brings me to the point of why Plod don’t stop and fine anyone who does this, and all these road cameras that check number plates for tax/ins etc. can the cameras actually read the number plates ?

fooman

I had an old sports car with private plate, kinda meaningless (previous owners initials) but it hid the age of the car – I liked it for that reason but was an odd font so I had standard plates made up.

Another motor I owned had WWW in the reg, it wasn’t a private plate but I went to work for an Internet company and people there thought I’d bought it!

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Not a fan of personalised plates myself

My advice – find the plate you like, see what it costs and donate the same amount to charity instead of buying the plate

drlex
    Free Member

^ does that apply to everything you don’t happen to like/agree with?
    Personally I’m fine with them – the Government gets money for people’s vanity and if you have an incident, it’s usually easier to remember the ‘plate.

stevied
    Free Member

Not only is this clearly untrue

Maybe you were there? Do you have proof that it is clearly untrue?
    2 of us saw it and both commented. Maybe it was a fake plate, who knows, but that’s the plate that was on the car 🙄

iainc

it they look good and fit your name, why not. My wife has one, first bit is F10, then the first 3 letters of our short surname. Her first name is Fiona.

Cost around £500 ten tears ago, has been transferred between cars a few times.

DezB
    Free Member

IS that Ranger Rover driver a member of the ramblers association?

slowoldman

I’ve always thought the desire for private plates is a bit meh, but it’s not as odd as waxing your privates.

johndoh
    Free Member

The wife of the boss of a carpet shop in Harrogate has (on her top of the Range Rover obviously) something like M1LFY.

And she really, really isn’t.

jimjam
    Free Member

iainc – Member

it they look good and fit your name, why not. My wife has one, first bit is F10, then the first 3 letters of our short surname. Her first name is Fiona.

Because they never look good, they never fit your name and more importantly, random strangers don’t want or need to know your name or your profession, nor do they want to engage in a somewhat involuntary guessing game as to what the hell you are trying to spell in some kind of garbled nonsense speak.

Of the 30 million or so cars on the road the vast majority are anonymous and relatively invisible as the number plates aren’t some narcissistic statement of misplaced self importance.

Do people with p3r50nal13d registrations feel the need have a giant banner on the roof of their house announcing their identity to passers by? Do they have t-shirts with their names printed on them so complete strangers will know who they are when they walk around town?

I once passed a tiny little man in Belfast who looked a lot like the boxer Carl Frampton. “That looks like Carl Frampton” I thought for a split second before I read his t-shirt which said CARL FRAMPTON.

Oh how I muttered derisively.

[/sarcasm] [/devilsadvocate] [insertsmileyface] [insertfiendishsmileyface]

stumpy01

I’ve never got the private plate thing, but don’t really care if people have them or not. Just find it funny the sort of things people have….

Details of the car of any sort….? Why? I don’t get that. Yes, it says the model on the back of the car – why do you need to repeat it? Especially if it’s not quite right – there’s a bloke in an S2000 I see every now & again and part of the plate says S200…. so it’s missing a zero. Why bother, especially if it’s wrong.

Equally, mega obscure references to names. Yeah, it’s my name….but only the first bit of my name & then the second half doesn’t really mean anything either….erm, OK. No, that’s not a 6, it’s a G. Erm, no….it’s a 6.

One of the directors at a place I used to work had his initial and surname, but his surname was cut short & misspelt. What?! Why?

There was a small company near us that had managed to get the initials of the company, along with a load of sequential numbers, so their cars & vans all had XYZ 1, XYZ 2, XYZ 3 etc. which looked pretty good.

The best ones I can think of, that I’ve seen:
    A friend of my brother used to run a bookmakers. His numberplate read BIG ODDS if you squinted hard enough; it was something like BI6 0DD5.
    There used to be a Megane Sport Cup in bright yellow around our way that had the reg plate VAA V44 which I guess was taken from the advertising strapline Vaa Vaa Voom and looked quite good.

boblo
    Free Member

I nearly got run over by this div and his silly ‘motorcade’ while out for a ramble in da hood that is Bellendgravia. Shirley the ar$e end of the cherished plate market. Google ‘James Stunt’ but keep a bucket handy…

johndoh
    Free Member

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate.
    Mr. KVL 741Y

Nico
    Free Member

Make, model or technical detail about the car – probably acceptable. Your initials – borderline. Your name or profession – dodgy territory. Your name spelled incorrectly – hanging offence.

Now that’s where I differ. Why would you want the make or model of the vehicle? That’s already written all over the bloody thing, and it’s only a car ffs. Whereas you are a unique sentient being, worth celebrating.

My favourite so far: KI55 DRW. I hope Dr W was driving.

My least favourite: anything with “M3” on a beemer.

jimjam
    Free Member

Nico – Member

Make, model or technical detail about the car – probably acceptable. Your initials – borderline. Your name or profession – dodgy territory. Your name spelled incorrectly – hanging offence.

Now that’s where I differ. Why would you want the make or model of the vehicle? [/quote]

stumpy01

I’ve never got the private plate thing, but don’t really care if people have them or not. Just find it funny the sort of things people have….

Details of the car of any sort….? Why? I don’t get that. Yes, it says the model on the back of the car – why do you need to repeat it?

[devilsadvocate] Because it can be small, personal and ad an element of customisation to the car that is about the car, not the individual. A perfect example would be on Nick Mason’s 250 GTO. The reg simply says 250 GTO, which is acceptable.

V33 DUB PA55AT would not be. [/devilsadvocate]

Rockape63
    Free Member

There’s a bloke in my area drives a blinged up BMW and the plate is N8 BNW.

I mean, seriously…….!

crofts2007
    Free Member

Saw on a mediocre 3 series, GA 52 OWN.
    From Brighton? My mind said gays town? Just me?
    Do BMW drivers put private plates on in an attempt to elevate their perceived social status or is it because the cars are now that common they need all the help they can get finding them in car parks?

aracer
    Free Member

The first one is a huge fail as it requires illegal spacing.

Poor chap, nominative determinism and rhyming slang.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Best one I’ve seen is on a handyman’s van, A1 4CUP that was quite amusing.
    The worst one I saw was a friend who did the convoluted spacing and screws through the letters to make it his first name and last initial (it looked shit). The police obviously had a word, he had to change it all into proper spacing etc now it just makes his car look even older than it is! And it was a complete waste of money.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used to have a Boxster with the number plate BX02 EZR. Wish I’d kept the number plate when I sold the car

[edit – it came with the car when I bought it]

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z610IKfnsbE[/video]

Houns

Heh I had the alert for his vid pop up whilst reading this thread. TBH I thought he was going to buy the mcl 720s plate

stumpy01

jimjam – Member

A perfect example would be on Nick Mason’s 250 GTO. The reg simply says 250 GTO, which is acceptable.

But it’s just a bit…..pointless.
    You either know it’s a 250GTO, or you don’t.
    If you know, then you don’t need telling with a number plate. If you don’t know, then you probably don’t care if it’s a 250GTO or a Nissan 350Z.

ourmaninthenorth

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WJZmrp]V3RY APT[/url]

jimjam
    Free Member

stumpy01

But it’s just a bit…..pointless.
    You either know it’s a 250GTO, or you don’t.
    If you know, then you don’t need telling with a number plate. If you don’t know, then you probably don’t care if it’s a 250GTO or a Nissan 350Z.

In the grand scheme of things it’s certainly not of great importance but legally the car needs number plates to go on the road. In cosmetic terms the smaller the better. I don’t think it’s a case of needing to announce to strangers what the car is (unless you were worried they might have mistaken it for a 250 gt, or lm or swb), just a bit of customization.

Sundayjumper

I didn’t see it in person, but a friend once spotted “HA5 1 LEG”, driven by a disabled chap who clearly had a good sense of humour 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘I want a private reg (poor scorn upon me)…’ is closed to new replies.