Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I want a GPS watch but I'm clueless
  • marksnook
    Free Member

So in the market for some kind of tracking watch. Not very with it tech wise so sorry for being an idiot!
    I want to be able track where I have been riding, I want it to sync to my phone so Bluetooth would be handy. Not bothered about any kind of notification from my phone or anything.
    Have been using a garmin forerunner 10 borrowed from a mate so when I’m home I plug it in to my computer, upload it then change it from a run to a ride. This sucks. I want it to just do its thing so I can get on with my life.
    Google has told me a garmin fenix 3 but if I could spend under 200 that would be great.
    I have found a reconditioned fenix 2 on ebay cheap ish but is recon a gamble? It doesn’t have to be garmin but that’s where I have started! Sorry for rambling on.

What I’m asking is what you all.using/ suggesting?

andytherocketeer

Polar M400
    must be cheap as chips now (£100 ish) since there’s a new model out.
    Just sync via bluetooth through the app on your phone (and you can set up Polar sync service to sync everything to Strava too).

kiwijohn

I’m still using a Fenix 1. Does everything I need. No issues.

juanghia
    Free Member

Have been using a garmin forerunner 10 borrowed from a mate so when I’m home I plug it in to my computer, upload it then change it from a run to a ride. This sucks. I want it to just do its thing so I can get on with my life.

Really, is this where life is right now?

If using a USB plug and manually changing your activity from Run to Ride on a computer is so excruciatingly laborious why not just download a GPS tracker programme to your phone so it does it all for you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I actually prefer TomTom to Garmin.

I paid £50 for mine, its a basic running one, but has bluetooth etc. Still have to change to ‘bike’ in Strava etc after upload, but never found that too much of a hassle.

TomTom do a running/bike version, just will be more £’s

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Garmin Forerunner 235.

lunge

Forerunner 35. Does what you want and more for under £200, I like mine a lot.

cookeaa

FR25?

Although it lacks multi-sport modes, if it’s just for cycling, why not try an edge 25?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Garmin Vivoactive HR is probably the best option at that price.

DickBarton

I’ve got a Vivoactive hr…great piece of kit…

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve got Forerunner 25. It syncs everything as “run”, but changing it within Strava/Garmin Connect (or whatever else) is easy. The only annoying bit is that the watch keeps all the “personal records” as they were from running activities – which means it must be thinking I’m faster than Usian Bolt…

smashit
    Free Member
    BillOddie

I have a TomTom Multisport.

Will sync to strava etc via bluetooth but to be honest I just stick it on it’s charging cradle and let it do it’s thing.

The only criticism I have of it is that bike mount is shit, so I leave it on my wrist.

marksnook
    Free Member

OK so plugging it in isn’t the end of the world I know but rarely use my laptop. It took me 45 minutes to plug it in and work it out his morning! I guess it will get quicker over time as I learn how but I don’t see any harm in wanting it to sync without me doing anything.
    Looked at the forerunner 230 as that has cycling mode. Not bothered about other sensors like heart rate etc. Will look into those other options.

Tbh criteria is sync on its own to my phone and record where I have been so I don’t need mega tech!

oikeith

If using a USB plug and manually changing your activity from Run to Ride on a computer is so excruciatingly laborious why not just download a GPS tracker programme to your phone so it does it all for you.

I agree with the OP turning on and waiting for my laptop to turn, then opening Garmin Express and then uploading anything was not a quick process! I now have the Garmin 920XT I can finish my ride, save activity, turn on bluetooth on phone, watch buzzes to say connected then drive home, by the time I’m home the activity is loaded to Garmin and Strava so I can review whilst on the loo before I jump in the shower.

I’d recommend the 920XT and the Polar M400, watch out for watches that are running devices and then require you to upload the activity and then change it from run to ride, this is a pain when you have Garmin or Polar set up to pass the new stuff to strava.

nickc

If you just wnat to track your rides, you can use any of the free tracking services apps that you could download onto your phone

Strava, Endomondo. etc will all do that.

Bez

(Slight hijack…)

What would be recommended for someone who would want just the basics, plus an integrated HRM (ie not a chest strap) as cheap as chips? Old/secondhand stuff would do.

I don’t care about connectivity, I wouldn’t log this stuff, just interested in time, distance, average speed and heart rate while running.

marksnook
    Free Member

Don’t know how to quote stuff but oikeith that is exactly it. I don’t like carrying my phone all the time when riding, I run a little so a watch would work better for that too. Bonus points for it looking like an actual watch too!

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a capable device with an integrated HRM at a reasonable then that’s probably going to mean either one of the Tom Tom’s (which can sometimes be had very cheap) or again the Garmin 235 or Vivoactive HR.

The Vivoactive HR is a great little device – not as pretty as a Fenix but with most of the functionality at a lower price. I’ve used mine for running (indoor and out), cycling and pool swimming and it’s been good for all of them. The optical HRM seems pretty accurate for me (compared to the readings when wearing a 220 using a chest strap) and one thing that I particularly like is how quickly it gets a GPS lock. Battery life is also excellent and it can even be expanded by downloading other apps to it. Sync to a phone works well on both the phones I’ve used. Overall it really is an excellent but of kit.

It works fine if you’re out without your phone as well – just then uploads the activity when you get back in bluetooth range of your phone.

andytherocketeer

Bonus points for it looking like an actual watch too!

twas why I got the Polar M400.
    it is both “normal watch size” and looks like a watch.

Needs Windows or OSX once to set it up. After that sync it once after a ride (or run, or swim, or zorbing, or one of a bazillion other activities) has finished via the phone app. Use browser to reconfigure* what you see on the watch for each sport type (and then sync via the app).

(* ie delete most things, and simplify what you want to see 😉 )

I think it does do stuff like phone notifications etc. but I cba with all that.
    The only time you need to plug in the USB cable is to charge it (and flash new firmware, which I mainly do to make the nag screen go away from the app 😉 ).

wideboy
    Free Member

FWIW I just grabbed a fenix 3 in the sale, and i’m very happy with, all the gps/altitude/HRM I could ever want for running, biking, hiking and skiing, combined with smart watch tech: text/email/fb/whatsapp updates etc. It is chunky though.

It’s great value for what it is.

Mrs has a forerunner 35 and loves it as it’s simple, small and has optical HRM, still receives texts etc and is half the price.

Drac

Another vote for Vivoactive HR it’s fantastic

guitarhero
    Free Member

Fenix 3 brand new on Handtec for £258 atm. Had mine for a month now and really liking it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My FR 235 was about 150 quid nearly new on eBay. Very happy with it, my wife with the 230 is jealous of the optical hrm which is the only difference from her model. But it’s probably a bit more than the OP really wants/needs.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What would be recommended for someone who would want just the basics, plus an integrated HRM (ie not a chest strap) as cheap as chips? Old/secondhand stuff would do.

Tom Tom something here. Bought it second hand and it does the job. It’s also got a built-in HRM which was another want, so I can track how much energy I’m using more accurately.

jam-bo

235 here. Tried a fenix but too big for my wrists.

Might try a fenix 5s when the 235 wears out

manic78
    Free Member

A tentative vote for the Garmin HR. GREAT for biking, you can see heart rate “Zones” et etc and is really great, swimming is ok, you get notifications on from your phone for emails etc, but the step count is woefully poor. Apparently I managed 371 steps whilst asleep last night!

marksnook
    Free Member

have to say i like the look of the forerunner 230/235. round and watch like ha ha
    that fenix does look bulkier. so the forerunner series is ok for what i want even though its a running watch?

tomtom spark3 looks alright too

torn

birky
    Free Member

When out on the bike does the Garmin Vivoactive HR show your current speed (via gps) or does it need a separate (ant?) sensor?

epicsteve
    Free Member

When out on the bike does the Garmin Vivoactive HR show your current speed (via gps) or does it need a separate (ant?) sensor?

It has it’s own GPS so shows the speed that way. It can connect to most ANT+ sensors as well (including speed/cadence I think) although doesn’t support power meters.

birky
    Free Member

Thanks

ampthill

I skipped alot

I have a Suunto Ambit3 run. Down to £109 on Wiggle

I usually sink via pc. Clip it to PC. Everything is then automatic. Really easy. It sinks routes for navigation at the same time.

It will sink with my phone. But that takes more action on my part. Just clicking on “watch” in the app. But it takes longer and doesn’t charge it. So for me the pc is more convenient

It also does trail of bread crumb navigation which I find very useful

ampthill

PS the forenner 10 just needs setting up correctly. My sons is set up like me Suunto. Clip it on and everything is magically happens from there including strava sink

dirkpitt74

Sorry for the thread revival.
    My trusty Forerunner 205 has given up after 10+ years of service – battery not holding charge.

I need another GPS and prefer a watch type as I use it for running and walks with the kids.

I did think about the Suunto AMbit3 Sport – but not sure if that’s overkill – especially when the TomTom Spark can be had for £60…..

What’s the treadmill mode like for both of these? how accurate is it?

Thanks

dirkpitt74

Took a punt on this – looks good value.

superstu
    Free Member

Garmin 35? Less features than the 235 but price reflects it. I’ve stopped using my Garmin touring since I bought it. Nice and compact too which is great for my stick arms.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I want a GPS watch but I'm clueless’ is closed to new replies.