• This topic has 54 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cp.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • I Want a Drill
  • andyl
    Free Member

my hammer action cordless is better than my mains with hammer action. I also find cordless drills more controllable as they operate at lower speeds.

The mains drill gets used for wire brushing duties now.

VanMan
    Free Member

And get one with a 13mm keyless chuck.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

Just spoke to a mate reading this thread, he said all i’ll be doing is quick draws…

andyl
    Free Member

yeah +1 for the 13mm keyless chuck.

keyed ones are a PITA and smaller than 13mm will one day bite you in the arse when you need to drill something and the bit/attachment is 13mm.

pjt201
    Free Member

I’ve got an even older version of one of these my dad gave me (orange and white, not black), think it’s about 30 years old and still does the trick. Only has one speed setting now, so have to be careful starting off holes. The only advantage modern ones have is that they are mostly drill/drivers so can put screws in too (used one to build my deck, but as I had to put in about 2000 screws it would have been laborious by hand).

BigGraham
    Free Member

Not only will you only be doing quick draws but you’l also be doing them in front of a mirror before doing the “robot” dance! I’ve more chance of waking up skinny in the morning than you have of going all manly and making thing’s (and its not ‘modern art’ if you just end up with a heap of junk and glue it together)
    😉

see you tomorrow!

5lab

whilst a hammer drill will (eventually) get through masonry, even with a 10mm bit, the speed of them compared to a corded SDS drill is shocking. I reccomend all you doubters to borrow one and have a go – I’ve both an excellent 24v battery drill\driver and a SDS drill and there’s really no comparison. You can also use it with chisel bits

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Remember, it is not the man who chooses the drill, for it is the drill who chooses the man.

bedmaker

Metabo have a 3 year battery warranty as well as being nice tools. Important when you look at the price of replacements, especially Lion ones.
    And it rhymes with Haribo.

Beware some of the screwfix offers,
    Makita drill = good
    1.3AH batteries = very bad

slackman99
    Free Member

Milwaulkee, Festool, Hilti

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Man tools!

Not too much expeience but after wearing out a few doing up a shack – if I had to pick one to do anything “proper” around the house then a corder version – even a cheaper one. Once comfortable / wealthy – a cordless is a nice luxury.

On the other hand for general diy this is a godsend:
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62769/Drill-Bits/Drill-Bit-Sets/Combination-Sets/Combination-Quick-Change-Drill-Bit-Set-22-Pieces

Instant changes from drill bits to screws to hex keys (think removing 6 bolt rotors, quick sand with wire brush, screw back in etc) all with no unscrewing etc.

Gnnr

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Draper-Expert-18v-Cordless-power-tool-kit-BARGAIN-PRICE-/7619340538?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c625e8fa

I got a used set for under £50. Even at this price its a great box of tools. Used mine loads.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where can I get such a thing as this? I need. Will fit any drill?

piha
    Free Member

Slackman is correct – HILTI – end of thread.

cp

1.3AH batteries = very bad

not necesarily! mine are that. I have 3 of them, and each one last quite a long time. but having a couple of spares on top of the one you’re using is good in that you can always cycle them through the charger and just keep going. Using a single or even two higher capacity battery you have to wait a while for it to charge/finish charging before putting the shot one in…

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘I Want a Drill’ is closed to new replies.