Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I wanna build some wheels…
  • CustardCream

I really want to build my own wheels.
    I have "The book" (yes that one) and my wheel jig is nearing completion.

Call me a tart, but I want to build some good looking and light wheels.
    I'm of a certain age and quite easy on components.

The ready built hope sp3 wheels are F673g/R810g, which seems very light.
    The sp6 are even lighter still.

What components can I use to get near this weight? Disc hubs obviously.
    What do 32 DT swiss double butted spokes weigh? Alloy nipples, yay or nay?

Your experiences and advice would be much appreciated. Ta.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn't use alloy nipples myself, and suggest you don't at least for a start as they round off a lot easier.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stan's rims & revolution spokes, avoid alloy nipples though.

Overall wheel weight isn't as important as rim, tyre and spoke weight, so use whatever hubs you fancy.

clubber
    Free Member

You could buy some SP3 or SP6s, take them apart and then rebuild them 🙂

American classic make some decent and light hubs

Alloy nipples are fine but you'll have to accept that in the long term they may be a pain (they can corrode in place and typically you can't build with quite so much tension. If you're not heavy that may not be an issue).

Mister-P
    Free Member

64 X 264mm DT Competiton spokes = 382g

64 x 264mm DT Super Comp spokes = 318g

convert

Just finishing building up a pair with Stans (355) rims and thought they were a lot harder than plenty others I've used in the past. You had to get the tension when tightening up at the end just right or without warning they pringled in a big way with just 1/4 turn too much. I do like to build a very tight wheel though. A also built the rear up with an Alfine hub which was also more of a PITA than I was expecting as you can't spin the wheel in the jig so effortlessly. First pair of wheels I've built and not enjoyed the experience.

Nay to alloy nips.

Enjoy the experience – it's (usually) addictive.

simon1975

64 x 264mm DT Revolutions = 283g (from CRC)

I'd definitely recommend using those, despite some people saying they're too puny. Mine get plenty of abuse and are great.

CustardCream

cynic-al, thats a really good point, thanks.

Alloy nips dont look worth it for my first time then.
    Fancied the Stans rims though, any other experiences of them?

Mister P, does that include the Nipples?

Thanks for all your contributions..

nickc

You had to get the tension when tightening up at the end just right or without warning they pringled in a big way with just 1/4 turn too much.

😯

WTF, how much tension? I've never ever pringled a wheel after just a 1/4 turn too much…

Never built a stans rim though, are they like that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have had olympics and archs, both good, a little tricky to build though as above.

I'd go for 355's for the wider profile.

clubber
    Free Member

Revs are useable generally but not great for a newbie I'd suggest since their tendency to wind up a lot makes them harder (or more tricky) to build with.

They're ok once complete though they're obviously less resilient to sticks/rocks in spokes or chain behind cassette type incidents. I prefer to keep them for road for that reason.

nickc

TBH first time round, get some boggo bits and pieces, deore hub, a mavic rim (nice and round and flat from the factory), and some DT spokes, and get used to building, learn about spoke bedding in without worrying about breaking stuff, learn about true-ing without the worry of effing up an expensive rim, pull it apart and do it as many times as you like, then when you're happy, get some nice expensive stuff, and do it properly

clubber
    Free Member

You can't really damage anything unless you really tighten spokes up silly tight! I usually suggest that people try and worst case if it all goes wrong, just take it to pieces and give it to the shop to do. No one's taken it to the shop yet!

nickc

Yeah, I suppose you're right enough clubber. But seeing what people have said about Stans rims, I'd think twice about them now, and I've built a few wheels.

cookeaa

It might be worth building a “Gash” wheel first; cheap hub/rim and PG spokes just as a getting your eye in exercise, you‘ll find the basic lacing pretty monotonous but relatively quick compared to the slow methodical process of tensioning/truing the wheels up…

I’ve built a few wheels now and all have worked fine, but my early efforts could be considered my “getting my eye in attempts” better to be slow and get it right…

backhander
    Free Member

Custard cream, I'm thinking of selling my (used) stans 355 rims.
    Drop me a mail if you're interested.

andrewh
    Free Member

300g lighter than the Hopes.

Tune Prince/Princess hubs
    Alex XCR Pro Scandium rims
    DT Aerolite spokes (32 per wheel)
    Sub-1200g pair.
    Lovely.

PS. Don't buy Tune hubs from Poshbikes, customer service is auful. Best to get them from the continent, try Starbike. Only slight downside is a Prince hub cost me more than my car 😳

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I wanna build some wheels…’ is closed to new replies.