Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • I think I've decided to sell my only MTB – am I making a huge mistake?!
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

So I’ve been out on my mountain bike about 3 times in the last 6 months and although I quite enjoyed it (being with friends/my hubby, the lovely scenery, the time away from the kids!), I didn’t really love the riding, in fact, I found it, well…. kind of bumpy?! 😯 I don’t know what’s happened as I used to LOVE riding and looked for any opportunity, but since the spring, I just haven’t.

In the Spring I started CrossFit and bought a CX bike and have also recently started running quite a lot, and well, it’s beginning to occur to me that I enjoy (and priortise) all of the above, over mountain biking – something I never would have imagined a year ago.

Anyway, before I bite the bullet and sell my mtb – which is currently just a rather expensive (and large) ornament – I’m just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing and lived to regret it? I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve gone off mountain biking (even though I can’t really work out what’s changed?) but I’m worried it could be a phase, and one day I’ll wake up and think ‘what the hell have I done?!’ 😯

Any thoughts? 🙄

DaveRambo

Difficult decision.

If you’re not going to ride it and you’re getting your fix elsewhere, selling might be a good option. You can always buy another in the future… but you won’t.

Unless you really, really need the money you should keep it. Keep looking at it and at some point you will get out and ride again. Your MTB mojo will return and you will (or may) look back on this decision and thank yourself for keeping it.

jekkyl

you’re asking this on a MTB forum?! Have fun on those running forums, bye 😉 😀

ton

I have just put mine up for sale.
    not been able to ride offroad for 5 years properly.
    got sorted, and thought I would be off like a shot, but I seem to have lost all love for riding offroad. much rather be bumbling about on the touring bike visiting cafe’s and pubs nowadays.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes. Don’t do it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can always buy another…..we’ll let you back in (if you bring biscuits).

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

you’re asking this on a MTB forum?!

Ha, good point! I know the STW crowd to be pretty honest though… either that, or I’m looking to be talked out of it…

but I seem to have lost all love for riding offroad

Exactly Ton – I don’t know how/why it’s happened, but I think that is honestly the truth. I just wish it wasn’t, as I used to love it so much. Guess like DaveRambo says though, I’m just getting my fix elsewhere…

DaveRambo – that’s very wise advice and I suspect you’re right, the thing is I’m quite a black and white person, so like to either be ‘in’ to riding, or not, and without a garage or shed we don’t really have the room for a bike to be just sat around ‘just in case’.

Also, on a serious note, I’m also aware that my bike (being pretty unusual in that it’s very small and hand built by me, so high spec/trail ready and VERY light), could also be bringing someone else a lot of joy… rather than just sitting there making my feel wistful of a simpler time 🙄

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Is your local cross fit cult brainwashing you into selling the mtb and using the money for your new paleo lifestyle? 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Is the mtb you talk of the kinesis you converted to singlespeed not so long ago?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you don’t need the money and have somewhere to keep it, then keep it. We’ve all lost MTB mojo at least once in our lives but it returns for most of us. Sounds like you have a special bike that would be hard/expensive to replace.

If you do sell it make sure you do something fun with the money so it becomes harder to regret. Take your CX bike on a holiday for example.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Over the years I have sold bikes that I have deeply regretted getting rid of… My trials bike and singlespeed bikes are especially missed, despite the fact they weren’t getting used at the time. The money I got for them ended up being used for something uninspiring like bills and lager. They meant much more to me than that when i had them.
    On the flip side, I have a very tricked out downhill bike hanging in the garage that I haven’t ridden since 2009 which bums me out every time I glance at it. It’s now not worth a fraction of what it was back then, so what the hey…
    If you need the money, sell it, if you don’t, don’t.

jambalaya
    Free Member

How are you finding the CX bike ? If you are getting on with that and using it then sell the MTB, shock horror possibly the MTB isn’t for you, or if its all too bumpy perhaps you need a full-suss and/or to run the types a bit softer.

Brown
    Free Member

Nah, don’t sell it.

I’ve had a year or so break from riding, and before it I rode more than anyone I know, something like five days a week at times. Then I got a bit bored of bikes, started climbing again, started running and was utterly disinterested in riding. I think I rode once in about 8 months. The only reason I didn’t sell my bikes was that I’d have got nothing like what they were worth (to me). Eventually some friends went on a riding trip and it suddently sounded like fun again, so off I went and back it all came. Don’t run at all now and barely climb, just ride.

Then again, if I’d sold my bikes, I’d probably have been just as happy and doing different things…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Is your local cross fit cult brainwashing you into selling the mtb and using the money for your new paleo lifestyle?

LOl, how did you know?! 😀

Is the mtb you talk of the kinesis you converted to singlespeed not so long ago?

Indeed it is. Although, since then I have converted it to 1×9 as I didn’t enjoy ss as much I thought/used to, so thought 1×9 might be more fun… turns out, it wasn’t the gearing that was the problem…

Sounds like you have a special bike that would be hard/expensive to replace.

Yep, that’s my only hesitation, but at the same time, it’s a motivation as like I say, I keep thinking someone else could be out there really enjoying it and loving it as much as I did the first few times I rode it…

If you do sell it make sure you do something fun with the money so it becomes harder to regret.

I think this sounds like it could be a good compromise… I think I’m decided and I’m going to sell it… Thanks guys.

peteimpreza

Boot says no!

You will find the love again. Don’t stress about it, ride the CX bike and have fun doing so.

Northwind

MountainMonkey – Member

Also, on a serious note, I’m also aware that my bike (being pretty unusual in that it’s very small and hand built by me, so high spec/trail ready and VERY light), could also be bringing someone else a lot of joy… rather than just sitting there making my feel wistful of a simpler time

Course that might also mean you can’t get a very good price for it. And that sounds a bit mercenary but maybe money is the deciding factor, there’s no sense having thousands of quid lying around doing nothing but if it’s worth X to you and you’ll get X/3 by selling it, and you’ve got space then don’t.

mogrim

Also, on a serious note, I’m also aware that my bike (being pretty unusual in that it’s very small and hand built by me, so high spec/trail ready and VERY light), could also be bringing someone else a lot of joy… rather than just sitting there making my feel wistful of a simpler time

That sounds niche and overpriced (or more charitably: unlikey to sell for what you think it’s worth). So unless you need the money / space, I’ll add another vote for “don’t”.

Although I do sympathise, I’m enjoying running more than MTB these days.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Only you can decide if its the right thing for you to do. If you do sell it and miss it you can always get another so it’s not that big a deal really.

Gotama
    Free Member

Indeed it is. Although, since then I have converted it to 1×9 as I didn’t enjoy ss as much I thought/used to, so thought 1×9 might be more fun… turns out, it wasn’t the gearing that was the problem…

In which case I’d say it boils down to whether you need the money or not. If so then it’s got to go and do something fun as suggested above. If not then I suspect (with no disrespect to the bike intended) its not worth a huge amount and maybe worth more to you taking apart (wheels, frame, fork) and putting it in the loft or something. You may feel like an mtb ride next summer and it won’t take long to throw it back together but you will regret it if you sold it for what, in retrospect, feels like very little.

I did a similar thing when I started training for a half iron man next year. Bought a cx bike and started riding on the road and down less explored (to me) bridleways. Thought it was brilliant and for a while I thought throwing myself down trails was going to become a much lower portion of my riding, perhaps fading out altogether. Six months on and I bloody love it again, albeit now having the road/cx style option for those weekends where I want to do something different. If you like riding I think having a variety of different bikes is great and cx and mtb, to me, is a great balance.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m essentially a stiffback roadie these days – MTB maybe 4-6 times a year instead of every weekend as I used to. I’ve kept my Soul though, and when I do ride the MTB I know why I love it and wish I did it more. As above, good to have a mix of bikes and just follow your nose depending on what you prefer to do on any given day…
    If you have the space, keep it so it’s there when you fancy

jedi

its your leisure time, do what ever makes you smile. we’re not here long enough to waste it 🙂

scotroutes

I have a rather lovely carbon Blur hanging up in the garage that never gets ridden. I’ve considered selling it but I know I’ll not get back What’s paid for it and should I eventually decide I’d like a full-suspension bike again I know I’ll have to spend loads to get something as good. As long as I’m not desperate for the money, why bother?

globalti
    Free Member

I was the world’s most fanatical mountain biker for 24 years, to the extent where my and my brother’s obsession became an annoyance to the family. I even wrote articles, four got published in STW. All through that time I scoffed at roadies, much in the same way as I used to scoff at skiers when I was climbing a lot. Slowly the dream began to fade; the long drives to ride, the night rides with the cold, wet and mud, undressing in the garage and dealing with sopping filthy kit and bike, not to mention the wear and tear on components. I also grew tired of the whole mountain bike scene and the silly bickering in the club with which I used to ride.

Then one day I found a carbon road bike abandoned in the stream near our house…. took it to the Police who gave it back to me a month later. Since then I have gone over 100% to the greater fitness, the clean rides from my front door and the subtlety and tactics of road riding. The mountain bike has been refitted for cross-purpose riding and carried Gti Junior on the C2C this summer.

So sell it and spend the lolly on a crosser or even a roadie and be grateful for the bike handling skills you’ve learned – they will always stand you in good stead. My cycling buddy is faster than me up hill but I can always cream him on fast twisty descents thanks to greater confidence.

tmb467
    Free Member

Currently suffering from a lost mojo but I know I’d get back less than half of what I’ve spent on it

Wrong wheel size, not sufficiently enduro enough and I know I’ll want to ride it in the future.

So I’m not selling and if you don’t need to then don’t! You’ll lose out in the end…both financially and on fun

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

go out on it a few times on different types of rides and see how you feel, if your still in the same frame of mind after that then sell.
    saying that, its prolly not the best time of year to be fully enjoying Mtb’ing, so you may regret it come spring/summer, Hth a bit

tomhoward

Do you need the space?
    Do you need tha cash tied up in it?

If the answer is yes to either than get shot. If not, keep it as you never know when the stars will align and nothing else will do. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

scaredypants

it’s very small and hand built by me

do you mean you built the frame ?
    I’d be keeping that and flogging the bits – partly for sentimental reasons (unless you’re a framebuilder anyway) but also not sure anyone’s going to pay much for a frame built by “any old punter” (again, unless you’re a framebuilder anyway)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you don’t have fun then get rid.

twonks

It is only a bike and if not being used makes sense to sell it.

However it is a hard thing to do, especially if there is blood, sweat and tears associated with the memories.

I’ve bought and sold many things bike related and still deeply regret selling the first ‘real’ mtb frame I really wanted and ended up buying.

I was being black and white at the time as it wasn’t going to get used, was taking space up and had a couple of hundred quid in it as was.

Regret it now though. Not because it is/was a nice frame, but because of what it meant to me 🙁

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

Good food for thought and I agree with those of you who say I may well live to regret it, but I also just can’t help thinking I’m potentially depriving someone else from really enjoying a cracking little bike.

Just to clarify, I didn’t really mean I ‘built’ it, I really just put the bits together, and in fairness, my hubby did most of that (and I assumed a more ‘supervisory’ role. 😉 )

Of all the comments, I think globalti’s stood out the most to me, as I’ve similarly just lost the passion for offroad riding (and all the faff that comes with it). I’ve also found a real enjoyment in running and CrossFit. Both scenes are full of good friends and genuine community right on my doorstep (something that can’t be said of mtbing since we moved). Plus, I’m especially loving not having to drive somewhere to do stuff I love – road riding, running and CF are just so much more efficient and with two young kids, that’s a massive factor too.

So thank you, because this thread has helped me clarify my thinking (which I guess was the point!). I’ve had enough of mtbing (for now), and even though I’m well aware I won’t get half of what I paid for my bike (though I think calling a 100mm hardtail ‘niche & over-price’d is a little harsh/unfounded 😉 ), I’ll have enough to pay for a couple of biking trips should the urge take me to go and hire an Orange Five and fly down a mountain somewhere in Wales. Plus, at the end of the day, if that leads to rediscovering my passion for offroad riding, and thus ultimately to forking out for a new bike, I think I’m actually ok with that… I guess I’m just confident it probably won’t happen for a while and that at least someone will be enjoying my bike in the meantime…

Thanks again!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

P.S. Say hi to Boot for me! One of these days I’ll take his advice! 😀

globalti
    Free Member

If I ever want to ride down a mountain (rather than ski down it) I’ll hire a modern bike, one of those burly things like a motorbike with no engine, and I’ll be sure to enjoy myself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Decide in the summer, or at least when the tails are dry!

But if you aren’t feeling it when the conditions are good, I don’t see the point of hanging onto it.

At least you’re still riding / cross fitting!

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Mtb’s are pretty versatile, with a change of tyres you could use it for sustrans / towpath rides or overnight camping / b&b rides, then if you get the love back you can stick proper tyres back on and ride off road. No need to sell unless you need the space / money desperately IMO.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Mountainmonkey

I absolutely sympathise with you. I too have all but stopped riding off road and this thread has got me thinking. I have been using my cx bike almost exclusively as I can go straight from my house and a CX bike is great for the redways of Milton Keynes. Occasionally I go out on my road bike when the weather’s not too rubbish but I cannot be 4rsed to get my mountain bike out and drive to Woburn to ride about.

Might sell mine now

All the best and happy new year

Ken

teethgrinder

I lost the plot 12 years ago. Sold a Kona hard tail for beer money, after a Coyote FS died. Just didn’t get on with it at all. Took 7 years to get back into it and instantly fell back in love with the mud.

And cheap Chinese lumens mean riding all year round now.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Unless you need the money don’t sell it! I biked for years before losing my mojo and selling up. Got back into it a year ago and have had to spend a fortune sorting out a new bike…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ken,

I hesitate to say, you’re welcome (as I don’t want to talk you into something you’ll regret)!, but the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that selling is the right move.

Not only will someone get a bargain of a bike to enjoy, but as well as having more space, I’m looking forward the simplicity of only having two bikes to choose from – one for the road (as) & one for everything else (CX) & losing that sinking feeling every time I look at my MTB.

Plus, with road/path riding, CrossFit & running, I’m fitter & stronger than I’ve ever been, and the truth it’s I just don’t enjoy offroad riding anymore (as weird & unexpected as that is!) & to me at the mo it certainly isn’t worth the inefficiency, driving, mud & hassle, when I can just run/ride out of the front door or walk literally 1min down the road to the CF box, get a great workout with a great bunch of people & be back home for a coffee an hour later…

Caveat: I’m not suggesting anyone else should sell their MTB! Or that MTBing isn’t awesome fun when you love it! I’m just saying that for me (for now at least) I’ve lost the passion so I’m moving on… And if I’m back in X months/yrs asking for advice on the best women’s bikes, then that’s cool with me – after all, trying out & building new bikes is all part of the fun anyway, isn’t it?! 8)

thecaptain
    Free Member

You won’t get much money for a 2nd hand bike, compared to what it cost (and would cost again if you change your mind). I do get what you are saying about the hassle though, I’m also spending increasing amounts of time running these days but nothing quite matches the fun of a tough climb and sketchy descent on wet rocks like we had on Christmas eve. The only bit I really don’t like is the cold feet, never get that running.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘I think I've decided to sell my only MTB – am I making a huge mistake?!’ is closed to new replies.