• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by daern.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I think I've been scammed :(
  • Seggons
    Free Member

Hey all, I think I’ve been bent over the barrel paying for some goods secondhand and wondered if there was anything legal I can do to get my money back.

I bought some bits from a man from facebook (I know) totalling £346 via bank transfer (I know) and subsequently the seller has disappeared after saying he’ll post me my purchases today.

Now since I willingly sent my money via bank transfer is there anything I can do to get it back, or am I resigned to have lost it?

Thanks in advance

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Lesson learned eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Post today as in today? give him time it’s Monday

jimdubleyou

wondered if there was anything legal I can do to get my money back.

You can sue him in the small claims court, you’ll need his address though.

But, it’s only Monday so maybe wait a while before you go all guns blazing.

dirkpitt74

When you say disappeared do you mean he isn’t answering messages or his account has gone?

Stevet1
    Free Member

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Have you been shopping at Dave Hinde?????

ste_t
    Free Member

Sorry but (you know) probably shouldn’t have sent money by bank transfer to somebody you don’t know considering it’s probably the method that you have least chance of claiming back

bennyball
    Free Member

Call yours & his bank ASAP

coomber
    Free Member

Small claims. Easy enough to do. But Google and get as much info about the person as possible whilst you can I would suggest

coomber
    Free Member

Print the communications trail and search on forums for same person etc

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

You might be able to claim the money back via something called ‘chargeback’.
    But, it depends on the kind of bank account that you used.

If you google ‘chargeback’, you’ll get a better explanation, or look it up on the money saving expert…

richardthird

Kyle Coles? Yep, scam I’m afraid.

damascus
    Free Member

I have a £50 rule. Less than £50 pp gift. More than £50 pp fees.

I can live with loosing £50 if I had to. I reckon I’ve made more than £50 over the years in saved fees.

njee20
    Free Member

You might be able to claim the money back via something called ‘chargeback’.
    But, it depends on the kind of bank account that you used.

You can’t chargeback a bank transfer, they’re for card transactions.

Contact your bank. You’re probably screwed.

joebristol

If you’ve sent money via online banking it’s likely to be an irrevocable faster payment that has credited the other person almost immediately.

Unless you know someone really well always use Paypal for the protection.

Unless you can convince the bank it’s a fraud than I doubt you’ll get the money back. As you willingly entered the details of where you’re sending the money to etc I don’t think you’ll have much luck.

As per the other comments I think you’re best chasing the guy and trying to track him down.

rickmeister

From experience a small claims court win doesn’t actually give you your money back. Its a legal judgement against someone that they should pay, but the hard work starts to actually recover the cash.

coomber
    Free Member

Maybe so but it’ll only cost time so no loss in trying.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Ah yes, time, that thing that we all have too much of and will never run out…
    Sorry, feeling a bit grumpy this morning.

martinhutch

Maybe so but it’ll only cost time so no loss in trying.

Thought it cost fifty quid?

coomber
    Free Member

Dont you get it back as part of the claim?

Personally if it happened to me I wouldn’t let it drop. Even if you never get the funds back the repercussions will last a long time for the perpetrator

deviant
    Free Member

How do you find the house number of someone who’s scammed you?
    Got a similar thing to the OP and have got his name and postcode including street name and town but seem to be stuck getting the actual house number?
    I’m going to go down the £35 money recovery online route.

aracer
    Free Member

Electoral records?

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I’d be calling my bank, asking them for advice.

deviant
    Free Member

aracer….yep cheers, just did that.

I text him his own name and address and said I was going to court over it….and surprisingly he’s now back in touch and trying to remedy the situation!
    Excellent.

Also found out where he works etc…the internet is a wonderful thing.
    If you’re going to scam people don’t plaster your details all over Facebook…idiot.

coomber
    Free Member

I’d also contact your bank. Given he went awol once already

IHN

Contact your bank and they’ll tell you. You’re probably screwed.

Your bank sent the money you requested them to send to the place you asked them to send it to. It’s like putting some money in the post and asking Royal Mail to see if they can get it back from the person they delivered it to.

daern
    Free Member

I text him his own name and address and said I was going to court over it….and surprisingly he’s now back in touch and trying to remedy the situation!
    Excellent.

Also found out where he works etc…the internet is a wonderful thing.
    If you’re going to scam people don’t plaster your details all over Facebook…idiot.
    Well done sir! Keep us posted 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I think I've been scammed :(’ is closed to new replies.