Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I think a lot of STWers need to have a read of this..
  • dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I hate the term ‘troll’. It does my wig, and it seems like everyone on here is literally bursting at the seams to out someone as being a troll.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/12/what-is-an-internet-troll

wwaswas

is this a troll?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences, what’s your point?

Folk do come on here just to wind others up/argue, FACT.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Source?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tl;DR

If its talking about trolling where user bully and harrass other people online, then thats not trolling imo, thats bullying or harrassment, plain and simple.

Trolling is where people start arguments or play devils adovacate just for shits and giggles, totally different from dolling out abuse.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CFH, peer-reviewed, right here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com

rOcKeTdOg

That’s your actual ironing right there 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Those 29ers, eh… 🙄

wwaswas

If its talking about trolling where user bully and harrass other people online, then thats not trolling imo, thats bullying or harrassment, plain and simple.

Trolling is where people start arguments or play devils adovacate just for shits and giggles, totally different from dolling out abuse.

a very good precis of the article, as it turns out.

alex222
    Free Member
    loum
    Free Member

edit : beaten to it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Source?

I think he’s refering to his own personal reasons, but talking in the 3rd person.

cookeaa

There periodically seems to be a fuss made in the media about ‘Trolls’ on facebook, twitter or elsewhere but I’m still not that much clearer on the proper definition…

From one quater they apparently deliberately torment vulnerable people via the web and manage to trigger self-harming and suicides, or post nasty comments about dead people…

On the other hand they apparently make quite deliberately inflamatory/controversial/stupid comments to trigger heated but ultimately quite pointless/harmless arguments/slanging matches with strangers on a variety of topics on a forum full of fat IT managers with a passing interest in bicycles an little understanding of sarcasm…

Seems the term is applied liberally to all sorts of interweb behaviour…

Part of me wonders if any of it really matters though, I mean the human race is a mixed bag, the internet (being made up mostly by members of the Human race) is going to reflect that, not everyone who owns a computer is going to be a well adjusted, sympathetic, kind individual… if you can’t differentiate between real life and a computer screen then it’s probably best not to own or operate a computer…

wwaswas

made up mostly by members of the Human race

There’s aliens living among us?

Junkyard
    Free Member

trolling on here means stating opinions to garner a reaction
    Due the wonderful work of the mods we dont get real trolling on here thankfully

oliverd1981
    Free Member

if you can’t differentiate between real life and a computer screen then it’s probably best not to own or operate a computer… [b]A real life[/b]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I think a lot of STWers need to have a read of this..’ is closed to new replies.