Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • I that correct (sorry english grammar question again)
  • juan
    Free Member

I also had to make sure my co-workers' needs in terms of informatic tools (software, compliers and libraries) were dealt with as fast and accurately as possible.

As per title, as I know plenty of people here are working in recruitment;

Cheers

Torminalis
    Free Member

That i.

juan
    Free Member

??? What do you mean???

IHN

I also had to ensure that my co-workers' requirements for informatic tools, including software, compilers and libraries, were dealt with as fast and as accurately as possible.

scotia
    Free Member

il rigole..c'est parce que tu as mis "i" au lieu de "is" dans l'objet..

il veut dire "That is"*

*je pense!

Edit: et je suis d'accord avec IHN ^

duntmatter
    Free Member

It doesn't answer the question you asked, but I find my French friends all say 'that' when they should say 'this', and vice versa. My advice to them on the point is that they should contradict their instinct.

So, your question would ideally be "Is this correct?"

On the question you asked, I'd say this is better: "I also had to make sure my co-workers' needs in terms of informatic tools (software, compliers and libraries) were dealt with as fast and as accurately as possible."

IHN

duntmatter – nearly

"I also had to make sure that my co-workers' needs in terms of informatic tools (software, compliers and libraries) were dealt with as fast and as accurately as possible."

But my answer's still better 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Merci IHN and scotia 😉
    Very much appreciated

juan
    Free Member

LOL
    I like IHN answer, ctrl-c ctrl-v straight away 😀
    duntmatter thanks for the tips. I think I need to spend more time speaking english

Cougar

To be honest, you win so many points for getting the apostrophe in the right place after co-workers that I don't care whether the rest of the sentence is correct or not. (-:

+1 to IHN's version, though.

clubber
    Free Member

I also had to ensure that my colleagues' requirements for informatic tools (software, compliers and libraries) were dealt with as fast and accurately as possible.

That's assuming "informatic tools" is a technical term that I don't know because I suspect that you really mean software or IT applications or similar.

And 'compliers' – is that 'compilers'?

or just

I also had to ensure that my colleagues' requirements for software, compliers and libraries were dealt with as fast and accurately as possible.

Cougar

Ooh, well spotted.

juan
    Free Member

Cougar, you will find that most foreigners won't make usual mistakes such as apostrophes or the typical there, their, they're 😉

Cougar

Thinking about it, is it just me or does "dealt with as fast … as possible" clunk slightly?

"… were dealt with promptly and accurately" is better, no?

Cougar

you will find that most foreigners won't make usual mistakes such as apostrophes or the typical there, their, they're

Agreed, it's the natives that are largely utterly incapable of getting it right. (-:

clubber
    Free Member

Thats' because those damn foreigners are over here with there air's and grace's and throwing about there foreign charm's, etc…

juan
    Free Member

and throwing about there foreign charm's, etc…

Funny you say that, I don't remember I have met your wife 😉

EDIT: You probably mean That's 😉

clubber
    Free Member

It's ok – since I'm a damn froggy foreigner too she'd be immune from you 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I that correct

No, it not.

IHN

clubber – nearly

I also had to ensure that my colleagues' requirements for informatic tools (software, compliers and libraries) were dealt with as fast and as accurately as possible.

Ooh, well spotted.

I think you'll find that I spotted that 🙂

juan
    Free Member

rofl at clubber 😉

IHN

"… were dealt with promptly and accurately" is better, no?

Yeah, probably.

clubber
    Free Member

ditto

juan
    Free Member

Ok here is the whole letter.

if there is something that makes your teeth grind let me know.

Dear Sir, Madam,}
    \vspace{1cm}

I have seen on the APEC website that you are offering a position in system administration.\\

During my masters, PhD and last year’s post-doctoral position, I have developped a broad range of computationnal skills. My background went from chemistry to computational chemistry, code development and system administration, and I have gained considerable experience in several programming languages and system administration.\\

Furthermore, during my PhD at the university of Southampton, I was in charge of the system administration for my research group. As such I had to update and maintain several workstations and a beowulf cluster. I had to ensure that my co-workers' requirements for informatic tools, including software, compilers and libraries, were dealt with as promptly and as accurately as possible. I also managed my research project, the teaching labs and my system administration tasks in an autonomous manner. My research project was to implement a specific algorithm in an existing software.\\

Furthermore, I feel I would be an asset to your company and I am eager to work hard to make the most of the position you are offering. Feel free to let me know if you need further details, I will get back to you at my earliest.\\

Yours sincerely,

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as quickly, not as fast!

Cougar

A spellchecker would be a start… (-:

juan
    Free Member

A spellchecker would be a start… (-:

I did use aspell…

EDIT: FF spell-checker complicts with aspell: developed and computational.
    EDIT bis: actually no, it does not conflict, it's just that using aspell via cyg-win doesn't correct the texte file in windows…

DezB
    Free Member

were dealt with as promptly and as accurately as possible

As said "…were dealt with promptly and accurately." or "…were dealt with as quickly and as accurately as possible."

in an existing software.
    Not commonly used in the singular… could be "..in an existing software application." ?

IHN

I have seen from the APEC website that you are offering a position in system administration.\\

During my Masters, PhD and last year’s post-doctoral position I have developed a broad range of IT skills. My initial experience was within computational chemistry and has since extended into code development and system administration. I have gained considerable experience in several programming languages including java, C++, APL, whatever……..\\

Furthermore, during my PhD at the university of Southampton I was in charge of the system administration for my research group. As such I had to update and maintain several workstations and a Beowulf cluster. I had to ensure that my co-workers' requirements for informatic tools, including software, compilers and libraries, were dealt with as promptly and as accurately as possible. I also managed my research project, the teaching labs and my system administration tasks in an autonomous manner. My research project was to implement a specific algorithm in an existing software.\\

I feel that I would be an asset to your company and I am eager to work hard to make the most of the position you are offering.

Yours faithfully,

Tiger6791

I would say it's pretty good but could be written better. Needs somebody with better english skills than me. Some of it seems just a touch odd, okay, but odd.

ie "

I was in charge of the system administration

"

the "the" seems odd.

Somebody with a pendant brain will be along soon…..

IHN

I'm going home now, I'll check back later 🙂

Juan – if you want to mail me anything to proof read, feel free

hels
    Free Member

And double use of "furthermore" an English word not in common parlance since Jane Austen died.

juan
    Free Member

IHN thanks, however from a previous thread it seems that the knowledge of language such as F77 and Perl is not to be mentioned.

clubber
    Free Member

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ref: System Administration role advertised on the APEC website

I have a broad range of computational skills that have been developed during my Masters, PhD and Post-Doctorate degrees. I have a background in chemistry, computational chemistry, code development and system administration and have gained considerable experience in several programming languages and system administration.

In the course of my PhD at the University of Southampton, I was responsible for system administration for my research group, updating and maintaining several workstations and a Beowulf cluster. I ensured that my colleagues' software, compiler and library requirements were dealt with promptly and accurately. I also managed my research project, the teaching labs and my system administration tasks. My research project was to implement a specific algorithm in an existing software.

I believe that I would be an asset to your company and am keen to make the most of the position you are offering. Please let me know if you need any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully,

Cougar

At no point do you say why you're writing – you say you've seen the position and cite your history, but don't connect the two.

"Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you is response to the System Administration(*) position currently advertised on APEC website, which I believe is an excellent match for my skills and experience."

(* – Capital letters for the job title.)

You also use "system administration" several times in the first few sentences, it starts to look a bit odd after a while.

Tiger6791

Jane Austen died.

Jane Austin is dead! Why was this not in the news?

Cougar

… or, what Clubber just said. (-:

juan
    Free Member

Ok thanks everyone I very much appreciate this 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Don't forget to put "hon-he-hon" at the end – that helps signify you as a froggy which will give you the edge when seducing the HR person (who will undoubtedly be female) who'll be doing the initial vetting of cover letters/CV

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Furthermore twice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘I that correct (sorry english grammar question again)’ is closed to new replies.