Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I stopped running 2 months ago
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

after hitting an extended fitness/weight loss plateau during 2nd half of 2011, and suffering with a mild heel/tendon injury for too long, I took an extending break from running after completing 10 months of training and 3 half marathons.

I think the HM’s took thier toll on my confidence though, as although I completed them all, the last few miles were really tough, and on a hilly course (Windsor) I could barely mustre a jog.

Cue a 2 month break (originally intended one month), and cue 1 stone weight gain.

So hit the road again last night, and I feel like ive lost 80% strength (despite continued cycling) and all the enjoyment. It was a sheer slog fest, battling against every fibre willing me to stop.

Someone please tell me it will become awesome again, and soon. For motivation I signed up for another HM yesterday.. only 8 weeks to go.

Jamie
    Free Member

It will become awesome again. I am going to be coming back after a 2 week layoff, due to illness, so will have the amusing vanishing fitness thing to look forward to as well.

Maybe start with a 10k, rather than a HM though?

you changed your comment!

No I didn’t 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

I was waiting for that comment, what makes it all the more brilliant is that Jamie is my name. so its like im telling myself. kinda.

10k would be much wiser, granted. Im committed to charity now though, plus its at Silverstone so should be interesting, depsite the pain.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s fate.

slimjim78
    Free Member

you changed your comment! – dont worry, its our secret

slimjim78
    Free Member

It feels like such a cruel twist that so much hard work can be undone with just a 2 week lay-off, let alone 2 months..

Pyro

I trained hard all of last year for an Ultra in August. Finished that, had a layoff for a while…

Now in the same boat as you on two counts, lost the running fitness in a few months and lost the biking fitness since I started running… Ho hum… 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

its like you are always chasing fitness, and you are never as fit as you want to be, then when you lose what you had, you would kill to be where you were.

WTF!

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s shite, but just start back slow and run somewhere interesting. I do all mine off road, as it’s more stimulating than just pounding the pavements.

soobalias
    Free Member

meh, i ran yesterday having not done a lot since before christmas, it hurted lots.

HM at the end of march – yikes.

It will be awesome again.

highclimber
    Free Member

it’s amazing how quickly you lose the stamina and strength but it’s equally as amazing how quick it comes back! stick with it it will get easier!

spacemonkey

IME running and cycling only ‘support’ one another’s fitness/development to a degree. I’ve always felt the need to continue doing both if I want to ‘feel good/fit’ at both.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Between Feb & Sept last year I did a little bit of running, 2.5k miles on the bike, and a regular home press-up/pull-up routine.

Then I got flu & injured my back, therefore I’d not done any exercise since the end of September … until Monday!

Did the 11.5 mile commute to work … couldn’t believe how unfit I am 😯

In this situation you’ve just got to go through the annoying ‘getting fit again’ period … and the amesomeness will return eventually!

slimjim78
    Free Member

agreed, cycling and running both compliment each other, but one doesnt drasctically improve the other.
    Helps to keep things interesting though by mixing it up.

As for running off road, I do quite enjoy that, but im a slow plodder at best so need to keep it simple, I hate having to stop mid-run!

Pyro

Yup, I’d agree with that, spacemonkey. I dropped the riding since it was my first Ultra and needed testing with some respect. Going back there this year but aiming to mix the summer up a bit more since I’ve gor a better base to work off. Both will come back, gradually, I’m sure.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I think back to when I started running (NYE 2010) and how only 2 weeks in I was buzzing high as a kite, feeling much fitter 4 or 5 weeks in..

ive just got to slog it out again.. the awesome is there waiting for me!

I think im a twit for signing up for this half marathon though. Although, I signed my sister up at the same time without her knowing, she got a shock when I told her last night.

maxray
    Free Member

I took up running in Dec, first attempt was so hard and about 3k but managed 10k* just after New Year and doing the usual 5k has become quite enjoyable. Never EVER thought I would say that!

* Not at an Olympic speed 🙂 69mins for the 10k but I am happy for a first ever 10k and gives me a target of going sub 1hr

Taff
    Free Member

I had a massive gap last year thanks to shin splints. Start small and work your way up. Cycling does bugger all to help running although I feel it does help the other way around. You will improve no doubt anout it but it just takes time to strengthen everything again.

surfer
    Free Member

Someone please tell me it will become awesome again, and soon. For motivation I signed up for another HM yesterday.. only 8 weeks to go.

Your awesomeness will be along shortly. If you have trained well for months then have a couple of weeks off after a few runs you will soon be back to where you where, keep the faith.

surfer
    Free Member

Cycling does bugger all to help running although I feel it does help the other way around

They do both contribute a little but training needs to be specific. If you want to run fast you have to run fast in training, ditto riding.

slimjim78
    Free Member

doing the usual 5k has become quite enjoyable. Never EVER thought I would say that!

I totally sympathise with that, I was exactly there this time last year.
    I had never run a mile in my life back then (despite playing lots of rugby – never managed extended runs). Suddenly youre running regular 10k’s and annoyed that you didnt chip off at least another minute.

Its astonishing how quickly the body adapts. The only good thing this time out is not having to stop during the runs. Not sure if its base fitness or just belief this time round though.

Is it worth the pain? Having to keep running two or three times a week, purely just to be able to run two or three times a week?
    For me, yes. The self belief and positivity it gives you is life changing.
    Ive been feeling down for weeks and only started to realise it was because I wasnt running and pushing myself.

djglover
    Free Member

I lost loads of running fitness when I focused on the bike last autumn. It took about 6 weeks to get back to form

maxray
    Free Member

The self belief and positivity it gives you is life changing.
    Ive been feeling down for weeks and only started to realise it was because I wasnt running and pushing myself.

How quickly you transition to getting tetchy and feeling a bit like a coiled spring if you haven’t been out for a blast. Running is filling in for biking at the mo as a 3 week old baby just isnt giving me the time to get out in the hills.

stever
    Free Member

I reckon you might be surprised. Get through the first 2 or 3 rubbish runs and watch the first rays of fitness sunrise on the horizon…

slimjim78
    Free Member

I reckon you might be surprised. Get through the first 2 or 3 rubbish runs and watch the first rays of fitness sunrise on the horizon…

Thats poetic. I have hope again.

purser_mark
    Free Member

Don’t fret, the first week will be a slog but you will soon find your legs again.

It’s never as hard getting fit the second time around, just try and remember where you came from and how tough it was in the very begining.

robidoo
    Free Member

I was in a similar place as OP, I stopped running a couple of years ago after some bad knee pain, put on loads of weight while still riding lots.
    Then last september I said that was it I am going out running.

Started doing 3 miles three times a week 90% off road(hate running on pavements).
    The pain soon came back, so started using ice packs on me knees afterwards.
    I now run 4 times a week on average 8-9 miles per run but I have found a really good run of 12 miles that I do once a week that is 95% off road from my door that goes throug a dissused railway tunnel that is 600m long hardly see a soul while out too.

I have only ridden me bike twice since the new year as I am loving the running atm.(will be back on the bike after winter for sure.)

Oh I have lost 15lbs so far will be happy with another stone gone.

Get out there take it steady and it will come back to you.

slimjim78
    Free Member

i lost 5.5 stone in last 18 months, but then put back on just over a stone in last 2 months..
    still, 2lb lost in last week and heading in the right direction again. Im still much fitter than I was way back when I was a fatty boom boom, but have my wedding this July so really want to be at my peak by then

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I stopped running 2 months ago’ is closed to new replies.