Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • I should have known better…(Warning: gazumped on Classifieds AFTER paying)
  • GavinB

Well, I guess that'll teach me for not checking someone's profile for a little more 'history' before getting involved.

Chatted back and forth about a bike trailer via email, phoned last night, agreed a price (she was wanting £600, I offered £560 plus £65 for courier and packing). Paid straight away via Paypal, then get an email this morning to say that someone else, responding to an ad placed somewhere else, had offered £700 and that she was really sorry, but unless I paid £700 or more she was going to sell it to the other party!

WTF! I've paid for it! Or should I not be annoyed by this?

the-muffin-man

Or should I not be annoyed by this?

I'd be **** livid!! Then I'd probably calm down a bit.

We're not talking about a tenner more than you offered – £140 is a lot of money for anyone to pass up and I think most sellers would at least consider taking it.

nickjb
    Free Member

It is enough money to make seller think but still worthy of a 'name and shame'

druidh
    Free Member

that'll teach me for not checking someone's profile for a little more 'history' before getting involved.

* nods *

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chariot-carriers-inc-cx2-bike-trailer-for-sale

brakes
    Free Member

unless I paid £700 or more

oldest trick in the book, she probably hasn't had another offer
    make some crap up about a binding verbal contract and that she's obliged to honour the deal or something

cynic-al
    Free Member

Name, shame and flame.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

For starters, wtf are you thinking of paying £600odd for a bike trailer.

You buy a trailer from halfords for £200 or so and have change to buy a Speccy hardrock or whatever.

Madness!

But yes I would be absolutely peaving up the walls for a minute or two.

NAME & SHAME please.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Errr, you've already paid for it so it's yours isn't it?

GavinB

I can understand not passing up the extra dosh, just. I still think it's pretty poor form when you've already taken the money and agreed courier/packing details to then find out the next day that it's going to be sold to someone else unless I cough up the extra dosh.

Yeah, I guess, move on!

spw3

Still, its pretty poor behaviour.

Name & shame indeed!

peteimpreza

Have you got your money back?

GavinB

Nods back at druidh.

Yup, should have checked for a little more history.

edit:

Yup, money was sent back this evening. Spent the best part of the day seething about it, then got the money refunded.

psling
    Free Member

As I understand it, technically you have a contract. The goods were offered for sale, you made an offer that was accepted and payment was made completing the contract. They are obliged to supply the goods. What you can actually do about it is probably bugger all though without a lot of time, trouble, and money to enforce the contract 😕

Hope you get your money back pretty quickly.–oops, see you have; there are plenty more trailers in the sea ~ hopefully 8)

Andy

Worth posting a comment on the forsale thread in case the seller attempts to sell again using that ID.

GavinB

Pretty much exactly what I though psling.

There is an invoice for the goods, sent via Paypal, which I paid immediately. So, at that point the goods are mine (aren't they?), however still in her possession. The tricky bit is that she's at the other end of the country, and it's not like I'm covered under distance selling regs, as she's not an internet retailer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Small claims court for your loss – if you can be arsed and your loss is the difference between the price you agreed and the price at which you can buy another secondhand one at. Not much probably

Forget it lifes too short – just make sure that post has s suitable comment does if she ever tries to sell on here anyone who looks will know she is not to be trusted

takisawa2

Pretty crap thing to do all the same.
    Should be a time/no of posts limit to stop these free-ads jockeys.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Many's the time I've seen something on the classifieds I wanted but then given it a miss 'cause the poster had no history (as was the case here) or had only ever posted ads.

househusband

Might be worth posting a link to this thread on the original thread in the classifieds, to raise awareness should this person try selling again – just to 'raise awareness', like…

MrSparkle

Bang out of order. I'd be **** seething too.

spw3

OK so I know I am going to get howled down but…how do you check on someone's history on S'track?

Not a troll, I just have no idea.

druidh
    Free Member

Click on the word "Member" beside their name on a post

z1ppy

see that "member" by your name (or mine), click on that and it give you posting history. Though admittedly the seller in this case has no posting history.

too slow 😳

cp

click on the word member next to folks usernames in their posts…….

spw3

Wow – its like taking the red pill!

GavinB

I almost groaned when I belatedly clicked on the profile information, as I usually do a quick check if I haven't recognised the user. I always feel better buying off someone who has a fair bit of history (and that really needs to be on much more than just the classifieds).

Woody
    Free Member

Only problem I've had on here was with someone with only a short selling history. Luckily I got the money back through Paypal.

Maybe it's time to do what they were forced to do on a watch forum I frequent. Minimum 50 posts on the forums before you are allowed to sell OR buy in the classifieds.

z1ppy

and have ppl posting rubbish 50 odds times, just to post in the classified, oh… you wouldn't notice would you.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Gavin – as others have already said, go to Halfords and buy a cheap one. I've had mine about two years, it's been brilliant, and as I recall, I only paid about a hundred quid for it. The kids grow out of them pretty quickly anyway, there really is no point in spending a fortune on one.

aracer
    Free Member

Blimey if that's what CX2s sell for, I'm pretty optimistic about what I can get for our Cougar 1 when it comes time to get rid 😀

Drac

People joining just to sell stuff should be banned.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Couldnt agree more Drac.

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

Drac(onian)

Drac

Final straw for me was the cheeky git joined to advertise about £4k of vehicle. No previous posts just this vehicle. Total piss take.

BigJohn

She sold your trailer at a profit and pocketed £140. That's your money.

GavinB

@barnsleymitch
    It is a lot of money, and I have used the sort of trailer you are talking about. The problem is that we live up a rather rocky, pot-holed lane and so getting something really well-made with suspension was what steered us towards the Chariot trailers.

Anyway, back to square one now.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

The classifieds here are crap.

Go to AV Forums to see proper classifieds in action.

Are there any mods that overlook it, or anything else on here?

I never see them doing anything..

MS
    Free Member

A bit of a bummer! From a buyer point of view, would be annoyed as you had already sent payment. From a seller though, £140 is a bit of money so can see her point…even if its wrong.

No point doing small claims stuff its just pointless. Surely she can just say the item is now unavaliable! Just like you can do on ebay…

Just move on and hopefully find another one! But as you say I tend to be wary if the person doesn't have posting history. Least in this case you have not lost out on the money side!

uplink
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

………..

We're not talking about a tenner more than you offered – £140 is a lot of money for anyone to pass up and I think most sellers would at least consider taking it.

I certainly wouldn't, a deal is a deal
    & I would hope most regulars here would be the same

As for folks just using this place for the classifieds, I guess it generates page hits & so advertising revenue so they've been left to get on with it

nbt

namastebuzz – Member

Are there any mods that overlook it, or anything else on here?

I never see them doing anything..

The greatest trick the moderator devil ever pulled was making the forum world believe he didn't exist…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I should have known better…(Warning: gazumped on Classifieds AFTER paying)’ is closed to new replies.