Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d rather some people abuse the system, but we made sure those that really need it are cared for

See? Simple, really.

nonk
    Free Member

stuck somewhere in North Wales

oi take that back 😀

toby1

There have got to be as many examples of truly deserving people on benefits as there are those that abuse it (probably more). Yes it needs to be reviewed and managed better but to publish propaganda to incite public outrage and to demand cuts is irresponsible … not that I read the article, or claim benefits for that matter.

madhouse

Is it not possible or reasonable to ask for a few hours graft in return for benefits?

There’s an army of unemployed people in this country, the vast majority of whom do not spend every hour of every day actively seeking work. If each of them did a couple of hours volunteer work a week then surely we could do some good with that resource and make our little island a nicer place to live?

I’m not talking chain gangs or anything too extreme but look how much councils pay to pick up litter each year, that money reinvested in retraining welsh educational software programmers to get them back to work must be a good thing.

* sorry that should be wales based, I’ve no idea if the bloke is actually welsh

vinnyeh

I’d rather some people abuse the system, but we made sure those that really need it are cared for
    See? Simple, really.

Yes, simples. No-one’s ever struggled with implementing that, have they 🙄

elzorillo
    Free Member

The fact is, I’d rather some people abuse the system, but we made sure those that really need it are cared for – than have a very strict system which means that some of the poorest/most vulnerable people don’t get what they need.

Same here.. but there are so many people abusing the system that the system itself is verging on insanity, as such, putting the people who need it most at risk of losing it altogether.

Whilst the most needy most definitely need protecting, the parasites need weeding out, not shielding by the so called do-gooders, who are in fact putting the whole welfare state at risk by their singleminded need to help.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s the very problem, Vinney, it is indeed a struggle. It should, however, still be the ultimate aim of the welfare state. The welfare state shouldn’t, as others have said, be paying for booze, fags ‘n Sky TV packages on widescreen TVs.

philconsequence
    Free Member

unfortunately its kinda predictable that the parasites quickly become the needy if benefits are taken away 🙁

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Mind you, if I lived in North Wales, I’d drink a lot more than that.
    😀

crispedwheel
    Free Member

wisepranker – Member
    There’s plenty of people with bipolar and anxiety realated illnesses who still manage to work and hold down jobs.

Agreed. There’s also, by your own words, then plenty of people with biopolar illnesses who don’t, or can’t hold down jobs. Maybe the wife falls into this catagory. I don’t know. Do you?

wisepranker – Member
    Most probably plays up to it to make sure she’s kept signed off on the sick.

Ah right, you do know in this case. My apologies.

Sandwich

Is it not possible or reasonable to ask for a few hours graft in return for benefits?

That’s a good idea! That way all the un-skilled labour in work can go on benefits too. No employer is going to pay minimum wage for unskilled labour when they can get it for free down job centre plus.

s
    Free Member

With the full time job I do at the moment, I am one of those that would be quite a bit better off, if I gave up work and claimed.

But I have a masterplan & it involves working for a living 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe the wife falls into this catagory. I don’t know. Do you?

So why make an issue of it?

That’s a good idea! That way all the un-skilled labour in work can go on benefits too. No employer is going to pay minimum wage for unskilled labour when they can get it for free down job centre plus.

Indeed, but there’s a difference between giving Tesco’s free shelf stackers and; litter picking, maintaining footpaths, working in a charity shop, taking old ladies shopping, manning the welcom desk in a hospital, working in the national trust, coaching kids football, all of which are done by vaulenteers.

There must be 1000’s of un-econimicaly viable, but still worthwhile projects that could be done like this.

Cougar

No employer is going to pay minimum wage for unskilled labour when they can get it for free down job centre plus.

And that’s exactly why the judicial service never implemented community service.

Oh.

vinnyeh

Indeed, but there’s a difference between giving Tesco’s free shelf stackers and; litter picking, maintaining footpaths, working in a charity shop, taking old ladies shopping, manning the welcom desk in a hospital, working in the national trust, coaching kids football, all of which are done by vaulenteers.

There must be 1000’s of un-econimicaly viable, but still worthwhile projects that could be done like this.

Indeed. He could be out there trail clearing at Llandegla, or manning the donation box at Penmachno.
    🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

That’s a good idea! That way all the un-skilled labour in work can go on benefits too.

..and be better off. And with less expenses, the companies pay more taxes which pays for the benefits. win-win.
    plus, that brings my plan for all the poor people to work as rickshaw pullers, which cuts down on fuel emissions and by lowering the demand for petrol reduces it’s price. So I can drive on nice quiet roads. win-win
    and if any of them die in rickshaw related accidenats, we could feed them to the dogs, and feed the surplus dog food to the rickshaw pullers.
    also, because the amount of benefit paid increases with number of children, we could burn some of the excess kiddies to keep the factories going.

Wozza
    Free Member

This +1

Cougar

Sarcasm aside, I’ve wondered the same thing (community service for benefits) myself.

Sure, there’s logistical hurdles, but you’ve got a situation at the moment where people are worse off if they go to work (or at least, believe they are). Get paid to sit on your arse all day, or do a day’s graft for less money? Let me think.

I’m not saying everyone on benefits is a lazy scrounger (most of us will have been out of work at some point, no doubt), but it’d perhaps remove one obstacle if people were working irrespective of whether they were on benefits or a salary?

Walking round town, there’s plenty of jobs that could be done that, currently, there’s neither the funding nor inclination to do. Reversing the urban decay; painting over graffiti, picking up litter, sweeping broken glass from outside pubs, planting flowers at the roadside. Maybe if more people took a pride in their environment (or at least, had to clean it up again afterwards) then they might be a bit less inclined to crap on their own doorstep in the first place.

I’m sure that someone’s going to be along to point out why this is a stupid idea, and TBH I welcome it if they do, cos I’m damned if I can see it.

nonk
    Free Member

manning the donation box at penmachno needs doing it’s been cut in half with a still saw before now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

but you’ve got a situation at the moment where people are worse off if they go to work.

this is simply not true at the momnet except in very rare occasioanl cases. the long taper on tax credits makes it so

br
    Free Member

and if they’d have just said weekly grocery shopping costs £240 for 8 people, few would have said anything…

but will be better for us English once the regions’ become independent 🙂

vinnyeh

bit of a hoary old chestnut the work-for-benefits thing though isn’t it?
    Every government promises to sort something out, then it gets quietly brushed under the carpet. I guess some things aren’t as simple as they look on the surface.

Cougar

this is simply not true at the momnet

Sorry TJ, I went back and edited this whilst you were replying because it isn’t quite what I meant.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

However of course it would make sense to pay people to do work not to sit on the dole. wouldn’t suit the tory agenda tho

Some of you really need a reality check – our benefit levels are miserable – some of the lowest in Europe where 80% of wage for a year for unemployment benefit is the norm instead of the £57 a week we get here.

No luxuries at all allowed if you are unemployed – bare basics for survival only despite the fact we do not have work for millions of people

mogrim

Walking round town, there’s plenty of jobs that could be done that, currently, there’s neither the funding nor inclination to do

Unfortunately they cost money to run – if there’s no checking up on the work done, a certain percentage of your workforce is going to skive off. Which leaves you back where you started…

What I find hard to believe is that a computer programmer could be out of work for 10 years: a miner or shipworker, I could understand, but a programmer???

vinnyeh

Some of you really need a reality check – our benefit levels are miserable – some of the lowest in Europe where 80% of wage for a year for unemployment benefit is the norm instead of the £57 a week we get here.

Sources please TJ.

mogrim

Not all Europe, in Spain it’s not 80%. And when it runs out, that’s it. No housing benefit, no food tokens, nothing.

grum
    Free Member

Whilst the most needy most definitely need protecting, the parasites need weeding out, not shielding by the so called do-gooders, who are in fact putting the whole welfare state at risk by their singleminded need to help.

What if the cost of ‘weeding them out’ is greater than just paying them benefits? Pretty sure it’s been shown not to be cost effective to go after them – unlike going after tax cheats for instance, which this government (and the tabloid press) isn’t so keen on for some reason.

I’m sure that someone’s going to be along to point out why this is a stupid idea, and TBH I welcome it if they do, cos I’m damned if I can see it.

Presumably because of the cost of training/supporting/administering such a system with a load of highly unmotivated, unskilled, under-educated people?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

“I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating.”

They could always try eating the weaker members of the family to cut costs…

wwaswas

a programmer

the computing world moves on – if he’s got obsolete skills he’s got little chance of finding a role.

nothing to stop him learnign new ones in 10 years though, it has to be said.

grum
    Free Member

Sources please TJ.

I’m pretty sure in France you get a very good percentage of whatever you were earning before – I know of a French footballer who played in our Championship who went back to France and received a very healthy ‘salary’ from the French benefit system based on his previous earnings.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Norm may be overstating it –

Germany – remeberthese are not means tested – this is the equivalent of the £57 a week we get here so a single person on mimimum wage full time would get £160 a week if this was so here.

The level of the UI benefits is defined relative to the net earnings in the previous job.

The formal replacement rates are 67% for parents and 60% for childless people. There is an upper cap to the benefit level, which depends on the upper threshold for gross earnings up to which contributions to the social insurance system have to be paid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The amount of the Dutch unemployment benefit (WW benefit)

The amount of your Dutch unemployment benefit depends on the daily wage you earned. The benefit will be a percentage of the daily wage up to a maximum of € 191.82. (This amount applies as from January 2012.)

* For the first 2 months, you will get 75% of the daily wage
    * After 2 months, you will get 70% of the daily wage
    * In May, you will receive holiday allowance on top of your benefit

enfht
    Free Member

Replace some benefits with something which isn’t redeamable for fags, booze, X Box, Sky etc

squiff
    Free Member

COULD’NT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THAT, DO MY FOOKING HEAD IN, THEY ALL NEED SHIPPING TO THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN AND DROPPED INTO THE SEA 😈

Anyway nice day for a ride is’nt it 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Say what you mean squiff 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Says Ray: “The market for my skills dried up 10 years ago – there’s a total lack of work in my area of expertise.”

Personally I don’t have a problem with the benefits.

It’s the above quote I have and issue with, he’s had 10 years to retrain.

MrSmith
    Free Member

they are drawing at the teat of humanity and shamelessly supping the milk of human kindness.

these people have no shame.

allthepies
    Free Member

TJ, you missed this bit off

Duration of the Dutch unemployment benefit
    How long you get an unemployment benefit depends on the number of years you have worked. For each year of work after 1998, you get 1 month of benefit. The years between your 18th birthday and 1998 are also treated as years of work. The maximum duration of the benefit is 3 years and 2 months.

squiff
    Free Member

TandemJeremy

Ok that thing Clarkson said on the One show a bit back, that’s what I mean

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘I see eight people here having to choose between eating or heating’ is closed to new replies.