Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I say, they are rather good….
  • matt_outandabout

I just bolted a set of Magura MT2’s onto my bike to replace goosed Shimano XT.

😯 after a few stops to bed in. Now 😆 8) Stoppies r us.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Give it a few rides…

Don’t throw the XT away just yet.

matt_outandabout

Still working, having been used most days of this fortnight. They make a gobbly noise when hard pressed – but great power and control…

What problems did you have?

trailmoggy
    Free Member

How are the brakes now? Always loved magura right back to the old Louise free ride days, I have an early set of mt’s on my ss which are good brakes and feel very similar to the xt’s I have in my full susser

I am tempted by some new mt’s tho

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ve ran the mt’s on a few bikes, good enough but not awesome, haven’t looked back since changing to Shimano.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I don’t get the love for XT brakes for me they just feel wooden.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve got a demo bike with mt5s and I nearly Kill myself whenever I ride it, they are stupidly powerful( in a good way))

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you’re a ham fisted oaf with no finger control that’s used to grabbing great handfuls of brake lever, then yes, Shimanos can feel grabby and wooden.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I like both Shimano and magura, for me they feel similar, but Shimano make the ugliest brakes in the world, I look at my xt’s and think eeewww

beagle
    Free Member

I swore not to use magura again after being a fan boi for years. I had two clamps break in seperate, very soft incidents. First, I ‘touched’ a tree with the lever and it broke at the clamp. Second, happened when the bar dug into a loamy section in the Alps at very slow speed leaving me on my holidays, with the only option of sucking it up and buying a 140 euro front brake, after driving around to find a shop. Magura said they purposely make them out of cheese so not to cause further damage. Fine, but at least make the spares easily available ( and priced reasonably). I would mind but I’m really fussy about not doing the clamps up tight!

Reliable performance and very powerful though.

At least when XT do go tits up you can replace bits on the cheap. I’d buy hope through choice, but run XT for £££ reasons…. (Though appreciate false economy situation).

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I thought with shimano you had to buy the complete lever or caliper?

You can but bits easily for hopes and there’s a good reason……

P-Jay
    Free Member

trailmoggy – Member

I thought with shimano you had to buy the complete lever or caliper?

Yeah they’re not really ‘servicable’ you just replace whatever end is broken, but it’s easy to do and they’re good value – a replacement SLX caliper, with a brand new pair of pads is £23, £2 less than I paid for some SRAM rubber seals to try to rebuild a Juicy caliper back in the day (it didn’t help).

fd3chris
    Free Member

I had two pairs of the original mt2 brakes a few years back. One set was on a new bike and never worked even after a good bleed by the bike shop and they were so poor they swapped them for another new pair which never worked either. Never again.

M6TTF
    Free Member

don’t feel the love for shimano either. each to their own.

wwaswas

I love Magura brakes – been using them for at least 10 years – starting with a set of where’s me Julie’s and now on MT’s includign a pair of 8’s.

Just seem to keep working for me (and cheap second hand when I fancy something new) and have the right ‘feel’ too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I say, they are rather good….’ is closed to new replies.