Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • I salute you….Rapha man!
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

“Altura Man”‘s big brother, I think we all owe this guy a big “thank you”!

Last night on my city-climbing loop he helped me out greatly. We

started at precisely the same time, and initially rode up at around the same speed (I was giving it 80% beans, knowing the hill). He then surged ahead and held his pace until a few hundred yards from the top, where, inexplicably, he seemed to expire! Allowing me to pass at my original pace.

Thank you. Thank you for identifying yourself in Rapha clothing, thank you for riding a really expensive bike (unlabelled, but clearly painted ti), thank you for passing me on my mountainbike, thank you!

ton

you are a god……;o)

spawnofyorkshire

i feel all tingly and moist due to your inherent manliness

nedrapier

You managed to identify the titanium through the paint? That’s even more impressive than your hillclimbing exploits!

atlaz
    Free Member

kudos
    Free Member

You managed to identify the titanium through the paint?

He clearly said it was clearly painted… So lacquered?

wwaswas

cynic-al showing off his other superpower, earlier;

ads678

Your parents must be so proud of your awesomness! 🙄

gazc
    Free Member

maybe his heavily loaded calfskin rapha wallet was weighing him down?

Gotama
    Free Member

How dare that man spend his hard earned money on something he enjoys before he has the performance stats to back it up. I like you though cynic-al, the way you triumphed with such grace and dignity is certainly worthy of high praise.

kudos
    Free Member

He then surged ahead and held his pace until a few hundred yards from the top, where, inexplicably, he seemed to expire!

Sounds to me like he was doing intervals…

Also, what city has a climb long enough to make a cyclist “expire” and still have “a few hundred yards” to go to the top?

gazc
    Free Member

Also, what city has a climb long enough to make a cyclist “expire” and still have “a few hundred yards” to go to the top?

ever been to scotland/the north? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

He was probably just stopping to enjoy the delicious aroma of that chip on your shoulder Al.

hilldodger
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    You managed to identify the titanium through the paint? That’s even more impressive than your hillclimbing exploits!

and the width of his tyres, their inflation pressure and contact patch, all whilst dreaming up some pithy comments for an internet forum – what a man :swoon:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh gotta love the haterz!

His dropout was unpainted, fools!

gazc – Member

Edinburgh, Arthur’s Seat.

kudos
    Free Member

ever been to scotland/the north?

I live in the north. Not many cities have hills longer than a “few hundred yards” never mind hills that would defeat a competent cyclist and still leave a few hundred yards to the summit…

Edit: I wouldn’t class Arthur’s Seat as a “city loop”… But hey ho, doesn’t detract from the bellendmanship of the OP…

sofatester
    Free Member

Hero.

bikebouy
    Free Member

*swoons* 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh I am sure NONE of you have ever had a giggle at an ATGNI type.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Arthur’s seat – 83m @ 6%

I’m sure he was just teasing you.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

*Swoon*

martib

…and next time he will go a metre further and so on and so one and you will be a speck in the background 😆

DT78
    Free Member

How do you know he hadn’t been doing hill reps all day and was actually his 20+th time up it?

kudos
    Free Member

This thread isn’t going quite as well as you hoped, is it Al… 🙄

avdave2

So you rode up a hill quicker than a man who on the face of it appears to have been far more successful than you in every other aspect of life. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

fools!

It’s STW, this place is fully stocked with fools. You know this.

wwaswas

So you rode up a hill quicker than a man who on the face of it appears to have been far more successful than you in every other aspect of life.

🙂

bigjim

Are you going to sue him for passing you?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

🙂

+1

I got absolutely humiliated on a road ride last week by a guy on an old Trek Fuel. He passed so quick I couldn’t even jump on his wheel! the difference is he didn’t seem to feel the need to tell eveyone on the internet (AFAIK).

MussEd
    Free Member

Al – I’m just about to head out up the town, probably through Joppa. I’m wearing an Eddy Merckx era Molteni retro top. For your own safety and sanity, in no way am I to be taken on.

Remember: I AM THE CANNIBAL!

You’ve been warned…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kudos, I can’t tell you how bad this is making me feel 😀 I seem to have upset quite a few folk, I am truly sorry.

MussEd – good to see a sense of humour somewhere! I’m in town just now, we can BATTLE on my commute home if your lactate power is up to it.

DT78 – Member

How do you know he hadn’t been doing hill reps all day and was actually his 20+th time up it?

Are you one of the guys I pass who always says “I’m just finishing a century, usually I’m faster than this? 😉

avdave2 – Member

So you rode up a hill quicker than a man who on the face of it appears to have been far more successful than you in every other aspect of life.

avdave2 – Member

Wow, uber-hate!

Please share your life successes so we can compare, you seem worth listening to, and taking seriously – that’s what this thread was meant to be about of course…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I like that Panda, he’s uber cool.

hilldodger
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

…..I seem to have upset quite a few folk

dream on spoon-boy – an object pity at worst, source of mild amusement at best 😛

ton

Al, I was joking mate, BUT I have to be honest, I **** hate ATGNI blokes whilst out on the bike. I have ridden more that ever this year while waiting fro a heart op, and while wearing soccer trainers and combat short.
    just wait until I have my op next week and get fixed, my lycra is ordered too…..I WILL have my revenge on the ‘sky wearing summer riding only’ bastards………. 😈

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh hilldodger, your pithy insults AND a smiley, go you!

ton, I knew you’d see sense. WE need some fist pie on this thread.

DezB
    Free Member

I got absolutely humiliated on a road ride last week by a guy on an old Trek Fuel. He passed so quick I couldn’t even jump on his wheel! the difference is he didn’t seem to feel the need to tell eveyone on the internet (AFAIK).

I got left behind this morning by a roadie in full lycra team kit (but with a rucksack (the horror!)). I’d followed him up and down one hill thinking, “hmm, I’m faster than this bloke”. Then he just left me. No way I could’ve caught him.
    I wasn’t in the slightest bit humiliated though.

DT78
    Free Member

Are you one of the guys I pass who always says “I’m just finishing a century, usually I’m faster than this?

🙂

I resisted the urge to be a complete knobend when I passed a chap pushing his bike up a hill yesterday…

He said “that’s just showing off”

The urge to say something along the lines of I’m in my 60th mile of a century was there, but thankfully I just said, its not too hard if you spin and smiled….

Soon I’ll be riding around in my tour jerseys expecting to be raced everywhere and have threads about it on STW…!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I once overtook some roadies in the Mendips while I was on my Big Dummy carrying a kayak.

They remarked, rather irritably, that they were riding to Glasgow.

I don’t know which of us was on the moral high ground. 🙂

martib

I like that Panda, he’s uber cool.

How did they get it to ride that toy, next it’ll be riding a bike 😯

annebr
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    MussEd – good to see a sense of humour somewhere! I’m in town just now, we can BATTLE on my commute home if your lactate power is up to it.

sniggers, has MussEd got tits?
    (Apart from you obvs ;))

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘I salute you….Rapha man!’ is closed to new replies.