Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I really really dislike adverts
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Why do Halifax adverts promise a grassy beautiful connected sort of lovely ideal. it’s the visual idea of Halifax staff congregating and sounding out the purity and beauty of halifax, whilst formed in an x. I thought the old halifax ads were bad but this stuff is bad for the human spirit. ooh fireworks, family and nice weather… THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY. that’s it

what adverts get on your tits and why?

kayak23

All adverts. I totally, totally object to being bombarded with adverts and hate them with a passion.
    Why has Youtube suddenly become overrun with them? Blummin Mpora videos too!….
    Hate, hate, hate 👿
    Grrr…

…and relax.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Why has Youtube suddenly become overrun with them?

Has it? I hadn’t noticed. 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

Why has Youtube suddenly become overrun with them

Because 13-year-olds are impressionable and will be the next generation to have disposable income – brainwashing them early 😀

saxabar
    Free Member

13-year-olds […] will be the next generation to have disposable income

It’s not looking that way at the moment, but I hope so!

ononeorange

I’m with kayak on this.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not so much adverts but I dislike Red Bull’s marketing and there requirement for people to risk their wellbeing in order to help sell sugary drinks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I approve of redbulls tactics of selling as much gunk as they can, we’d not have this SkyDive attempt today if it wasn’t for them. They’ve always promoted extreme sports and I like them for that, you do afterall choose whether to buy their gunk or not. And that bloke chooses to jump or not, not like he’s being pushed is it (phah)

Adverts that make my head turn to mush are (in no order)
    Persil
    DFS
    Anything on Eurosport

That’s it really, I don’t tend to watch Advert Telly, if I do I fast forward through the Adverts.

Keva
    Free Member

Sadverts.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I find those Halifax all-singing-together adverts sinister…

More to the point I object to being bombarded with messages and aural tags that are designed to alter the way I think, or my behaviour, or to induce me to buy a product that I otherwise wouldn’t buy. Yes, I know, that’s the reason for advertising BUT… If a tweet or a phone call can be considered malicous or offensive, then why not the concept of advertising?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

bikebuoy, it’s not so much the one off events that red bull happen to sponsor that i take issue with, I’m sure anyone as apparently determined as Felix Baumgartner would have found another headline sponsor. his event is very much his concept and risk control with a sponsor tagging on the back of it to make a fast buck, it’s the annual events that I think are unsustainable.

Annual events of this type need to continually be bigger than the last in order to keep it fresh and marketable and there will always be someone willing to attempt the jump/edge/height/whatever which leaves the other people working the circuit in a difficult position. Either don’t perform and risk losing your sponsorship and your livelihood or go ahead with something that you’re less than comfortable with and risk losing a great deal more.

All depends on who has control if it’s participant controlled like todays jump then thats all fine, but once the marketing department start saying we need to go bigger/rockier/faster/more snakes than last year then I’m less keen.

Anyway thats all a bit heavy for this thread really so back in the spirit of it:

I agree with bikebuoy on eurosport but in particular the phrase “Sidi, cycling shoes”

DezB
    Free Member

What I really hate is all the “Spondered by” shit that comes up after the ad breaks these days. %^&*£ OFF!! they just know it’s hard to fast forward over the ads and miss them, but do they really think I’m gonna by stinky bloody JOOP cos I watch True Blood???

singletracked
    Free Member

Seek the wisdom of the North and you will become immune to advertising

lex
    Free Member

The central advertising paradox – either it works or it doesn’t. Neither proposition is very palatable.

Either we are easily manipulated or an $86 billion industry is a waste of money.

Discuss……

roger_mellie

I mute TV ads which helps.

kayak23

Facebook too is becoming increasingly corporate, in that everyone seems to be ‘liking’ coporate pages in order to be entered in a draw or whatever, and so your feed gets full of more and more product carp, and less and less about the truly fascinating things your friends get up to on a daily basis…

toby1

DezB – Member

What I really hate is all the “Spondered by” shit that comes up after the ad breaks these days. %^&*£ OFF!! they just know it’s hard to fast forward over the ads and miss them, but do they really think I’m gonna by stinky bloody JOOP cos I watch True Blood???

Yes they do, otherwise why would they bother! They also think that turning the volume up to 11 on these ads will help get the message through on FX, bombarding my brain I can deal with/ignore, why the need to try and deafen me I have no idea.

ABP for Firefox makes Facebook et al more useable. PVR recorder and Fast Forward all ads. But essentially most TV stations which buy shows are funded from ads I would imagine, so if they die off then what is left?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I don’t know what the product is, but those adverts with the girls sitting on the end of the bed telling you how to get a certain look with your hair while singing their god awful songs

actually, this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7StwWIizX0&feature=autoplay&list=PLDEE376D1072B384D&playnext=1[/video]

billysugger
    Free Member

We buy any bike adverts.

They’re way too complicated for me.

*licks a window*

maccruiskeen

Saying Redbull sponsor events to advertise their drinks is like saying the Ramones play music to advertise their tshirts. Redbull are an events company, they don’t sponsor events – they devise and run them and their main income is the ticket prices and tv rights to those events. They also sell a fizzy drink but its a spin-off. They didn’t devise and don’t manufacture the drink they just put their name on it.

maccruiskeen

The central advertising paradox – either it works or it doesn’t. Neither proposition is very palatable.

Either we are easily manipulated or an $86 billion industry is a waste of money.

Discuss……

Its all a bit of agame theory. In alot of sectors competitors advertise to hold the status quo, neither gains any ground. If both advertise everything stays the same. If neither advertise (assuming they are both established brands) then everything would still stay the same but both parties save loads of dosh. But if one advertises and the other doesn’t then the advertiser gains an advantage….. so they both have to advertise again.

There are reasons to advertise other than to sell products though: “Peacocks Feathers” like the Cadburys Gorilla playing the drums. It doesn’t sell chocolate bars but its still doing something important.

saxabar
    Free Member

Discuss……

Some of it is effective and some of it isn’t?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I really really dislike adverts’ is closed to new replies.