Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • I ran over a badger.
  • StonePantMan
    Free Member

Surrey Hills, Tuesday evening. Having a nice quiet ride with my mates when suddenly a badger shot out from the undergrowth to the left of me. Too late to react I went over it with both wheels.

Fortunately, when I looked back it had scurried under a nearby gate and away to give some cows a dose of TB (allegedly).

I'm noticing all the rabbits are a bit scuicidal at the moment. Spring is quite clearly in the air.

lyons
    Free Member

must be a hard badger!

spacemonkey

Probably a were-badger.

soobalias
    Free Member

i wouldnt rate my chances with a badger, had a few close calls. They always aim for my front wheel.

bunnies however, my dog eats them whole, saves on pedigree chum.

woffle
    Free Member

it'd take more than a bike skidding over / into it to kill a badger – they're solidly built. I ride past a set on the commute – unfortunately it's on a steep hill so I often have to dodge suicidal baby badgers at 25mph.

lyons
    Free Member

i was picturing a car hitting said badger… Still, well done for staying on the bike…

wwaswas

I ran over a dead badger that was lurking in some long grass.

fortunately I missed the bulk of it and was spared a trip over the bars.

unfortunately the sound of its nose and jaw snapping under my front tyre has stayed with me for some time – especially as I didn't initially realise it was already dead.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

FLANDERS BADGER MURDERER
    😛

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Ran right over one at 65mph on a Honda CG125 once. It popped my front wheel right up in the air. Went back to see it scurrying off into the hedgerow. Bloody tough things badgers.

glenp
    Free Member

I had a badger go for my ankles last year when I was walking back from Holmbury in the dark. I think it just didn't realise I was there (no torch, proper dark) and I just happened to be in the way. Quite alarming all the same. Glad I didn't have the dog with me.

toys19
    Free Member

no_eyed_dear – Member

Ran right over one at 65mph on a Honda CG125 once. It popped my front wheel right up in the air. Went back to see it scurrying off into the hedgerow. Bloody tough things badgers.

I'll bet it died in agony later, the flight reaction driven by adrenalin is powerful. When I started deer shooting as a teenager I shot a deer and it ran off like a scalded cat, albeit with one front leg looking floppy. We found the blood trail and sent the dogs after it, found it dying about 500mteres away. Hit it in the shoulder. Got a beating off the old man for not making a clean kill. He tells a similar story involving a gut shot when he was a young un. I say go back and finish it off with your bare hands..

glenp
    Free Member

Never return to a lit firework, or an injured badger!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

no it was just a small zebera ;p

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'll bet it died in agony later, the flight reaction driven by adrenalin is powerful.

Not necessarily, they're not a small animal and they're built like tanks. A friend ran into a labrador a year or so back, bent his wheel and threw him over the bars (he hit it at about 20mph), square in its ribs. It bolted as far as the lead would let it, then came back looking a bit cheesed off but generally ok. I'd not expect a dog to be any worse.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I see badgers occasionally on my night rides and I'm not convinced I'd come off best in any collision. Most animals run away but they sometimes just stand their ground as if to say "come on if you think you're hard enough".

I see badgers more often than deer, but did see several of those on my Sunday morning ride. Unlike the badgers though I've never got close enough to one to worry about hitting it.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Badgers are HARD

there are only two things that scare Chuck Norris – Badgers and his own reflection

I saw a couple out the back of Alton Towers hotel last week, heard a rustling in the bushes and two of them ran not 5ft away from me, they are coming out of hibernation and returning to nursery sets and last years broods are finding new homes at this time of year.

Badgers rock

ahwiles
    Free Member

yup, nuther badger fan here.

Badgers and their sets are protected by law (good), but we're also killing THOUSANDS of the things – just to see if we can save a few quid on bovine TB vaccination…

ar53/elbow anyone?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A bolting dog put a big, head-shaped dent in my wing a few years ago. Yelped a bit and ran back to its owner. I was doing 30 mph at the time so was quite surprised to get a side impact from a dog! I stopped to talk to the owner but I think the dog was so stupid that you wouldn't notice any brain damage (goes for the owner too).

Haze

[pendant]

Badgers don't hibernate.

They just stop in a bit more.

[/pendant]

Speshpaul

You are lucky it didn't **** you then kill you!

"Ran right over one at 65mph on a Honda CG125 once" you're making some of that up aren't you:-)

toys19
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear – Member

A bolting dog put a big, head-shaped dent in my wing a few years ago. Yelped a bit and ran back to its owner. I was doing 30 mph at the time so was quite surprised to get a side impact from a dog! I stopped to talk to the owner but I think the dog was so stupid that you wouldn't notice any brain damage (goes for the owner too).

Crash protection zones.

Sonor
    Free Member

Saw a couple of Badgers in Richmond Park a few nights back. One ran along side me(scared the bejesus out of me) and later on one looking for food in front of me on the trail.

I stopped as it ignored me even though it was bathed in my light. It then froze for a few seconds, then turned it's head and looked at me and wandered off into the undergrowth.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

you're making some of that up aren't you 🙂

Nope…! God's honest! I was quite lucky not to come off my bike really. Country road, late at night, 6v electrics 'lighting' the way… One hell of a 'bounce'. And if you think I'm gonna finish off a badger with my bare hands… 😯

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Haze – Member

[pendant]

Badgers don't hibernate.

They just stop in a bit more.

[/pendant]

fair point.

It's a long time since i disbanded the 'badger club' of which i was founding and sole member (unless you count my mum)

we had a flag and a newsletter and everything

I led a lonely childhood but luckily it was well within reach of a fair few badger sets 😥

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Dude badgars r wikid tuff mofos if u valu ur ballsak leve them be they are totaly awsum hard dudes

Speshpaul

"you're making some of that up aren't you

Nope…! God's honest! I was quite lucky not to come off my bike really. Country road, late at night, 6v electrics 'lighting' the way… One hell of a 'bounce'. And if you think I'm gonna finish off a badger with my bare hands…

65mph on a Honda CB125, had the badger gone over a cliff as well:-)

Speshpaul

What are Badgars? And are they down with the kids?

Macavity
    Free Member

Fox is good in a curry, badger is a bit too greasy, grey squirrel is good.

http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpages/eurasian-badger-51.html

nickc

friend of mine had a head on with a badger on some singletrack, smacked the badger right between the eyes with his front wheel. Thing just shook it's head and shuffled off.

Nick
    lyons
    Free Member
    BigJohn

You mean we went to war in
    Iran over a badger?

And we're in Afghanistan over a squirrel.

nicko74

OK, Badgars are wikid tuff.
    So, the question is – badger or baboon?

Don't think I've ever seen a real life one. 🙁

duckman

friend of mine had a head on with a badger on some singletrack, smacked the badger right between the eyes with his front wheel. Thing just shook it's head and shuffled off.

If you had spilled ANY of it's pint you would have seen a totally different side to that badger

boblo
    Free Member

Mark Datz – Member
    Dude badgars r wikid tuff mofos if u valu ur ballsak leve them be they are totaly awsum hard dudes

WTF does this mean? Have I fallen down a worm hole into a parallel dimension?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

If you had spilled ANY of it's pint you would have seen a totally different side to that badger

if it had been holding a pint nickc wouldn't have been able to remember the incident due to being blind drunk off the fumes

bassspine
    Free Member

(Shhh he doesn't speak english but we all pretend he's ok – care in the community)

Tiger6791

Badgerhop…

like a Bunnyhop but able to clear a larger mammal

tazzymtb

mate of mine hit a badger night riding, it bounced off the front wheel and got punted in to some bushes. We came around the corner to find mate on floor still clipped in with the following commentary:
    " **** me i've twatted a badger"…….
    "ermmmm guys it's looking at me!"……..
    "F**king hell it's coming straight for me!"
    He had to fend it off with a camel back until we arrived and it looked at us, made a snuffley sort of "yeh and I'd have you as well" noise and meandered off into the bushes.

Android
    Free Member

I got "T" boned by one a couple of weeks ago, felt like getting hit by a 20 mph tree stump, not quite sure how I stayed on, probably the fear of getting ravaged by a pi$$ed off Badger 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I ran over a badger.’ is closed to new replies.