Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I need to know about log burners!
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

and I’m confident I’m going to get e good response on here. 🙂

I’m doing some work to my house and looking at a double sided log burner. Ive seen prices from £1k to £2k without much difference in the spec. Why? Any comments/recommendations?

In another area, I was planning on moving a fireplace and installing a gas effect log/coal fire, due to the lack of chimney and only really wanting a flue to around 4m high. However, I’d prefer a log burner, but what are the limitations of a flue, height wise?

TIA.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can get cas log wood burner types with catalytic converters that do not need flues

as for price difference on chimneys like asking why a boardman costs so much less than a “premium” brand

Sometimes quality sometimes not

Good value to be had second hand especially for the double door burner think mine was about £100 from ebay and its about 1k new. It was 20 ish years old mind but nothing really to break on them

ahwiles
    Free Member

looking at a double sided log burner.

Why a ‘double’…?

My parents bought a big one, because they liked the look of it. But they have to run it with the vents closed off, or it just produces too much heat. With the vents closed off it doesn’t burn properly, so my dad spends most of his time scrubbing baked soot off the glass.

Get a small one, 3kw, and run it hot.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Double, because it’s in a space between two areas.

bedmaker

My parents bought a big one, because they liked the look of it. But they have to run it with the vents closed off, or it just produces too much heat. With the vents closed off it doesn’t burn properly, so my dad spends most of his time scrubbing baked soot off the glass.

This. Double sided is tricky to make work, hence very few manufactures offering them. They also tend to be high output and like to run in the upper end of that output range.

It’s a nice concept in the right setting, but a disappointment more often than not.

bedmaker

A spinny roundy type might be better depending on space available.
    Rais Rina for example has the opion of a turntable and is a much better stove than any double I’ve seen in action.

br
    Free Member

as for price difference on chimneys like asking why a boardman costs so much less than a “premium” brand[/I]

We’ve a Stovax, wasn’t cheap but it is bloody good and takes an 18″ log so less cutting needed 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Double sided is tricky to make work

reduce size of fire pit by using fire bricks
    Its what i did

it can kick out 8 kwh i run it at about 3

ahwiles
    Free Member

That’s a bloody good idea!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

reduce size of fire pit by using fire bricks
    Its what i did

it can kick out 8 kwh i run it at about 3

Did you go full height with the bricks or just reduce the size of the pit at the bottom?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Do the suppliers take u-vales into account when sizing these things up?

Junkyard
    Free Member

just at the bottom

Mail me if you want pics of what i did but basically lost the end 1/4 of the grate either side at the bottom and one fire brick width at the back as well. Its much higher than the fire ever is

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I love the idea of a spinny around stove, depending on which room you’re in, but don’t recall any of those when I was searching (altho wasn’t looking). Did see a few double sided stoves.

timber

There is probably an equation for required flue length for effective draw, but I don’t know it. However, at work we have a 2m flue that is fan assisted, with the added benefit of a consistent draw. 4m may be sufficient though, guy at work put one in a single storey extension, burnt fine, but had to extend it to get smoke away from neighbours.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Most manufacturers will state a minimum flue length and 4m is close… Think 4.5m is common. It’s just a guide though, good draw is dependent on a bit more than just that, and 4m may be fine.

Cost of stove….. As with anything some makes will be better value but often more costly stoves are more controlable and more durable, but I’d hope any stove costing a grand would be decent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I need to know about log burners!’ is closed to new replies.