Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • I need some Music recommendations
  • Admiralable
    Free Member

I'm bored with the current selection of albums on my mp3 player. I want to get some new stuff.
    At heart I'm an old school indie kid with a staple of Suede, Levellers, Lightning seeds, Elastica, Sleeper the old 1990's britpop. I do have a fair bit of rap with people like Dre, Biggy and Jay-z. Also some Metallica, bit of Billy Bragg and a small but dangerous penchant for the eagles, Jerry Reed and Grateful Dead.
    Not so much into dancier stuff. I like guitars.

Any recommendations for new stuff?

alanf
    Free Member

Kasabian would fit your bill I reckon

Admiralable
    Free Member

couldn't get on with Kasabian. Had the first album when it came out. Same with Kaiser Chiefs.

Maybe I should start listening to the radio more often.

Creg

Ive been listening to a lot of post rock stuff lately, not sure if its your kind of thing but heres a few to take a look at:

sleepmakeswaves – One Day You Will Teach Me To Let Go Of My Fears

sleepmakeswaves – Keep Your Splendid Silent Sun

Caspian – The Raven

God Is An Astronaut – Fragile

U31
    Free Member

If you want something more eclectic, in a Greg Wilson stylee,try http://www.cosmicboogie.co.uk/ and D/L some of the mixes off there,

Look on the the right hand column for a link called guest mixes, there's a few corkers in there too

GJP
    Free Member

I have recently re-discovered Echo and the Bunnymen. Barely stopped listening to their live in Liverpool album this last couple of weeks

sc-xc

Johnny Cash American I-V. Start with IV, then listen to V. Then I-III.

If you like them, listen to VI…but VI is a bit shit.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Modest Mouse
    Broken Social Scene
    Foals
    Stars

And get on 6music in the evenings, always plenty of good stuff.

MrNutt
    Free Member

babyshambles
    Land Of Talk
    Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
    Luke Haines
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Noah And The Whale
    PSAPP
    Peggy Sue

etc etc etc

Xylene
    Free Member

Monkey Swallowed the Universe

Feist

Violent Femmes

Have been on in my car recently

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Hippy Hoppy;
    Sage Francis
    Scroobius Pip
    Akira The Don.

Indie;
    The Rifles
    Little Man Tate
    Courteeners

Bought I Am Arrows (Andy Burrows, ex drummer from Razorlight) yesterday which is rather good.

Edit; Everyone needs Jonhny Cash in their collection. 🙂

Steve Mason?
    Mogwai? 💡

Xylene
    Free Member

Lots of Johnny Cash as well.

and Aphrodite's album from around 2000

Kevevs
    Free Member

Bagel Shaped Womble.
    Green Canal Boat.
    Angry Flotsam.

been on rotation for the last week.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Are you bored with what you have 'cause you've listened to it for too long, or are you bored with that style and looking for a new flavour?

Lots of late 90s to mid 00s US guitar music to catch up on if you haven't already – Pavement, Pixies, Breeders, Nada Surf blah blah etc. etc.

New(er) stuff – try bands such as Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Broken Social Scene, Mogwai, Explosions In the Sky, Sparklehorse, Archie Bronson Outfit, Shins, Wilco, Dirty Projectors, Graham Coxon, Field Music (just superb!) Wild Beasts, Modest Mouse.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

For some hippedy hop: Edan – 'Primitive Plus', 'Beauty and the Beat.'

Guitars: fIREHOSE, 'Ragin' Full On', Flying the Flannel', in fact all of their albums are great. Best indie guitar band ever in my humble opinion. There's always Led Zeppelin though… 'Presence' and 'Physical Graffiti', pure class.

Any Hip Hop before 1990 is cool, rockin it oldskool.

sc-xc

I am really behind the times, but the only things when shuffled on my limited selection that get me looking at the screen to see who it is…are:

The Fall
    Louise XIV
    Modest Mouse
    Calexico
    Libertines/Babyshambles/DPT
    Rev Horton Heat

The bands I love the most in the world – NMA and the mighty, mighty Culture Shock.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

NWA. Ayeet.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Seeing as you like the early/mid 90's…

Pavement 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain'
    Veruca Salt 'American Thighs'
    Sonic Youth 'Daydream Nation'
    Afghan Whigs 'Gentlemen'
    Archers of Loaf 'Icky Mettle'
    Whipping Boy 'Heartworm'
    Idlewild 'Hope is Important'
    Rocket from the Crypt 'Scream Dracula, Scream!'

john_drummer
    Free Member

shameless plug for my own band: The Wick Effect

you could also try the "Bands" or "mp3s" tabs on http://www.leedsmusicscene.net

or listen to http://www.amazingradio.co.uk or http://www.leedsindieradio.net

CountZero

Soundgarden have a suitably loud new single in iTunes, Arcade Fire's new album The Suburbs is outstanding, then there's Metric, Sleighbells, Surfer Blood, Dark Star, who released one album back in the 90's called 20/20 Sound, which is really worth tracking down on Amazon. Brilliant live band who were bloody loud, if you stood in front of the drummer in a small venue you could feel the bass drum thumping you in the chest, and to get a 'fatter' sound on some song he'd use a pair of maracas as drum sticks! You could do a lot worse than spend some time listening to 6Music, you'll hear lots of interesting new stuff; It's where I get all my new music ideas from, like Metric, Stars, Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, The Dears, Death Cab For Cutie, Feist, Auf Der Maur… Those and many, many others I first heard on 6.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Count Zero – Dark Star…..born from the ashes of Levitation. Awesome album , awesome band live and that drummer was a joke…..end of. Drumsticks like chair legs.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Yeah, that Surfer Blood album 'Astro Coast' is great. Saw them at ATP Pavement earlier in the summer, they were even better live.

Darkstar! I sawe them about 10 years ago at Hull University Student Union. Tickets were £4 and there were all of about 40 of us in attendance.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

If you like guitars you gotta try Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed,65 days of Static

No lyrics – incredible

anagallis_arvensis

King Creosote
    The National

if you only ever have one Cash album make sure its Live at Folsom, everything you need to know about him is on that

Cougar

Veruca Salt 'American Thighs'

Good god, I thought I was the only one who'd ever heard of that lot. "Eight Arms To Hold You" is a quality album.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

They were riding high for a while from about 94-96.

I remember 'Seether' was all over MTV and was NME/Evening Session Single of the Year. Saw them at Reading Festival at some point too.

Nina Gordon and Louise Post were beautiful, shame they split…allegedly it was over Dave Grohl who'd scored with both of them.

Love Eight Arms to Hold You, some great songs on there.

There are a couple of other albums too, but it's just Louise Post and some session musicians.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Ane Blum, Kathleen Edwards, Cocorosie, Karen Elson, Laura Viers, Laura Marling, Emily Jane White, I Blame Coco.

My top tips this week.

fluided
    Free Member

try

missy higgins mellow stuff
    handsome boy modeling school and deltron 3030 great mellow hip hop
    gotye ozzie guy also good

fluided
    Free Member

I also forgot

the xx
    laura marling
    interpol
    broken bells
    elbow
    foals
    gil scott heron you need to listen to i'm new here
    husky rescue
    queens of the stone age
    Paul weller
    seth lakeman
    skunkhour

thats my lot I could keep going on but I'm sure you have enough now

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

New British signings to Sub Pop, Male Bonding have has their debut out for a few months now – it's very good. Sort of like Ride, but 10 times as fast!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Ligament / Part chimp

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

immense charm
    the pile
    two reasons
    best coast
    10yrs in Wichita

iDave
    Free Member

morphine
    smoking popes
    eels
    i am kloot
    talking heads
    tom vek
    pj harvey
    old rolling stones
    placebo

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Lots of good suggestions on this thread.

Any of the people who like Black Flag, Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat, Husker Du, The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Big Black, Dinosaur Jr, Fugazi, Mudhoney or Beat Happening should check out Michael' Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991.

Such a good book.

Henry Rollins' Get in the Van – The Black Flag Tour Diaries, is an amazing
    book too and will appeal to just about any music fan even if you don't listen to hardcore.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

how about reggae and ska – desmond dekker for example

Raped Ape? The Inflatable Teacups? Billbo Baggins And The Bawbag Dusters? D-Rox-7? October Project?

Glasgow scene's jamming at the mo'!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Best coast, foals, slippery sun, Bombay bicycle club, Maccabees, doves, as has already been mentioned bbc6 is your friend

Admiralable
    Free Member

Amazon looks as if it will be busy for a while then 🙂

Now how do i get BBC 6 on my nokia N97?

Naranjada
    Free Member

Can't believe I didn't recommend Spoon in my original list.

If you have time, and work's a great place for this if you're allowed, just check out various Myspace sites for some of the bands recommended, then listen to the music from their 'friends', and their friends' friends etc. I've found some real gems doing just that.

And listen to Fall legend and top radio presenter Marc Riley, Mon-Thurs, 7 to 9 on BBC 6music.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I need some Music recommendations’ is closed to new replies.