Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I need new brakes, opinions please
  • neilc
    Free Member

Sorry for asking something that’s probably been asked many times before (though a search of the forum didn’t yield much)

So anyway, my brilliant Formula TheOnes (the 2009 version) decided to leak everywhere. I sent them back to try to have them repaired under warranty, but it’s not going to happen. The shop (CRC) said they’ll give me vouchers to the tune of £380. So I need to choose some new brakes. It’s for an Intense Tracer VP. I’m a fairly aggressive rider, so I want something with a fair bit of power.

I won’t go near Avid (used to be a mechanic and I hated working on them. There is absolutely no way I will ever be persuaded to own a set myself).

I’m not too keen on Formula again after my previous experience of them (a shame, as they were the best performing brakes I’ve ever used).

I’m not really a fan of Hayes (though haven’t used a set for any length of time since I had a set of HFX 9s)

I can’t have Shimano (it’s a Shimano free bike).

So, I’m thinking Hope Tech Evo V2s, possibly with 203mm rotors, though they are so heavy. I’m not overly keen on Hope, the last set I had (M4s) were a bit pants as the piston kept sticking, which caused a lot of problems being 4 pot (though a set of earlier model M4s with metal pistons, not phrenolic, are still going strong on my DH bike). But, Hope are easy to work with and easy to get spares for, better the devil you know…

Has anyone got any other suggestions? As far as I can tell, all brakes have some failing, it’s just a case of choosing what problems you can live with.

sambob
    Free Member

Magura? You’re running out of brakes….

jedi

v2 end of thread

honourablegeorge

Why the anti-Shimano thing?

Saints are the best brake bar none for aggressive riding.

neninja
    Free Member

The 2010 onwards Formula The One was supposed to be a big improvement over the 2009 version.

I’ve had no problems with the Formula brakes I’ve had and wouldn’t look at anything else personally.

IHN

well, this is STW, so i’ll say it.

BB7 FTW

kayak23

Bit fussy intcha?
    Xt’s are great, nowt wrong with shimano.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Shimano XTRs are, by far and away, the best brakes available right now.

Hopes will feel noticeably underpowered compared to the Formulas and Shimano.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

Xt’s are great, nowt wrong with shimano.

if you can find any in stock that is ! (and i dont been the shat shops at over 200 quid the set 😕

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’d have those Formula ROs. You might get them on budget with the discount codes.

kimbers

ask for a test on someone with the new evo hopes and see how you rate em

hope service and longevity wins it for me

MRanger156
    Free Member

Saints all the way or possibly magura.

I’ve tried the hope equivilent to saints and they were no where near performance wise.

coogan
    Free Member

Shimano make the best brakes as far as I’m concerned. By miles.

ruscle
    Free Member

What jedi said

neilc
    Free Member

I accept that Shimano make excellent brakes. However my shifters and mechs are SRAM. Mixing Shimano and SRAM just ain’t right! (yes, I realise that I’m being stupid)

To kayak23: yes, I am fussy! 🙂

A big downside with Hope is the reduced power, but I haven’t tried the newest versions. I guess I’ll have to try and test some out.

The R0s look nice, I might reconsider my stance on Formula.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Strange reason to discount possibly the best option when your spending that sort of cash.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Strange that some say that Hope are under powered! Do you not mean well modulated? I run Evo M4’s and I think they’re really good.

honourablegeorge

I have SRAM X9 and Saint brakes on two bikes, they slot together perfectrly – neater than Saint and Saint do.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I need new brakes, opinions please’ is closed to new replies.