Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I NEED HELP can you mix and match shimano brake levers to callipers
  • toymotor
    Free Member

I have M975 brakes and matching callipers and would like to change the levers to the latest race XTR m985 but can this be done ?
    has anyone done this before ? what are the pitfalls steps to avoid etc
    are their any other Shimano levers that will fit these callipers, I dont mind changing ends but in an ideal world i would like them to un-screw from current levers and just fly on to the new ones… any one got advice.
    I’ve done the usual chain reaction tech guys are very coy on thye interchangeability of shimano. cant find an e-mail to contact shimano direct.

toys19
    Free Member

yep, as long as they have the same fluid, and all shimano use dot 5 mineral oil.

The piston ratios might be a bit different but you will probably not notice.

gonzy
    Free Member

yes you can…one of the guys at my LBS ran xtr calipers with xt levers

toymotor
    Free Member

ok what about m985 levers with m975 callipers any advice on those
    cheers for the help so far

gonzy
    Free Member

in theory so long as the fluid used is the same and the fittings are the same then it should work…but dont blame me if it doesnt and you end up getting dead…
    you might want to check with your lbs

greeble
    Free Member

I did hear the new xtr levers wont work with other calipers.

I’m running the new slx and older servo wave levers on 1st gen saints. with zero problems

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes you can use the combination you want. You will need to use SM-BH90 hoses with straight connectors both ends. If you use your existing hoses they will never feel as sharp as they should.

Toys19 – DOT and mineral are two completely different types of brake fluid. Shimano run mineral.

toys19
    Free Member

Which adheres to the dot 5 standard. They mix, we do it all the time without any issues.

michaelbowden

I run M985 with the Saint M820 calipers just fine.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

What about xt levers and avid elixir 5 callipers?

jezandu
    Free Member

Don’t use DOT 5 in any shimano brakes systems it’ll swell the seals and knack your brakes. Mineral only. Google it and you’ll see what I mean.

toymotor
    Free Member

so chain reaction tell me m985 levers will mate up to m975 callipers no problems as long as you stick with shimano mineral oil fittings all match, so thats sorted thanks

amedias
    Free Member

Don’t use DOT 5 in any shimano brakes systems it’ll swell the seals and knack your brakes. Mineral only. Google it and you’ll see what I mean.

I think you’re confusing DOT 5 and DOT 5.1

DOT 3,4 and 5.1 are glycol based (Hayes, Hope, etc)

DOT 5 is silicone based and should be compatible with systems that specify mineral oil, but I’d still use manufacturer recommended, especially if you have any kind for warranty to worry about

toys19
    Free Member

Thank you amedias, as I mentioned I mix dot 5 and shimano mineral all the time without any issues.

toymotor
    Free Member

to wrap this up for anyone else considering a lever swop.. YES XTR M988 trail levers do fit nice & work very well with XTR M975 callipers and damn fine they are too so thanks to all who answered & they’ve bling’d up my bars a treat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I NEED HELP can you mix and match shimano brake levers to callipers’ is closed to new replies.