Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I need an addiction
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

OK, how do I get addicted to cycling again? I’ve parted ways many years ago and since then I’ve dabbled and bought the toys but not really sunk into the depths of mud-filled depravity I once lived in. What’s a sure-fire way of getting me to WANT to get out on the bike every day? In the mean time I’ve had an addiction to kite-surfing but lost that after a few years too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Drugs! 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Reward yourself for going for a ride with some crack.

flip
    Free Member

Spring is (nearly) upon us, daffodils and snowdrops abound. Sun is out.

Whats not to like?

Buy a new bike?

donsimon
    Free Member

Spring is (nearly) upon us, daffodils and snowdrops abound. Sun is out.

Go for a ride, pick some daffodils, fill your home and your friends’s homes with the pretty yellow flowers, I’m sure no-one will mind.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got an addictive personality, I can get addicted to anything.

I even get a slight buzz off of STW, barely perceptible now but got to keep trying for it.

Ahhh.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m worried that rewarding myself for a ride with crack may result in me just skipping the ride, but it seems like a valid option to try I guess!

Ive got a new bike, just can’t be bothered. No sun here. I look at my bike and look outside and think “It’s cold, muddy and slippery – it’ll be a slow and dull ride, I’m unfit and so it’ll be even slower – why bother” and put the kettle on.

There was a time when I rode 20 miles a day to work and back, worked outside all day and loved it. Then I switched to 34 miles a day commute-race with a friend, enjoyed that (though not as much) and eventually that lost it’s buzz. I seem to become immune to the buzz unless I get stupidly faster each time, which doesn’t happen. So I resort to hydrocarbon based fun.

mustard
    Free Member

Get fit!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s cold, muddy and slippery – it’ll be a slow and dull ride, I’m unfit and so it’ll be even slower – why bother”

You need to start smoking weed. It’s a great deal easier to get hooked on than exercise.

coffeeking
    Free Member

That’s kinda the plan mustard, but the getting fit bit comes with the addiction, not the other way round. I considered joining the local club but I tend to find clubby people a bit well…groupy. I enjoyed a quick test ride with some of them a while ago but it was quite start-stoppy which sapped my energy no end and I dislike the “you will be here each week” feeling of “I must be there” rather than “I want to be there”, which makes me resent it and not want to go. I did kickboxing for ages and hated going, loved it when I was there but I hated going and would put it off or not go if at all possible. I’m odd.

coffeeking
    Free Member

TSY – never touched anything addictive (other than alcohol, and even then with great caution) as I know I tend to fall hard and fast for stuff, then burn out.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Get involved CK. Once you hit rock bottom the need to exercise may become over powering?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Fancy getting addicted to buying me new bike bits? got a hankering for some fine transition and Marzocchi bits? 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Get involved CK. Once you hit rock bottom the need to exercise may become over powering?

My work makes that a tad difficult, often I over-run at work and can’t really help it. Well, I can but I’d have to re-structure my entire life to deal with it – maybe that’s what’s needed.

passtherizla – cheers, I’ve my own outgoings to cover. Currently buying parts from multiple audi’s and VW’s in a hit-and-miss route to building a car, can’t afford to help out!

dabble
    Free Member

Get a riding buddy whos well into it and will get you out the house. I go to the gym (i know, i know) with a friend cos if it was up to me to go on my own i wouldn’t, id say to myself i was too tired or just couldnt be bothered but havin him text me n say “you comin to the gym?” gees me up to do it cos i dont wanna let hi down n theres a bit of competition as well which adds a bit of fun.
    Failing that get some pot n go to the woods, things dont get easier but you dont care as much. 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

I (re)motivated myself by promising myself a new bike after i’ve cycled 1000 miles.

br
    Free Member

+1 riding buddy

Harry_the_Spider

Bought 4 cars and a bit of track off the classifieds last summer… since then things have escalated. 😳

coffeeking
    Free Member

HTS – Im afraid I’ve sort of done that with bikes. I’ve now more bikes than I could ever ride. The only riding buddy I can find will ride endlessly on road and kills me because he’s notably more fit than I am. I’m trying to get back onto that side of things though!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I need an addiction’ is closed to new replies.