Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I need a suit – where to buy?
  • xcgb
    Free Member

OK its time i got a suit with a few occasions cropping up, I only want one do it all type as I have never had one before and people will be surprised as I normally dress somewhat on the casual side!

I do not want a shiny one or to look like a city broker!

I am expecting to spend a few hundred but dont know where to start?

Any tips – suit clad commuters!

Ta

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

If there is a slater’s near you they do a good two piece suit for fifty quid as well as designer ones if you want something more chic

peterfile
    Free Member

There’s quite a few threads on this, but in summary:

Go for a subtle grey or navy if you want a “do it all” suit.

Make sure it fits (most places will do alterations to tweak any areas that don’t).

Keep it simple

You don’t need to spend a few hundred, but it’s worth shopping around to see what looks good on you and what you like.

A good pair of shoes are as important as the suit

Try:

House of Fraser (Linea range)
    M&S
    Slaters (lots of options across all price ranges)
    Austin Reed
    Reiss
    Hugo Boss (during sale time)

Suits above will range from under £100 to around £350, are all very different and should give you plenty of options to work out what sort of fit you need and what appeals.

IHN

M&S.

Good range, well made, well priced.

xcgb
    Free Member

Wow
    Cheers chaps, nearest Slaters to me is the new reading store that opens next month its a bit of a trek but if theres lots of choice its probably worth it.

Good advice too re shoes and fit

Cletus

George at Asda – £40 – spend saved money on bike shiney

scaled
    Free Member

+1 for Slaters

The Manchester branch has the most amazing Mr Humphries 😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Cletus
    Nice idea but this will need to be sanctioned by the better half so cant see me getting away with that!

ransos
    Free Member

Have a look at the M&S Satorial range – I bought one for £200 recently, and it’s a noticeably nicer cut and quality than their usual stuff. 100% Yorkshire cloth apparently. The Sartorial shirts are nice too, but buy the slim fit unless you’re a proper lard bucket.

deluded
    Free Member

Got to be M&S.

philconsequence
    Free Member

what size chest/waist are you?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

M&S

Or slightly cheaper (now don’t laugh) Matilan

TooTall
    Free Member

Said it before – will say it again:

Don’t get a ‘fashion’ suit. Get something classic. Therefore, most anything with a ‘designer’ tag should be avoided.

Buy as good as you can afford. M&S are well-respected for their tailoring and are a good OTP option if they fit your body shape. Lewin, Austin Reed and Slater are good places to look as well. Suits for £100 look like it and are pish and should be avoided.

Take SWMBO with you as you NEED someone else to check the fit. Don’t buy too tight (common problem) or too short.

Get decent shirts and ties as well. Shirts are cotton and ties are silk.

Shoes. Cheap shoes will drag a decent suit down. Leather, classic is best again – they will last longer.

Several people on here have recommended Reiss in the past. I went out of my way to check a Reiss store out the other week. Disposable fashion, not for suits.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just got a cheap Next slim fit suit. People here will say it’s “not a proper suit” etc but I wore it to an interview and got the job, and when I last wore it for a night out I got 2 numbers, so mission accomplished really 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers again ( i had to look SWMBO up!)

Yes Classic is the way as I wont be buying another for a few years

peterfile
    Free Member

Several people on here have recommended Reiss in the past. I went out of my way to check a Reiss store out the other week. Disposable fashion, not for suits.

Serious question, how old are you and what sort of build?

Granted, they are a bit more modern than M&S and Lewin, but for non business environments (which is what the OP wants a suit for), they are more appealing.

Turn up at a wedding, dinner, event wearing a Lewin and you’ll look like you’ve just finished work.

Incidentally, Reiss design has stayed pretty similar for many years, it’s quite easy to spot Reiss (or copies). It also wears well, so not sure where the “disposable fashion” comes from.

Reiss Suits

xcgb
    Free Member

I am in my 40s slim build (but not as slim as i was!) 6’1″ height 32-34 waist kinda size, long legs too!

peterfile
    Free Member

I am in my 40s slim build (but not as slim as i was!) 6’1″ height 32-34 waist kinda size, long legs too!

Take a woman who dresses well (ask female friends who they think dresses the best out of your group). Your wife may not be too happy initially, but will be pleased with the results. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

John Lewis.

NJA

Another vote for M&S – I wear a suit everyday for work and theirs are simply the best value I have come across. As I am a non standard size tall, smallish waist largish chest the fact that the Jackets and Trousers are not paired up in standard sizes is a great help, and for everyday use you can buy two pairs of trousers and one jacket.

titusrider
    Free Member

not really relevant but i struggled to get anything really nice to fit me for my wedding so have gone full bespoke from a tailor and have my final fitting tonight!! Properly excited, it looked super sharp even when half made at the first fitting 🙂

yoda
    Free Member

good suit buying advice!

I find Thomas’ site offers some very informative articles.
    I’m in the business and would agree with most of what he says.

Also the M&S suits everyone’s mentioned. I strongly suspect are made by Browns of Bramley near Leeds.
    More than likely using 52/2 all wool supplied by MBA yarns based in Bradford. Finished out in Huddersfield. No idea where they’re actually made up but, that’s about as traditional Yorkshire as a suit can get these days.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers Yoda

Pembo
    Free Member

The Manchester branch has the most amazing Mr Humphries

Camp as a row of tents that bloke, and really funny. Great store as well.

happyrider
    Free Member

Are you close to Bicester Village? I got a really nice suite for £250 from the Versace store, kind of goes against what TooTall has said but it worked for me.

It’s a good do it all grey suite that looks the part for all ocasions. I tried a few on from different shops and the difference was staggering! This was the best fit although i am kind of Italian shape, broad shoulders and slim hips.

xcgb
    Free Member

Not very close to Bicester no, Guildford surrey way

TooTall
    Free Member

40s, 6’7″ tall, 48 chest. My build has nothing to do with knowing what a suit looks like on someone else. Reiss don’t look like they would last more than 2 or 3 dry cleans without failing.

kcal

Got a suit from Slaters about 7 years ago for interviews. Excellent suit, service was excellent too – shirt and tie were included for not much extra. And the DSS paid for it – result!

freddyg
    Free Member

-1 on Reiss. I had one and it fell apart. Unless they’ve improved their quality in the last few years I’d avoid. M&S for good value for money, nice fabrics, nice cut.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Well said. They aren’t even 100% wool ffs.
    Quite like their casual stuff but the suits are pish, expensive pish.

CHB

Ted Baker sale. twice a year for me.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Give Moss Bros a go. I got a really nice Calvin Klein suit from there a couple of months ago & the staff were excellent. I just told them the colour I wanted & they had two great suits off the rack for me within a couple of minutes. They really knew their stuff & saved me hours of trying on things that were the wrong size or fit. Can’t go wrong 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

TM Lewin in Guildford high street. Their £200 suit is noticeably better than the equivalent M&S one. Allow a day or two though…. they take the trousers up to the right length for you (included in the cost).
    Shirts are really good too…. again, M&S prices, but better quality

iceman8
    Free Member

+1 for TM Lewin or Slaters. If you want to spend a touch more look at Jaegar sales – I have a Slaters one for everyday use and a Jaegar one for special occasions and you can really tell the difference.

TiRed

Jaeger – always a good classic look. Two button single breasted, slim fit, flat front trousers. I also like Paul Smith if you want to spend more, but they really are slim fit.

Blue for timeless. Taupe for summer or a change.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I need a suit – where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.