Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I need a Pump recommendation
  • robdob
    Free Member

I have had a MtZefal frame fitting MTB pump now for 20 years (yes I’ve been riding MTBs since I was 12!). It has never let me down and I still use it as it fits in my camelback (just!!). I’ve had a couple of mini pump style ones, including a Blackburn one , but I always go back to the Zefal.

I want to try another one now which is smaller. I’m not bothered about weight or the ability to pump air at a massive rate. I want real quality and longevity and something which is a pleasure to use. I have a Topeak stainless steel one for my road bike which doesn’t pump fast but is lovely to use and really reliable. I’d like a similar one for the MTB.

What are the crank brothers ones like for instance.

I would appreciate comments from people with good long term use rather than “I just bought one” or “I’ve heard these are good”!!!!!

Cheers!!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Firends have had the crank brother ones and haven’t been impressed with there life span.

The topeak mini morph is a pretty good, but it sounds like you want something more up market that will last a lifetime and there is nothing wrong with that. I would suggest KISS type pumps, i.e no gauges or fancy actions. No idea, sorry

Andy

Never used Crank Bros but heard nothing but bad news.

Mountain morph for me.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Crank Bros – form over function.

Avoid.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Oh ye had my mini morph for a couple of years. Perfect. Also the bigger one, which is great and has a gauge aswell as pumping faster, but I have broke the bit that holds the value when not in use. So I would say not a long lasting.

robdob
    Free Member

Not Crank Brothers then!!
    Phew! I was almost going to buy one.

Topeak do seem to make some nice ones. Not bothered about a guage, that’s what your hand is for!

Anthony
    Free Member

A ‘Leyzene’ sounds like it may fit the bill.

Anthony
    Free Member

That be ‘lezyne’ then, sorry!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rob, I’ve had a Topeak Mountain Morph since I started MTBing againa few years ago, and it’s lasted well. They are like a mini track pump. Superbly easy to use and seem fairly tough. At least 2 people I know have borrowed mine, then gone out and bought their own.
    It’ll pump an MTB tyre up vary quickly and easily, and a road bike tyre up to 80-90psi as well

This is the new version, the mini is probably a bit smaller (Noooo? Really?)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2908

Not cheap, but you’ll be glad you did….

james
    Free Member

My topeak morph is/was great when it worked. The main seal and the seals on the valve head end seals have worn out now though, and I’m assuming this is causing it to leak a little pressure and when upto 30+psi it gets a real pain trying to hold the pressure back with the handle

Before that, the foot handle snapped off, the handle retention clip bit (for folding up) snapped off, and you can easily hit your knuckles on the main body of the pump when you hold the handle when pumping

The valve still works though. I’ve had it this one (warranty) for 2 years, the one before wore out in 7 months ish or so. I need to find a main seal and valve seal kit for this one and I reckon It’d be fine after that

thepurist

Lezyne again – lovely bit of kit.

jimw
    Free Member

I have a leyzene alloy mini pump and it is excellent – very small yet it pumps up tyres quite quickly. It is very well made

FuzzyWuzzy

I made the mistake of buying a Crank Brothers one – I think I could inflate a tyre better using my mouth. I’ve just switched to a mountain morph but it’s not exactly small (I would have got the Lezyne version but the shop didn’t have any in). Some of the smaller Lezyne pumps look well made to but not used one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I have a Lezyne, which is very lovely & fairly small and comes with me on road rides & lives in the bottom of my commuter bag

I have a Mountain Morph that lives in the Camelbak and is an ace piece of kit

Michael-B
    Free Member

So glad I’ve read this I have the Crank Bros (Looks nice using it is another story) just ordered me a Lezyne thanks everyone.

P.S I have a Crank Bros pump for sale if anyone’s interested!

stumpy01

I’ve had a Topeak MasterBlaster DX for ages and it is an excellent pump – works on both valve types, is compact but doesn’t take an age to pump up an average tyre. They now do ones that pump on the push and pull stroke, which should be even better. They have ones with and without a gauge.
    Something like this: http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps/MiniDX can be had for about £15.

I am thinking of getting one of those as the handle has recently fallen off my MasterBlaster. It was my fault, as I knew it was coming loose, but left it strapped to hte outside of my Camelbak. Should have loctited it. The pump still works fine though, just not as comfortably!
    If I still had access to the machine tools at my last job I would have just knocked up a new one.

robdob
    Free Member

Lezyne ones seem like a good choice then, but Halfords sell the topeak ones so I might go and have a peek at their range too.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have had a mountain morph for a couple of years and i have it for both MTB duites and commuting duties and can confirm that it pumps the road tyres up to 80-90 psi happily and will also pump up mtb tyres to 30psi. I like mine and it fits in my cammel back well (Mule).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I need a Pump recommendation’ is closed to new replies.