Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • I need a new watch. Suggestions please.
  • ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I need a new watch. The one I wear for work is battered and scratched so I want a nice new watch for "best". I don't work in an office so need to keep one safe from the weekly bashing.

I need analogue, because I need reading glasses, and can't see digital displays. I can read analogue well enough during leisure time, which includes biking. It must be tough enough to cope with being out in all weathers on the bike or fell walking. Would prefer a metal strap. Good timekeeping is a given. It must also be smart enough to wear when out with Mrs Musters on social functions etc.

I'd really like a Rolex, but can't justify their prices (or SWMBO can't). Willing to spend £5/6/700. Don't want anything garish. Been looking round town and most shops on the high street are selling up to £150 watches made of cheapo metal or even cheaper metal lookalike plastic.

What do the discerning readers on here recommend?

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Tissot make some nice watches in that price bracket, or Raymond Weil do some more dressy pieces.

Mof
    Free Member

Tag Heuer Kirium series

surfer
    Free Member

Oris IMO

Mrs Surfer got me one for my 40th. Funnnily enough a Rolex was in the mix despite the £1400 price difference, simply chose the one I liked best.

Been very pleased with it and I am 45 on Saturday so its 5 years old.

lunge

Second Tissot, I got one for my 18th Birthday and 12 years later it is still doing a job.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I love watches, have quite a few and I'd go for something German in that price band.

http://www.sinnwatches.com/

http://germanwatches.com/index.htm

If you like Swiss perhaps an Omega, possibly slightly over budget but a good value watch.

I would be looking for an Automatic rather than 5 quids worth of quartz movement in an expensive case BTW.

tinsy
    Free Member

I have this for sale, its over budget but it is lovely. 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-way-ot-tag-heuer-monaco-mcqueen

simon_g

Seiko Monster. Unbelievably well made for the very reasonable price. Not sold in this country though, so you'll have to source one from a far-eastern seller on ebay. http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/ sometimes gets them though.

There's a whole world of watches outside of the stuff high-street jewelers sell – I'm wearing a Citizen titanium dive watch, 200m WR, automatic and as tough as you like, which cost just over £100 delivered.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Nice watch, but being a traditionalist I prefer round ones, otherwise I would have been tempted to haggle!

wwaswas

I got a nice Victorinox mechanical one last year.

tinsy
    Free Member

Er, not wanting to twist your arm, but it is quite traditional, they originally made it in the 60's then re released it in the late 90's, however its not for everyone I understand..

Thats said joolsburger has a nice point about a proper mechanical movement, and you can get into an Omega with your budget brand new, or obviously millions of choices 2nd hand.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Joolsburger has made a very good point, which I shall take notice of. Price is only a guide, quality is more important. But even then I don't think I could stretch to £2k+ for a Rolex – I'd be too scared of losing it!

tinsy
    Free Member

Not sure what its like where you live, but got lots of jewellers near me that deal in 2nd hand stuff, Rolex and all sorts, its well worth having a snoop around them to see if anything catches your eye… very personal thing a nice watch and what 1 person like another will disslike.

My dad has a lovley Omega Seamaster mum bought him in the 60's he has worn it everyday all bar the odd service interval and its still lovely.

Good luck finding your dream watch..

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Good luck finding your dream watch..

Trouble is….I'm not sure what that is!

tinsy
    Free Member

Pardon the pun, but time will tell, keep searching, you have mentioned Rolex twice maybe thats where your heart is but your struggling to justify it… Remember buy well and you will get years of great service from it and it will hold its value.

I would think it broke my parents to buy that Omega at the time, but 50 years on, maybe it was a bargain. 🙂

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Try the second hand websites. Always looks like there is some bargins on there.

watches.co.uk seems good

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Christopher Ward?

MTT
    Free Member

You would be mad to buy anything from the High-street in that price bracket, don't touch Tag or Rolex, they are the pits.

Look up the following: Stowa, Nomos, Sinn (could be right up your street), Junghans, Zenith

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go second hand, maybe? There's a great watch shop on the Strand, forget the name. Lots of lovely Omegas and the like. Great stock.

trailmonkey

third shout for Tissot. anything with sapphire crystal glass is essential if you intend to wear it for everyday/riding. and still want it to remain unscratched

skiboy
    Free Member

get a rolex,

I brought a sea dweller 16600 z series for myself as they were just about to discontinue it after 40yrs, cost me 3K new, 2.5yrs ago and is now worth around 3.5K, i wear it everyday, it has a few scratches on the bracelet but it was made for wearing, keeps the most amazing time, mine is 5 seconds fast everyday and has been since i brought it, it will last me the rest of my life, will never need a battery, looks the dogs and can take a right battering, plus when i croke the kids will be getting it, only cost me 20 quid to add to my household insurance per year. get one, if you don't you will always hanker for it…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Second hand is a great idea as you will get lots more for your money.

Really the big modern brands are not what they once were, Rolex, IWC, TAG and the like are very expensive for the quality on offer and I think a little ostentatious.
    Omega are good value, have in house movements and are a very innovative company, I like mine.

saleem
    Free Member

Can't go wrong with a rolex as I've had several over the years, try Tom bolt at http://www.watchguru.com as he's top boy and now designs for dunhill in his spare time, watches from £295- £180.000 for a rolex split second (only 20 made),Rolex are machine made but they keep value as I've only one left now but It's now nearly double what I paid for it,Try a panerai luminor,at £3k as they've stainless,rubber and leather straps at good prices……..George pragnell sometimes has s-hand
    http://www.pragnell.co.uk/

alpin
    Free Member

skiboy – Member
    get a rolex,

………….. keeps the most amazing time,

WTF… how can you tell?

i think it's crazy how much people spend on watches. rather than being a functional item they've become yet another penis extension show of wealth much like a car.

and does anyone ever use the extra dials on the chronograph watches?

i recently bought a new watch previoulsy having had this for seven years

liked it beacuse it was very thin (3.5mm), light weight and water resistant. oh and it only cost me 70€. it packed up recently so i had to buy a new one. ended up with my first piece of Ti. again thin design (7.5mm). 140€
    it looks like this

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Very nice alpin, but IMHO it looks a bit naff. I wear better than that for work, and it gets battered. Why shouldn't men have nice bits of bling? Women do, so why can't we?

Anyway I've found a couple of nice Seamasters that are way over my original budget, but what the heck? It's only money and you can't take it with you. Bugger, I'm beginning to sound like ton. (Note to self – suicide is painless)

MTT
    Free Member

😯

The man asked for a £700 watch…

We have people suggesting Rolex, and Panerai… some of the worst watches money can buy at any price point!

JLC, Lange&Sohne, PP, AP, VC, Dorbluth…

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you must try an explorer, seamasters are right naff…

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

The man asked for a £700 watch.

That's not set in stone, quality comes first.

joolsburger
    Free Member

MTT people believe the hype nothing to be done.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you want quality give Rolex a miss

rkk01
    Free Member

Always surprised by the variety of Swiss watches advertised / on sale when I've gone to Switzerland… UK only seems to get a very limited selection.

No idea if they're any good though

tragically1969
    Free Member

Well FWIW i really like the Mondaine's, not too pricey but nice looking methinks:

http://www.mondaine.com/mondaine-watches/display/190

MTT
    Free Member

Stowa Marine Original – they come on a bracelet too. This is where i would put my money.

MTT
    Free Member

Or, ahem, i will be selling this shortly to thin out my collection;

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

How much for the Speedmaster? (just out of interest…)

MTT
    Free Member

Send me a PM (no address in your profile)

redthunder
    Free Member

G-Shock

Job Done.

cranberry
    Free Member

I would suggest that you buy 2 watches – a cheap one for out on the fells and a pretty one for show.

For the cheap one, I'd suggest a Casio radio controlled solar powered watch* ( I got one for £70 ish – it always tells the correct time and will never need a batter replacing ). For my good watch I have a Junghans solar/radio controlled Mega Solar.

* There are some around that aren't totally ugly 🙂

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

You have an email MTT…

cpon
    Free Member

Second vote for Sinn, clear legible dial, hard wearing, with a decent swiss automatic, now sold by Jura Watches.

Also see Timefactors.com: Speedbird III or PRS-3 great value at under £400, both with swiss auto movements.

If you're looking for a quartz watch an Omega Seamaster or Tag Aquaracer could well be within budget with some dealers offering good discounts at the minute.

C

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I need a new watch. Suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.