Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 211 total)
  • I need a full Susser !!
  • weeksy

I noticed the other evening that softer pressures made my HT a lot nicer, I dropped them down to 25 or so tubeless and was loads softer and felt great.

moonsaballoon

It’s a 29 er hardtail you have isn’t it ? Would it take 27.5 plus ? My Solaris is pretty comfy , the tyres add a bit of comfort at 15 or so psi and I find it great fun to ride

singlespeedstu

Lets cut to the chase here Renton.
    You have a history of changing bikes because none of them are right for you.
    You then tell us you’ve hardly ridden for a couple of years.
    This might sound harsh but it has to be said.
    It’s not the bikes(any of them) it’s you.
    I’m not trying to insult you but just take the bike you have or any bike it doesn’t matter and ride it.
    Then when you’ve ridden it to death decide what you do and don’t like about it and try a few test bikes.
    Then maybe think about replacing it.

angeldust
    Free Member

It’s not the bike. It’s just not. Nobody enjoys riding as much as they would like when they have been off the bike and are not fit. I suggest keep the current bike, keep riding, improve your fitness and see if it gets better. You will need to be patient. Why not give it a try? It then you still don’t like the bike, consider something else.

In terms of bike choice, hardtails can be a joy, if the terrain is right. I ride both hardtails and FS (as well as full rigid) and choose the right bike according to mood and where I am riding. Does space and funds allow for more than 1 bike? You might have to accept that a mid spec hardtail and a mid spec FS might be a better option for you in the long run than a single high spec bike? Don’t do that yet though, persevere with the current one.

angeldust
    Free Member

Swap to a FS now and it will be ‘too heavy’ or some other niggle/excuse. Accept that riding won’t be as much fun until your fitness improves, but the effort will be worth it. Hardtails can be great, just give it a try.

Poopscoop

Ok, the following is about me, not renton. So we are clear.

I got to a stage where building up bikes, upgrading them, rebuilding them (for no real reason) became more attractive than riding them.

I threw money at upgrades, tools etc as well…. it felt good. Suffering from depression didn’t help, mind.

Even so,I lost sight of the basics. A bike just became a machine. Nothing more than a PC on a desk to tinker around with. The riding almost became an inconvenience/ irrelevance.

For reasons I won’t go into, this year might be my last chance to ride the SDW again (been putting that off since I first ride it back in 2010!). That’s really made me evaluate a few things.

I recently(ish) built up a second-hand frame/ bike and as usual enjoyed it. Trouble is,I knew I had to RIDE it this time to make the investment even remotely worth it and to actually help me with a few things in life. Worrying lack of fitness (48yo), weight, depression and a few other things.

So that’s what I’ve been doing. I ride to the shops, to mates or actual off road riding. Heck, straight tarmac if I can’t be asked to get muddy! Lol

I’m getting there. Slowly. Pun intended.

I still tinker with the idea of upgrades. No doubt I will buy more bits over time. However at least I can now kind of justify it as I am riding the bike. 🙂

On Thursday I am setting off to wild camp** the SDW over the course of a few days on a bike and tyres more suited to the Alps. 🙂

It’s going to hurt and I don’t know if I will make it. Bike making an odd noise from linkage (I think) and was contemplating replacing all the bearings and putting off the ride/small adventure….

Just another excuse.

Before you know it winter is here and I will ride the SDW “next year for sure”.

If the bike breaks, or I do, at least I gave it a good go. 🙂

Deliberately NOT mentioned the actual bike I’m riding as it really is Not About The Bike.

The above is about me and me only. I don’t presuppose to think other people might feel the same or relate to what I have said.

There you go though. I throw my self psycho-analyst at the SDW communal feet! 😀

Back on topic,I hope you really find what you are looking for renton.

** Bivvy, no change of clothes, some tools and a debit card. My back can barely cope with the bladder full in the camelback since neurosurgery.
    Nothing will be left behind, just a flattened bit of grass in the morning.

Not camping, just going to “fall asleep next to the bike.” 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck poopscoop!

renton
    Free Member

^^^^ What he said !!

Fair play to you poopscoop.

Maybe I do need to have a good look at myself.

Cheers all.

NormalMan

Poopscoop – Member
    On Thursday I am setting off to wild camp** the SDW over the course of a few days

In light of all you have said (and alluded too), chapeau! and all the best with it.

Apologies to the OP for sliding a tad OT.

singlespeedstu

Maybe I do need to have a good look at myself.

You just need to either ride or realise it’s not for you at this moment in time and try something else.

Poopscoop

renton
    Fair play to you poopscoop.

Maybe I do need to have a good look at myself

Sorry mate, really didn’t mean it that way.

It’s just for myself I had to take a round about route to find what biking is to me now rather than what it used to be years back.

What you want from biking and what it means to you are no doubt very different. Which is absolutely fine!

I’m trying to say that my post wasn’t meant to be negative in anyway.

Apart from the negative aspects I point out about myself! Lol

Yes, everything really is about me, me, me. 😀

(Thanks for the well wishes guys and sorry to go off topic renton.)

Wally

Poopscoop- flipping heck, bravo.
    Renton – I find Riding with mates gets me out more and banter is very important to a ride. Being egged over a dodgy plank over a ravine full of murky water makes a fun ride.

Good luck chaps.

renton
    Free Member

Poopscoop.

A lot of your post I can relate to if I’m honest. I think I do enjoy the buying and selling part a little more than riding if I’m honest.

That never used to be the case and Im not sure what’s made me change.

Poopscoop

renton – Member

Poopscoop.

A lot of your post I can relate to if I’m honest. I think I do enjoy the buying and selling part a little more than riding if I’m honest.

With me the change started when one day I realised what I was doing. No epiphany or anything. Just started to sink in that the bike is worse than useless if I didn’t ride it.

I know, I know… its so obvious. I just got sidetracked somewhere along the way.

No idea why I got myself into that mindset. Just life I suppose. lol

Oh, also doing the whole low carb diet thing too. Will be breaking it for the SDW though. Flapjacks and a bit of whisky before I sleep…. as I get what I call my “Blair Witch half hour”….. where I start to imagine a pile of sticks or stones arranged next to me during the night!! Whisky helps with that. 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

No beer…. The seat tube was too long to get the dropper post low enough so as my legs weren’t over extending whilst pedaling.
    I could of got rid of the dropper but really like them.

Hence if it was an inch shorter in the seat tube it would of been ideal.

And based on that you decided it would be better to sell the Salsa on, rather than try a different dropper (less travel), or other alternative?

After reading the thread where you immediately sold it on for a profit, I was tempted to suggest we should leave you to your own stupidity, but to your credit you were man enough to admit you were being a dick, and greedy.

Good to see you are being realistic. Go out for a ride and enjoy the bike you have!

renton
    Free Member

Look I can’t keep apologizing for what happened with the salsa can I.

I was hoping things had moved on since then but I guess not.

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re after a buying and selling rather than doing hobby, can I suggest getting a guitar, amp and loads of pedals? You can lose yourself in making silly noises whilst forever hunting ‘your’ sound. 😉 Or just accept that for quite a while going mountain biking is going to be more brutal than fun, until your fitness adapts.

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

weeksy

Some people are like dogs with bones on here.

I personally can’t wait to hook up as I’m riding your HT to see if its better than the t130. I don’t understand your HT phobia but obviously I understand the logic that HTs are more harsh than FSs, anyone who can’t grasp that is completely crazy IMO.

If you want a FS, don’t let anyone else try to persuade you otherwise.

dumbbot
    Free Member

It’s an easy trap to fall into, if I just have that new/fork/wheels/boost this/carbon that..everything will be perfect,all bullshit of course. Don’t get sucked in, ride.. pedal further.

roverpig

I’m sure I said something similar earlier in this thread; when you were still in denial 🙂

To be fair, it is indeed an easy trap into which to fall. There are lots of smart people whose only job is to make you feel dissatisfied about your bike and once you realise that you can actually afford to buy shiny new things it’s hard to resist the temptation.

Personally I find that keeping a record of everything helps. Then when I feel the urge for something new I can look at my stats and realise that I’m just being daft.

wrecker
    Free Member

My £0.02; Rents seems to be spending a lot of money by trying not to spend a lot of money.
    He’d probably be best off demo-ing a LOT of nice bikes, not reading too much about them then deciding on exactly what he wants and saving up or getting 0%. This buying and selling might be fun but (with the exception of the Salsa 😉 ) costs a few quid to do.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Renton , I think your mtb buying is similar to my putter buying when I used to play golf . I bought lots of different putters and every time I bought a new one I visualised holing putts from all over the place but when I used the new putter in anger it always worked out to be no better than the putter it had replaced . After a while , a lot of putters and a decent sum of money , I finally realised that somebody who is good at putting can do it with virtually any putter .

damascus
    Free Member

Renton.

I think you need something to aim for, a goal, something personal to you, something you can get your teeth into to motivate you. Concentrate on that, commit to it.

I entered straffpuffa this year and it made me ride even when the weather was bad as I had a goal.

I noticed my fitness improving with every ride and it made a big difference on the day. I concentrated on beating my own pbs and friends I rode with but not top tens I had no chance of getting.

I was still average, I got overtaken, but I was proud of my own effort and I didn’t let the team down.

weeksy

damascus – Member

Renton.

I think you need something to aim for, a goal, something personal to you, something you can get your teeth into to motivate you. Concentrate on that, commit to it.

I entered straffpuffa this year and it made me ride even when the weather was bad as I had a goal.

I noticed my fitness improving with every ride and it made a big difference on the day. I concentrated on beating my own pbs and friends I rode with but not top tens I had no chance of getting.

I was still average, I got overtaken, but I was proud of my own effort and I didn’t let the team down.

I think the problem with that is that unless the goal is all consuming then the problem of enjoyment and desire kicks into the equation.

Becuase he’s currently fat and slow, he’s not enjoying it… because his bike isn’t helping him then that means it’s a vicious circle of enjoying it less because of the bike… Which then means he doesn’t get out because he fails to enjoy it all round.

The new bike being a FS may help with the comfort/enjoyment which in turn will help pushing up the fitness, dropping the weight and the ever decreasing circle goes in reverse….

Of course, the opposite may happen and he just finds out he’s fat and slow on whatever bike and wastes money 🙂

I do agree though that an event can give that push, mine was the trip i’ve got coming up next weekend and the events in July of the SDW double, that’s pushed my weight down and fitness up.

angeldust
    Free Member

Of course, the opposite may happen and he just finds out he’s fat and slow on whatever bike and wastes money.

This. Note that numerous FS bikes have been dispensed with for feeble reasons almost as quickly as the current one.

russyh
    Free Member

Renton, what do you actually want from MTb’ing? If it’s to get fitter then a few times areouns Swinley over a couple of weeks/months ain’t going to cut it regardless of bike. If it’s just enjoyment then, my suggestion is that you look to ride somewhere else other than Swinley. Which, in my experience is a pretty woeful pedalfest. being a serial bike swapper is fine, if that’s what you enjoy. It’s your money. Perhaps avoid starting an new thread waxing lyrical about your new bike then another thread a week later saying how it’s not for you. You won’t get such grief that way!

mark90
    Free Member

I rode Swinley a few weeks back. If that was my local regular ride I’d probably take up golf instead. A pretty uninspiring place to ride. Admittedly here in the SW we’re pretty spoilt for good places to ride.

I bought a couple of bikes last year and spend plenty on bits/kit so get that there is enjoyment with new stuff buzz. But for me it it’s the trails and the people that inspire me to get out riding.

Yes I was often at the back struggling to keep up with the quicker guys, but my fitness has improved hugely since getting into riding properly around a year ago. If I was riding round Swinley on my own I would have given up.

Find some folks to ride with and go ride some nice trails, you’ll forget all about the bike and start enjoying the experience.

chiefgrooveguru

From my limited experience of Swinley but also feedback from friends who visit regularly, it’s the kind of place that’s only fun if you have decent pedalling fitness. Hillier places you can suffer the climb, stop and rest and then enjoy a gravity assisted descent but Swinley basically demands you pedal when you’re trying to have fun.

prawny

I prefer buying stuff to riding I reckon. I’m broke though, so it’s normally shoes/pedals/grips. I start looking for my next bike as soon as I’ve settled on the current one.

No harm/shame in it, if it makes you happy do it. I dont understand how people are still riding round on 12 year old bikes.

Stevet1
    Free Member

prawny- Member
    I dont understand how people are still riding round on 12 year old bikes.

Because they take their time to research which bikes would suit them best, and they know what they want.
    Renton – as amusing as these threads are you seem a bit of an attention seeker, if you want a full sus go to a demo day, try a few then buy one. You seek validation from the forum for every decision you make, and then seem to thrive on the drama when you decide to change it up again. My opinion would be to stop reading forums and comparing yourself or your bikes to what other people are doing, come to an understanding of what you want and then quietly get on and do it.
    I wish you luck.

chakaping
    Free Member

No need to kick a man when he’s down.

My two cents – set yourself some do-able targets on Strava like 1,000m climbing a week or 4hrs riding, and gradually increase them as you get fitter.

It’ll start out feeling like a chore, then become a habit and you’ll enjoy it more and more as you see results.

From my limited experience of Swinley but also feedback from friends who visit regularly, it’s the kind of place that’s only fun if you have decent pedalling fitness.

Depends what you consider fun, but I reckon it’s actually a good place to get fitter because you do need to pedal to get anything out of it.

martinhutch

My advice would be to spend more time researching some rides you want to do rather than what you want to do them on.

Sod Swinley, I’m sure it’s a fun place, but maybe give yourself a bit of a road trip to Wales, Lakes, or Scotland. Don’t fixate on the bike, it will be just fine, and if you’re spending more of your effort looking at the view, or looking forward to the next big descent, you will quickly forget what bike you’re on.

It isn’t about the bike. Sometimes it’s about where the bike can take you.

legend
    Free Member

Not gonna lie, didn’t read all the previous pages but there’s a couple of important points here:

1. “MTFU”. That’s unfair, he’s RAF remember

2. Mboy has to make a living

3. Don’t discourage, his threads are fun!

renton
    Free Member

Ha, yes ?I do come across as an attention whore, my bad.

So having had a think about it Ive decided to give the bike a bit more time.

Im going to ride some local stuff and see how it goes.

I know I need to get fitter and Im working on that. I just remember how good I was at riding a few years back and it pisses me off Im nowhere near that good now and I find it really frustrating.

weeksy

renton – Member

Ha, yes ?I do come across as an attention whore, my bad.

So having had a think about it Ive decided to give the bike a bit more time.

Im going to ride some local stuff and see how it goes.

I know I need to get fitter and Im working on that. I just remember how good I was at riding a few years back and it pisses me off Im nowhere near that good now and I find it really frustrating.

But there’s no reason apart from you that you cannot be back to your peak. Many on here are at their lifetime fastest/fittest/best at the moment, myself included, the only thing stopping you is you… You have to get past the frustration and put in the hours, and hours, and hours…. even at slower pace than you’d like

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just to chip in…

Hardtails are ace but they do take some getting used. As many have already said, stick with it a bit longer and maybe try to find some more natural trails that won’t give you such a beating. Keeping your feet clipped in and being comfortable on drops is technique that will come with time.

As a side note a couple of years ago I treated my self to what I thought would be my ‘wonder bike’ I wanted to love it but it took me a good year to realise it just wasn’t for me. Not sure the point I’m making, I guess it’s that not every bike suits every rider but it did take a lot of time in the saddle to work that out.

renton
    Free Member

The thing is, on the right trail this bike is really good, it rails the berms like no ones business and just wants to go fast. However on the sit down pedally stuff its got quite a harsh rear end, I tried lower psi in the tyre and it was squirming around all over the place.

My fitness isnt allowing me to go fast all the time though.

kayla1
    Free Member

Why not try flats and trainers instead of clipping in? That way you won’t need to wear specific shoes to ride your bike and may be more inclined to take it out locally.

The sit down pedally stuff that’s knackering you out maybe needs a higher gear and for you to be out of the seat and soaking it up with your legs rather than sitting and spinning like you would on a FS. There’s a field near us with a lovely trail across it but it’s been ploughed in the past and has little rhythmy whoops and bumps all the way across it. I can sit and pedal on my FS but I need to stand up and pedal when I can on my HT. Different techniques, innit?

damascus
    Free Member

Try changing your rear tyre and not the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘I need a full Susser !!’ is closed to new replies.