Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I met my mate's new bird today
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& she’s lovely!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/y6A6Bn]Goshawk 003[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

What do you reckon?

lowey

Stunning!

racefaceec90

what a beauty 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Lovely breast markings

bearnecessities

At least she wouldn’t even bother boiling the bunnies.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Quite a beak on her.

honeybadgerx

I take it she’s got her claws into him?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Maybe she’ll turn her beak up at all these lame attempts of wit. 😛

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

don’t get in a flap about it

rOcKeTdOg

Does he exercise it over the council tip?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Apparently she only has two brain cells (not unusual for a female!) One says, ‘fly as fast as you can’ & the other says, ‘kill anything in sight’.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beautiful..

Better wild though.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

“Can it fly?” “Its flying now Sir”

trademark
    Free Member

Goshawks make awesome hunters. I wanted one to replace my Harris Hawk but they need to be flown, preferably, three times per week and I just couldn’t commit the time so would’ve been unfair on the bird.

I bought a Giant Trance instead …

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Goshawks make awesome hunters. I wanted one to replace my Harris Hawk but they need to be flown, preferably, three times per week and I just couldn’t commit the time so would’ve been unfair on the bird.

Luckily (?) Sam is 65 & retired, he’ll spend more time this winter flying the Goshawk than he will with his Mrs!

stevestunts
    Free Member

he’ll spend more time this winter flying the Goshawk than he will with his Mrs!

I’m 38 and still working, but on the basis of that comment, where can I get one of these Goshawks?

trademark
    Free Member

I envy him. Flying birds of prey is so exciting.
    Will he hunt with it?

kayak23

Fence wants treating.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Will he hunt with it?

He will. He’s already got permission to fly it on a golf course which has loads of rabbits, & some farmland.

I’m 38 and still working, but on the basis of that comment, where can I get one of these Goshawks?

He went to Derbyshire for that one, from North Yorkshire, paid about £800.
    I can’t wait till he’s got it up & running in the winter.

enfht
    Free Member

I would.

matt_outandabout

Goshawks are amazing things – there was a bbc documentary once about how they fly so quickly in forests, including how they can ‘fold up’ into a neat torpedo shape to fit through gaps in trees… Absolutely brilliant things – I have never seen one in the wild, but would love to.

wallop

Birds are awesome.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/sb8aE0J_avw[/video]

zippykona

My parents used to leave their budgie in its cage in the conservatory.
    A bird of prey had obviously been eyeing it up and decided to attack.
    Flew slap bang into the conservatory.
    That budgie never spoke but I’m sure I heard him call his attacker a ****.

MoreCashThanDash

Flown Harris Hawks a few times, not tried Goshawk. Was astonished a few few weeks ago when I was out riding locally there were 3-4 occasions when I met people out with Hawks, just randomly out and about. All very friendly and keen to chat about their birds.

nbt

I caught Mrs NBT messing around with a good looking bird at the weekend

Harris Hawk by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

sharkbait
    Free Member

Want.
    Always wanted a bird of prey since since handling golden eagles in Scotland. We live in the right property but our lifestyle isn’t perfect so still waiting.
    (wwas/will be starting with a HH as supposedly easier to ‘learn’ with, but the Gos looks amazing)

fionap

If anyone’s interested in goshawks specifically, and enjoys reading, then you should find ‘H is for Hawk’ by Helen MacDonald. It’s not a simple piece of science/nature writing but is more in the poetic form of Robert MacFarlane etc. I read it late last year and it’s stuck with me since – powerful writing.

From the blurb:

‘In real life, goshawks resemble sparrowhawks the way leopards resemble housecats. Bigger, yes. But bulkier, bloodier, deadlier, scarier, and much, much harder to see. Birds of deep woodland, not gardens, they’re the birdwatchers’ dark grail.’

As a child Helen Macdonald was determined to become a falconer. She learned the arcane terminology and read all the classic books, including T. H. White’s tortured masterpiece, The Goshawk, which describes White’s struggle to train a hawk as a spiritual contest.

When her father dies and she is knocked sideways by grief, she becomes obsessed with the idea of training her own goshawk. She buys Mabel for £800 on a Scottish quayside and takes her home to Cambridge. Then she fills the freezer with hawk food and unplugs the phone, ready to embark on the long, strange business of trying to train this wildest of animals.

‘To train a hawk you must watch it like a hawk, and so gain the ability to predict what it will do next. Eventually you don’t see the hawk’s body language at all. You seem to feel what it feels. The hawk’s apprehension becomes your own. As the days passed and I put myself in the hawk’s wild mind to tame her, my humanity was burning away.’

Destined to be a classic of nature writing, H is for Hawk is a record of a spiritual journey – an unflinchingly honest account of Macdonald’s struggle with grief during the difficult process of the hawk’s taming and her own untaming. At the same time, it’s a kaleidoscopic biography of the brilliant and troubled novelist T. H. White, best known for The Once and Future King. It’s a book about memory, nature and nation, and how it might be possible to try to reconcile death with life and love.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I tried reading that last year ….. too much personal stuff for me.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I met my mate's new bird today’ is closed to new replies.