Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I love Gumtree… Raleigh Super Burner shed find…
  • sas78

My new project bike….

Umpteen years in a shed and liberated to me.

Just needs a saddle, pedals, a chain, tyres and a little tlc…

https://goo.gl/photos/2LG3rYMuP4Bm4kcGA

Ooooh I love her!

sas78

How do you embed photos… Argh!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice find!

sas78’s golden glory:

F me that is in good nick.

sas78
    sas78

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

What did you pay for it? I’ve got an old one in my parents garage!

makkag
    Free Member

Great Find – Lucky git – i found an old peugeot at a clients house not so long ago – would love a super burner though id keep that !!!

sas78

65shekels, which I thought was good? It has seen a lot of life but the frame is good and the scars add character!

I was misty eyed, I must admit but it’s gorgeous.

jimdubleyou

Needs Skyway wheels.

makkag
    Free Member

very good price that!!

sas78

I thought so too makkag!

Jim, the super tuff byrner hag mags, this model didn’t. Check me getting all retrobike on it already…

Needs some pads too… 😀

sas78

According to the frame stamp it’s an August 1982 MK1…

crikey!

Pook

My mum gave my Raleigh Burner to the next door neighbour’s grandkids. They have it away.

mechanicaldope

My dad took my old Raleigh Chopper to the dump 😯

midlifecrashes

I used to sell them in Uptons in Middlesbrough when I was the Saturday boy. Raleigh Burners on one side, Ataris, Vic 20s and Speccys on the other. Jumpers for goalposts…

johndoh
    Free Member

Pfft – the Bomber is where it’s at. A proper precursor to mountain bikes. I loved mine – flying down the sets of steps at school when my mates on their BMXs had to get off 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

I had a Mag Burner and I think it got taken to either the tip or charity shop when I got a Mountain Bike.

When Nan went into the care home, I was hoping I was wrong about the Burner and that I’d find it at the back of the shed but no luck.

Still got the Mountain Bike though a 1988 Raleigh……

Spud

Same one I had as a kid. My folks sold is when we emigrated to Oz as “you won’t use it’. Yeah right, everyone cycled to school. **********!!!!!! I remind them of this frequently, I’d love one again just to reminisce.

bodgy
    Free Member

Amazing! That was my first ‘proper’ bike. It annoyed me at the time that the gold rims were just a plastic laminate and only lasted until you applied the brakes.

johndoh – yup. always wanted a Bomber. Eventually got a 2nd hand ‘Maverick’ . . . but it wasn’t a Bomber. 😐

burko73

I had one just like that when I was a kid. Post chopper and pre raleigh record sprint… Great memories.

It was a bit classier than the mag wheeled super tuff burner… i remember the gold laminate peeling off. think the frame had a gold coating as well that could be peeled off!

pictonroad

Nice find. I was walking to a meeting a while ago and saw a burner for sale outside an old school lawnmower repair place for £25. Needless to say I caused quite the stir walking into the meeting room suited and booted, gold and maroon burner by my side. 8)

choppersquad
    Free Member

My mate had a Bomber when we were kids.
    Everyone took the piss because we were all on racers.
    Who’s laughing now?

sas78

Ha, some great memories there. My original burner was traded in against a Raleigh Maverick in Grierson and Graham Dumfries.

Happy days and I am still beaming at my find!

My Maverick was awful, brakes didn’t work, it weighed a tonne but I loved that bike!

copa
    Free Member

Smart. I had one with ‘bendy’ ACS-Z rims.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

See, it’s ok, but i actually have an original bomber, which i restored. It’s a great bike, but just that bit too small

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My old BMX died a sad and sorry death behind the shed :-(. Idiot Galactic dictator, it had a no mame frame but Ame Triangle grips, VDC Monkey Bars ( a work of art), Suntour 4 bolt step, shimano DX brakes levers, rental layback post, TBH it was a bit of a silk purse out of a sows ear but I wish I’d kept it.

mark90
    Free Member

My super burner was nicked out of my parents garage. It was upgraded with skyways and CW bars.

johndoh
    Free Member

Everyone took the piss because we were all on racers.

Everyone took the piss because we were all on racers my mates called it a Raleigh Bummer.

I didn’t care because Motorhead had an album / single called Bomber and that was enough for me.

kayla1
    Free Member

I had a red and yellow bum basic one that was nicked less than a year after I got it 🙁 Then I got a second hand chrome burner which was also nicked 🙁 Then I bought my cousin’s ultra burner for £50 and rode it at uni until I sold out and bought a GT Outpost… gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

OP- it’d look rad (yes, correct use of the word in this context) with black Skyways and CW bars, possibly with an Aero number plate on the bars too-

skinwall Comp III copies are cheap as chips too 😉 It will also need a braced layback post and an Aeroyal seat-

I’m living vicariously through this thread 😆

sas78

Well, stripped her last night and she’s in amazing condition for a 34yr old! Bearings dried out but really just needing some tlc. Even the freewheel was serviceable! So off to the bike station for bearings, cables, this morning. Maybe look for a seatpost, it took some serious persuading so a new one is required!

Wish I could get the embedded pics but here

https://goo.gl/photos/WWcAemtSMQgrTNCo8

tenfoot

Looks good. I had an ultra burner with Aero mags and Renthal bars. Sold it in my late teens for £50. What a mug.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh man those were the days.

Had a chromo Falcon Pro with yellow Skyways and C dub bars…. And a layback post that had further bent, making it a layback layback.

sas78

It’s making me all misty eyed doing this.

Waxed the forks and they came up great, all the oxidised paint just polished off.

Now got bearings, cables etc…

Let rebuild commence!

sas78

Well, she’s done. New cables, bearings, tyres, tubes, chain, and pedals.

Might get her some repro pads, and a saddle.

I love it. 😀

steveoath
    Free Member

Great job!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I love Gumtree… Raleigh Super Burner shed find…’ is closed to new replies.