Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • I love Eggbeaters, but this is the last straw……
  • nickf
    Free Member

Having tried some SPDs a year back, I was struck by just how solidly clipped in I felt compared to the “I know I’m clipped in but it doesn’t feel like it” Eggbeaters.

I genuinely love my Eggs, and I’m gutted that a company which can come up with a decent design can’t manufacture it properly. But I’m simply not prepared to reward them (by continuing to buy their products) for crappy product durability. Given that they’re designed as a mountain bike pedal, one of whose prime advantages is that they’re great in mud, the fact that they seem incapable of surviving said mud is somewhat ironic.

Karinofnine

I have them on all my bikes, I love them. I change the bearings regularly though. I accept the extra maintenance as the price I pay for light pedals that are easy to clip into, don’t mess with my knees, clear mud easily and look great.

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t Look make some of the same licensed design but with proper bearings?

isitaboutabicycle
    Free Member

I use SPD’s, but I’ve had loads of problems compared to my dad who’s on Time. I’d prefer to switch to Time eventually. 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Didn’t Look make some of the same licensed design but with proper bearings?

Yes, and they are supposed to last a lot longer.

Wouldn’t stop the axle snapping, though.

Andy

(Time ATAC XSs on all three bikes; no mechanical issues with the one pair of CB pedals I’ve tried but didn’t use them long as I didn’t like the ‘feel’)

alpin
    Free Member

you kept buying them for six years despite having had problems with them previously?

crazy….

ride with flats? flat is where it’s at.

b1galus
    Free Member

i use different pedals on different bikes, last year i cycled to Gibraltar from here with a set of CB eggbeaters cos they were the best fit with my sidi shoes after 5300 kms they were (and still are) going fine . i was advised to use something (anything ) else due to concerns about their longevity . however i took a service kit with me and never used it i will be switching to eggbeaters on most of my bikes the only one that won’t get a set is my sunday road bike

bellerophon
    Free Member

bakes – Member
    I have an unmaintained pair of crank bros candys that are a year old and another pair on order. Am I going to die?

Nope, I’m still using five year old mallets which have gone from bike to bike. I’ve carried out one service in that time, although there is now quite a bit of play creeping back in, also my cleats are shot. Can’t decide whether to service them again or get something else…?

shortcut

No issue with times here. Been using them ages and aside for the squeak they make until you lib the seal that are ace.

Been running time for about ten years with no catastrophic failures couple have died but still been usable. So recommended!

MrH
    Free Member

I’ve just switched back to shimano XTR after 5 years – I snapped the tip of an axle on a pair of quatros, had several bearing failures on candy pedals (despite regular rebuilds), and had play developing leading to clicking noises, and a bent titanium axle etc, etc. Most of my riding was commuting to work. For £80 you can get top of the range shimano spds, about the entry level for crank Brothers

jordie
    Free Member

i had enough of Eggbeaters and moved to Time Atacs the first pair were great 2 years and no problems. The next pair i bought were pants the metal bit that clips you in snapped after 4 months as it was hollow So £80 down the drain.I have switched back to good ole shitmano the £20 a pair version and they are standing up just great.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘I love Eggbeaters, but this is the last straw……’ is closed to new replies.