Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • I know it's illegal, but…what road seatpack?
  • crikey
    Free Member

Essentially, yes.

The idea/theory is that sweat is largely hypotonic; i.e. it’s a very weak electrolyte solution, despite tasting salty. Therefore, as you sweat, you lose far more water than salt, effectively increasing the concentration of electrolytes in your body.

Adding an electrolyte solution in the form of a sports drink actually messes this concentration up even more, as does the advice to drink x amount of fluid every x minutes.

The theory that I like best is that the body is actually quite good at determining what it needs, and that drinking should be done to thirst, rather than any set schedule.

The science bit is here;

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search/label/muscle%20cramps

I work on ITU, and see this kind of manipulation of electrolytes, in particular with regard to AF as a regular thing. I would give 20 mmols of magnesium in 40 mls of fluid as a once a day thing, or potassium as 40 mmols in 40 mls over 2-4 hours.

In exercise, as a preventative, I wouldn’t know what is best, but I think there is more to it than drinking ‘lots’.

mustard
    Free Member

The Ortlieb one looks like rattling hell.

It’s only the contents that rattle a little if badly packed, I need to put the solid bits in between the two tubes rather than around them. The bag/bracket doesn’t rattle at all.

ourmaninthenorth

crikey – cheers for that 😀 . Might revert to water and eat the odd banana and a few nuts now and again.

Maybe the cardio was right – I need to chill.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s only the contents that rattle a little if badly packed

That’s what I meant. Can you cinch it up with a toestrap?

crikey
    Free Member

I come from an old and probably ‘too macho for it’s own good’ generation of roadies, but I think the pendulum swung a bit too far the other way in terms of sports drink and supplementation. We used to go out with a single bottle, and always have some left, even after 80 -100 mile rides.

I think that is wrong.

But I do read on here about people who drink 3 litres in 3 hours while out on a 15 mile mountain bike ride and think they are taking in far more than they need.

The article and website I suggested is interesting in terms of the physiology of exercise, and documents the way that the sports drink industry have monopolised the conversation in the face of any reputable science.

Besides, it’s hard to get dehydrated in bloody Manchester at the mo!

ourmaninthenorth

Ah, Manchester and its rain. Was home until last year, when the rain and WIND of West Lancs has become the playground.

I’ll read that article later. Cheers.

mustard
    Free Member

Can you cinch it up with a toestrap?

Hadn’t actually thought of that, I’m not sure as there is a semi-rigid side. I’ll investigate and report back when I’ve got the CO2 inflators tomorrow and have seen how much I can cram in.

I’m sure Crikey will be glad to hear I’ve finished my last couple of rides (one 70ish and one 90ish km) with one still full bottle (500ml) and a dribble in left in t’other. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

LOL, I did 40 odd yesterday and finished with virtually all my drink left; it was so cold that I couldn’t manage to hold the bottle to drink!

Northwind

Ortlieb for me… Good fixing, reasonably big. There’s a version with an integrated light, which is nifty. But mainly because they’re so waterproof- I remember opening the tailpack on my old commuter to take out the multitool and discovering it had rusted solid.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Same as before. Smallest Spec works fine for me or the Topeak thats almost identical. 1 tube, 1 lever, 1 co2, 1 valve, 1 small allen ket set.
    It lives on the bike. Well 3 actually . Its easier to have 3 sets than to forget to swap and the Cx bikes has 38mm tyres whereas the road bikes has 25’s

carbon337
    Free Member

I use the Lezyne caddy sack – little man bag (as the wife calls it) its like a small purse but I fit in a tiny one23 tool, 2 tubes, levers, 2 co2 and a co2 head. All in my middle jersey pocket.

Another alternative is a Rapha bag – rolled and placed under seat with a leather toe clip strap – google it.

I use a small Rapha bag to put my phone in and a set of spare boxers in to wear at work – fold it and that goes in another jersey pocket.

Saddle bags are ugly – end of.

druidh
    Free Member

Another fan of the wee Ortlieb one here. I also have one of the 3 Litre Ortlieb bags for longer trips and it uses the same seat-clamp,so it’s easy to swap around. I like having (a) everything I might need already on the bike so I’m not hunting for it/forgetting it and (b) nothing in my pockets.

Whydot

Ourmaninthenorth – It’s a grey medium bag. Fits under a saddle ok. Been dragged around a lot of places without any falling apart issues… All still together and intact!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have an ortleib tailpack – good bit of kit and spare brackets can be bought so its easy to have it on more than one bike Hard wearing and waterproof

ourmaninthenorth

carbon337 – I wasn’t ware of the Rapha tool roll. I like that.

I always stop short of ~buying Rapha kit, feeling I ought to be more of a rider to justify it.

If I had time, I’d probably make something similar.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Saddle bags are ugly – end of. “

you talk like scott mills on radio 1 ….. i still marvel that he is allowed on radio talking like a spazz

h4muf
    Free Member

I use a BBB tool bottle.

WP_000053 by h4muf, on Flickr

It has 2 cx tubes,multitool,Puncture repair kit,emergency lights,cableties and gaffertape.

Haze

I use the Lezyne caddy sack – little man bag (as the wife calls it) its like a small purse

I bought one of the smart wallets (think it was this one), but haven’t used it yet.

“Sized to fit traditional jersey pockets”, unfortunately it seems both my Shutt and Rapha jersey’s don’t fall into this catergory.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just got the samllest Topeak “strap on” and it seems pretty good for road use – two tubes, levers, Park patches, mini-tool, keys and few pound coins and still room for a bit more if I needed.
    Wouldn’t bother with the QR version – heavier and the “other side” of the QR mount intrudes into the pouch interior, also the “strap on” gives more variety of mounting positions and the straps let you cinch the pouch up when it’s not full – all for under a tenner 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

cheers hilldodger.

I ought to have guessed that STW would give me such a wide range of choices..!

(And zero agreement, even on those silly Rules)

zovelo
    Free Member

One other thing about those Topeak packs – The strap-ons are great but the QR, clip-on versions aren’t quite as resilient for off-road use, especially the larger sizes that are heavier with more stuff inside. The clip part can break under the strain of off-road bumpiness. So, for MTB use the Topeak packs are excellent but avoid the quick-clip version and go for the Strap-On.
    I also like being able to say Strap-On several times on a public forum with impunity.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I also like being able to say Strap-On several times on a public forum with impunity.

😀

and is it just me that sees those Topeak aero packs as potentially “Blackadder style codpieces” 😳

ourmaninthenorth

potentially “Blackadder style codpieces”

Depends what size you’re looking at. So to speak.

mustard
    Free Member

Pics as promised.

2 tubes, 2 CO2+head, 2 Pedros levers, multi tool and a wee patch kit in a Park quick patch box.

I don’t think there’ll be any rattling with the CO2 filling it up but i’m pretty sure a toe strap could be used to take up any slack.

h4muf
    Free Member
    dogbert
    Free Member

Did i miss the fashion memo? when did seat packs become a faux pas?

mustard
    Free Member

I take it all back – it is a rattly hell; it must be from the bracket as, with the way I’ve packed it, there is no way it was the contents 👿

Ah well, I’ll need something bigger to fit a spare tub in soon anyway 🙂

when did seat packs become a faux pas?

when every MAMIL on the road decided they have to (try too) look like a member of the pro peloton at all times!

ourmaninthenorth

Mustard – cheers. Good of you to do that. It evidently takes a lot of kit.

I think I’m going to stick to the specialized or topeak “strap on” packs (ooh matron) and wind them up tight.

Feeling like opting out of the pro peloton look and taking an early departure into steel touring bikes, leather saddle packs and a beard… 😉

mustard
    Free Member

Waaaayyy ahead of you on the beard front, worryingly though I’ve just been got on the start list for my first road race *bricking it* – may need a trim for next weekend!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘I know it's illegal, but…what road seatpack?’ is closed to new replies.