Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • I know it's illegal, but…what road seatpack?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Listen, I know the rules. Seatpacks are for wimps etc. Well, I also know my own mind and am happy to use one.

I’ve been using a tiny Spesh one , which has done OK until the zip went on Sunday just before I was about to leave (causing disproportionate rage and the contents firing across the garage *ahem*).

Suggestions for something teeny that’ll take the following:

Tube
    Levers
    Multitool/allen keys
    Chain tool
    CO2 head
    CO2 bottle

Ta..! 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

Surely all that fits in your pocket?

To be more on topic, I use a medium size topeak one. Fits my crap in barring the pump leaving the jersey free for raincoat, pump, glasses and recently my maps.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Screw the rules. I’ve just finised David Millers autobiography, and he’s using one, so if it’s good enough for him…

Anyway, I’ve just bought one of these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7361&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Micro one btw.

ransos
    Free Member

Carradice zipped tool roll.

Haze

Lezyne?

I’ve got the micro version which is tiny, doubt you’d get all that stuff in it but could be used as an overflow if/when you’re running low on space etc.

I bought the next size up for off road as I could barely squeeze a spare mtb tube in the micro. It fell apart after one lap around Cannock’s famous braking bumps, so beware if you intend to use it on multiple bikes 🙂

c_klein87

if you use a fizik saddle their clip-in saddle bags are good, small version fits tyre levers, tube, puncture repair kit/allen keys

avdave2

I’ve just finised David Millers autobiography, and he’s using one

Too many drugs to fit in his pockets?

ourmaninthenorth

Hate carrying all that sh-t in my pockets. Bad enough with the other crap.

I like a neat little seatpack that I can cinch tight to the saddle/seatpost.

I had thought of Lezyne, as much of their stuff is so well made. Not so sure now…

Allen keys to be pared back from selection to just a couple.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’ve just finished David Millers autobiography

Doesn’t that make it a biography?

Getting coat …

kayak23

Doesn’t the support car carry everything?

brassneck

It’s a bloomin sight easier to just roll out if it’s all in a seatpack.
    Hence why I have also fitted a little mini pump ‘holster’. Shoes on, bottle in cage and away you go.

Plus it saves things wearing holes in your nice tops, all my nice clothes are for road use 🙂

EDIT: forgot to add I use a little expandable Topeak thing, so I can squeeze an extra tube or two in for longer rides. Pockets are for food.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this one, huge bags look gash, but for stuff that comes out on every ride and for quick local loops the only stuff (1 spare tube, patches, CO2, levers and a multitool) I’d rather have them on the bike ready rather than searching for them. That and it’s nicer having the soft stuff (clothing, maps, food etc) in pockets rather than the lumpy stuff.

Does anyone make a doubledecker one? One part for the above list of essential kit, second just big enough for mobile, keys and a money clip/debit card?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Another occasional Topeak wedge user here, great little pack and expandable so you can fit a gilet/waterproof.

ourmaninthenorth

Does anyone make a doubledecker one? One part for the above list of essential kit, second just big enough for mobile, keys and a money clip/debit card?

My phone, card, cash (note) and keys go in plastic bag in pocket. Might get a small case for this (Lezyne or *whisper it* Rapha).

EDIT: scrap the Rapha idea – it’s 40 quid. Even I, a spendthrift by nature, can’t face that.

sputnik
    Free Member

Just clicked Trailofdestruction’s link and it is a ‘Topeak Aero Wedge Strap On”…
    And bigddugsbaws confesses to also be an occasional user of a Topeak Strap On… 😯

brassneck

EDIT: scrap the Rapha idea – it’s 40 quid. Even I, a spendthrift by nature, can’t face that.

LoL, I looked at the wallet this morning, and realised I wouldn’t have anything left to put in it.

A Jimi is my preference for cash, card and id. Use it all the time now rather than a real wallet.

ourmaninthenorth

sputnik – like all well mannered people, I averted my gaze from their ghastly pronouncements.

Whydot

I use a Lezyne one for commuting and occasional mtb. Bombproof so far, and I’ve had it for about 4 months with no issues. Fits tube, levers, gel and small rear light.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stick it in your back pocket – guarantee there will be once that you forget something important ! – youll be at your furthest point and puncture or snap a chain …..

ourmaninthenorth

whydot – got any idea what size? I want as small as poss.

Haze

My Lezyne after the ‘notorious’ Cannock braking bumps…

Wasn’t even near to being full either, think I had a tube, levers and a small multi-tool in it. Everything else was in pockets.

Small one on the road bike has been fine, but then it gets a relatively easy life.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

stick it in your back pocket – guarantee there will be once that you forget something important ! – youll be at your furthest point and puncture or snap a chain …..

I think the point was if it’s all on the bike you can’t forget it. Whereas I must waste hours of my life searching betweent he tourers panniers, various sized camelpacks and the kitchem worktops for the correct multitools, chain links, tubes etc for whatever bike I’m about to ride. I’ve now got seperate sets of most things in the Camelpack and panniers, just the road bike to sort out.

crikey
    Free Member

Use a cut off bottle.

3 allen keys, or multi-tool, 2 tubes, tyre levers (for other peoples tyres…) CO2 cartridge, wrappedd up in old bit of cloth to stop rattles and to wipe hands with.

It takes up one bottle cage, but unless you are on of these ‘I need to drink three times my body weight whenever I’m in the vicinity of a bicycle’ types, you can manage rides of 50-60-70 miles comfortably with one bottle.

drofluf
    Free Member

I use a Brooks D Bag that matches my saddle

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a spare little Fizik one that clips into any Fizik Saddle if you want it?

mustard
    Free Member

I like the wee Ortlieb micro I’ve got, prob not the lightest but well secured, neat and no straps to rub your post 😯

I do need to rearrange the contents though as they were driving me mad rattling at the weekend.

Should carry all you need, I’ve currently got; 2 tubes, multi tool, patch kit and 2 pedros levers and think I’ll be able to squeeze CO2 head and 2 carts in their too when they arrive – will update tomorrow when I’ve checked.

Would there be any interest in a cheaper version of the Rapha? I’ve been thinking of busting out the old sewing machine when/if I’ve a bit of spare time in April.

EDIT

‘I need to drink three times my body weight whenever I’m in the vicinity of a bicycle’

Hi 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a Pedros one that is made from recycled inner tubes…

Coyote
    Free Member

Got a cheap Bell one from ASDA. Cost £5. Does the job just fine.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve used Arkel seatpacks for the last 5 years. Reliable, secure and waterproof.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my point was that if you stick it in your pocket you will forget something once

i have separate kits on most bikes

ourmaninthenorth

Teeto – don’t use fizik saddles (yet), so will pass this time. Cheers.

I used to do a 60 mile chaingang onone bottle, but these days I’m conscious of dehydration and the effect on my health (tedious heart issues), so I tend to ensure I’m properly hydrated.

The Ortlieb one looks like rattling hell.

Lots of other choices (and models to avoid – Haze..). Cheers..!

ourmaninthenorth

Those arkel bags look too wide for my chunky thighs.

crikey
    Free Member

60 miles with one bottle is properly hydrated; you don’t need to drink for the first 10 miles if you set off hydrated, you don’t need to drink for the last 10 miles because you’re almost home, the middle 40 miles represents about 2.5 or 3 hours, and is perfectly doable with 750 mls of fluid.

For longer days out I either stop and fill up with water at garages, or tuck a tube and a multi-tool and a CO2 cartridge into a pocket, and use 2 bottles.

The majority of your riding will be 40-50 miles or less, so the bottle cage plan is a good ‘un.

ourmaninthenorth

crikey – I know what works for me. I need to ensure that magnesium and potassium levels are kept up to avoid atrial fibrillation issues. I’m no longer as well conditioned as I used to be, so these days I like to be hydrated well to begin with, during and after.

13thfloormonk

The Lezyne one I had was bizarrely badly designed, the velcro strap was too long for a 27.2 seatpost, I’ve somehow managed to rub through the material on the TOP of the pack, and the big shiny zip jingles as you ride.

I’ve since used the Ortlieb Micro, really nice bit of kit (as seatpacks go) and any rattling can be cured by wrapping things in an old sock. However, I realised that the micro carries so little stuff that I might as well just carry it in my pockets…

aP
    Free Member

Those fi’zik clip bags aren’t worth the time of day. I’ve broken one within a month and the SO broke one leaving the house immediately after putting it on for the first time.

crikey
    Free Member

Fair enough, I give magnesium and potassium in smaller volumes at work for AF, but if you need the volume, you need it.

…although remember that as you sweat, the concentration of electrolytes in your body will rise, not fall, so water is better at maintaining blood volume than electrolyte solutions…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I got a perfectly good one in Decathlon for about £5.Like others I`d rather have everything on the bike ready to go rather than faff around.Hate stuff on my back too.But I also often use a seatpack and a bottle rather than a Camelbak too………

ojom
    Free Member

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Timbuk2-LB-Seat-Pack-2012022012/

these arrived this week – very nice indeed. Massive great big red bit that shines under light.

mind your STWTBC code…

ourmaninthenorth

Fair enough, I give magnesium and potassium in smaller volumes at work for AF, but if you need the volume, you need it.

…although remember that as you sweat, the concentration of electrolytes in your body will rise, not fall, so water is better at maintaining blood volume than electrolyte solutions…

OK, so this interests me, as I’m doing all this by guesswork (medical advice yesterday was “chill” – yes, cardiologist said that, as well as telling me to “be a free spirit”).

So, you’re saying that actually what I need to do is drink water and not worry about electrolyte uptake so much?

I have lone AF, so not yet a big issue…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘I know it's illegal, but…what road seatpack?’ is closed to new replies.